• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Days of the Week

Bishka

Veteran Member
I was reading and article on the Baha'i Faith on wikipedia and it mentioned that the days of the week have specific names such as Glory, Perfection, etc.
Could someone explain this to me? And the reasoning behind it? Thanks!

arthra

Baha'i
Hi Becky!

Thanks for the great question!

The Bab revealed the calendar that is by and large still in use by Baha'is... We call it the Badi Calendar and it has nineteen months with nineteen days in each month which comes out to 361 days... We add four days for the full 365 day calendar or five days to make up on leap years..

The hallmark of the Badi calendar is that each day and month is named after an attribute of God...this keeps our focus on glorifying God every day of the year...

See the following:

Calendar Badi Bahai

You'll note the days in our Gregorian calendar are still named after gods like wodens day (Wednesday) or Thors day for Thursday and so on...

Steinninn

Viking
No, the days of the week also have names after an attribute of God.
Saturday is Glory
Sunday is Beauty
Monday is Perfection
Tuesday is Grace
Wednesday is Justice
Thursday is Majesty and
Friday is Independence

But what about the badi clock? Are there still 24 hours in the day, 60 minutes in an hour, 60 seconds in a minute?

arthra

Baha'i
SaturdayJalalGlory

Sunday-Jamal-Beauty

Monday-Kamal-Perfection

Tuesday-Fidal-Grace

Wednesday- 'Idal-Justice

Thursday-Istulal-Majesty

Friday-Istiqlal- Independence

I had a son that I named 'Idal (Justice) as he was born on a Wednesday and another son born in the month of Sharaf (Honor) was given the middle name "Sharaf".

Technically the Baha'i day begins at sunset, rather than midnight so many Feasts and Holy Days begin after sunset the day before the Gregorian calendar day of the Feast or Holy Day.

As far as I know the hours remain the same for practical purposes..I've never heard of any change in regard to the names of the hours of a day..

Most Baha'i calendars available start with Naw-Ruz and list all the months and sometimes the Baha'i days are named as well..

One of the books revealed by the Bab lists meditations for each day of the year based on the Badi Calendar, this has yet to be translated as yet but it is one of the largest revealed books in the history of religion.

- Art

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Greetings, greetings! :)

Technically the Baha'i day begins at sunset, rather than midnight so many Feasts and Holy Days begin after sunset the day before the Gregorian calendar day of the Feast or Holy Day

In fact, this is true of all the Abrahamic religions!

Officially, the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim days also begin at sunset!

This is why, for example, many Christians in fact celebrate Christmas on the evening of December 24.

Indeed, the official instructions in liturgical churches for things like the color of altar paraments say things like:

"White: From the evening before Christmas Day to . . .
From the Saturday evening before Easter to . . .

"Red: From the Saturday evening before Pentecost to . . ."

Regards, :)

Bruce

Steinninn

Viking
Greetings, greetings! :)
This is why, for example, many Christians in fact celebrate Christmas on the evening of December 24.

Including Iceland. When I was young I never understood why, in the movies, people opened their presents in the morning. Can't they wait until the evening?!? When in fact, they were waiting longer then I was. Hehe