• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Decline of Christianity and Religion

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
Good grief, why bring animals into the discussion; please stick to humans.
The scenario does involve humans. And it does happen. I brought animals into the scenario to give perspective on why we need to differentiate and define what we decide is right or wrong and why. Lest we devolve into anything goes, everything is okay, and normal becomes meaningless as long as it feels good and is consensual.

setarcos

Wrong seems to be modified by the size of one's bank account and political/religious power. Reverend Schuller's son (also a reverend) had his pants down in public, penis sticking out, bottle of booze in one arm, scantily clad blonde in the other, and the picture was in the newspaper. Power corrupts. If they focus, instead, on what they could do for others, many more would live, and many more would be more comfortable.
That just goes to show us that no one is above debauchery. What the heck was he thinking?? I know...he wasn't. I don't think power corrupts. I think power simply enhances the corruption that is within you. If you have little corruption by the grace of God then you can wield the power you have wisely. If you have much corruption...then you end up in destructive situations on the front of a newspaper.

setarcos

Love is the same (I think) between Gays and Straights. Homosexuality has to do with sex with the same gender.
I agree. However as I've said, Love does not define the preference. I can and have loved other men. My father being one. I am not a homosexual.
So homosexuality is defined by sexual preference not Love. And unfortunately both preferences often mistake Love for their sexual preference.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The scenario does involve humans. And it does happen. I brought animals into the scenario to give perspective on why we need to differentiate and define what we decide is right or wrong and why. Lest we devolve into anything goes, everything is okay, and normal becomes meaningless as long as it feels good and is consensual.

Legally, animals, and children, can't consent.

setarcos

Legally, animals, and children, can't consent.
Legally does not mean actually. If we define consent by ones willing actions then they can. But then Legally in this case involves understanding the consequences and implications of ones actions. In children its clear that their thinking is not developed enough to determine these things properly. In animals though, I know of no one who has determined that a fully developed animal cannot give consent. Actually, in animals the only way to determine consent is by their unforced actions I believe.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Kentucky ranks just below average in terms of literacy at #29 - not in the top ten.

The ten States that rank the highest in terms of illiteracy are - in ascending order -

California, New York, Florida, Texas, New Jersey, Georgia, New Mexico, Nevada, Mississippi and Louisiana.

Six out of the ten States with the lowest literacy rates are Bue States - so it seems pretty evenly split and would therefore imply that literacy rates are not determined strictly on Party lines.

U.S. Literacy Rates by State (worldpopulationreview.com)

Kentucky is considered the 6th poorest State.

Most of the poorest States are Red States - makes you wonder what whole "white privilege" thing is all about - doesn't it?

Poorest States In America For 2021 (roadsnacks.net)

Kentucky is 10th highest concentration of people who claim to be religious in their population. The top ten are all Red States - save Georgia.

The 25 Most Christian States In America - WorldAtlas

I believe Kentucky still is number one for neglect and abuse of children - they blame drugs and poverty for it.

Kentucky child abuse: Still worst state in US for child abuse, neglect (courier-journal.com)

Six of the top ten States with lowest literacy rates are Blue - so if you believe that illiteracy is a metric for intelligence - then evidence would suggest that it's the Leftists who are the dummies.

And I think a more appropriate adage would be, "Keep them ignorant and afraid."

The Leftists love keeping their constituents in the dark and terrified.

your might want to revise your literacy ranking. Looks like Kentucky is 37 out of 50; which has only recently changed and probably due in part to the influx of immigration to california and/or texas.

kentucky's majority percentage is white; where californians have a much higher percentage of latinos, hispanics, and asians than kentucky. kentucky also probably has a higher rate of evangelicals; which are associated with the GOP

upload_2021-12-16_12-24-20.jpeg

upload_2021-12-16_12-26-18.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-16_12-22-55.png
    upload_2021-12-16_12-22-55.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 1

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm not disputing that BUT the topic has been changed instead of answering the original question.

I don't think that the followers are the problem. I think that preachers don't understand or follow God's commandments, despite their fine educations in fine universities. For examle....God said "thou shalt not kill" but Reverend John Hagee said that we must pray to Jesus to win the war (that is, kill more effectively).

"Winning war" is not necessary the same as "kill more effectively". And the commandment is actually, don't murder, which is unlawful killing. In some cases killing can be accepted, in the Bible, for example death penalty. But still, if one is a Christian, which means a disciple of Jesus, it would be good to go with this:

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

It is unfortunate that often Christian teachers don't seem to know much, and especially don't teach much of what is said in the Bible.

setarcos

I'm not disputing that BUT the topic has been changed instead of answering the original question.
Has it though....you mentioned Christians classifying same sex marriage as sin and Love as if that equates to how we define same sex marriages. I was simply attempting to explore with you what or if you consider anything a sin (something that is wrong to do) by clarifying terms and perceptions. Same sex marriage was mentioned by you not me so it became part of the conversation. You seem to speak with disdain about Christianity and their defining certain things as sin. Why? Do you believe no entity has a right to define what sin is? Or do you just believe that Christianity is wrong in how they defined what sin is?

setarcos

Who mentioned sex outside a marriage and unprotected sex?

If two single people want to have casual sex, then it is fine. IMHO
If you believe that casual sex...inside OR outside of marriage has little effect beyond satisfying ones current desires then I think your being naïve. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out that the indifference toward having casual sex with no more thought about it beyond satisfying an urge is a symptom of humanities self destructive behaviors. Current and past.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Has it though....you mentioned Christians classifying same sex marriage as sin and Love as if that equates to how we define same sex marriages. I was simply attempting to explore with you what or if you consider anything a sin (something that is wrong to do) by clarifying terms and perceptions. Same sex marriage was mentioned by you not me so it became part of the conversation. You seem to speak with disdain about Christianity and their defining certain things as sin. Why? Do you believe no entity has a right to define what sin is? Or do you just believe that Christianity is wrong in how they defined what sin is?
You should have asked, "What do you consider to be a sin?"
The topic being discussed is "the decline in Christianity", I brought same-sex marriage into the conversation as one of the reasons I believe Christianity is declining.
I believe Sin is a religious term/concept. What is right or wrong is judged by our courts/laws.
Christianity may have its thoughts on what is wrong or right but so has the secula world and in many ways they differ.

Altfish

Veteran Member
If you believe that casual sex...inside OR outside of marriage has little effect beyond satisfying ones current desires then I think your being naïve. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out that the indifference toward having casual sex with no more thought about it beyond satisfying an urge is a symptom of humanities self destructive behaviors. Current and past.
I did NOT say casual sex inside marriage is ok. You make a commitment by becoming married, you should stick to that commitment unless the marriage is breaking down.
It may not surprise you but it is happening. Most people have many sexual partners before they settle down, if you just see consensual sex as an 'urge' leading to 'humanities self-destruction' ok, but I disagree, and again it is another example of religion being out of step with the population.

setarcos

I brought same-sex marriage into the conversation as one of the reasons I believe Christianity is declining.
That is interesting....how does those two things correlate with each other in your view?
I believe Sin is a religious term/concept. What is right or wrong is judged by our courts/laws.
What sin is religiously speaking needs a new thread for sure. What is right or wrong Judicially, secularly, or otherwise and whether any of those overlap or source their definitions from the same criteria could feel another thread on its own. I'd like to discuss them with you but as you said...we would stray far from the original question here related though it may be.
I must ask though, how do you think Christian views differ from secular views on what is right and what is wrong?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
You always have termination or adoption or acceptance

People are not always mature enough to handle those decisions. The hardships could be avoided if people were more responsible with their minds and bodies. Casual sex isn't without risks, so prior thought and discussion at least lessens them somewhat. Engage mind before body.

Reactions: DNB