• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daylight Saving Time

Should we keep Daylight Saving Time

• Yes, DST is very useful and necessary

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No, DST is not needed

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I just noticed that the rest of the country went back to Standard Time again - except for those of us in Arizona and Hawaii.

For me, it's not that big of a deal either way. I can do with or without Daylight Saving Time, but it does seem to cause some confusion because Arizona isn't synced with the rest of the country. Arizona even has its own time setting in Windows.

Do we even need Daylight Saving Time anymore? Does it really serve any useful public function? For those of you who live in places where DST is observed, would you rather keep it or do away with it?

After all, Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

leov

I just noticed that the rest of the country went back to Standard Time again - except for those of us in Arizona and Hawaii.

For me, it's not that big of a deal either way. I can do with or without Daylight Saving Time, but it does seem to cause some confusion because Arizona isn't synced with the rest of the country. Arizona even has its own time setting in Windows.

Do we even need Daylight Saving Time anymore? Does it really serve any useful public function? For those of you who live in places where DST is observed, would you rather keep it or do away with it?

When is daylight saving time falling back and how much does it cost the economy?

Mindmaster

Premium Member

In a practical sense I just think it's confusing.

Heyo

Veteran Member
DST is a prime example of a bureaucratic zombie. Its primary goal, energy saving through longer daylight in the evening, has long switched into the opposite through longer running ACs. But facts don't matter when an established order is involved.
The EU is planning to get rid of DST in 2021 - that's how long it will take to handle all the red tape connected to DST.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
We Hoosiers may have more nuanced views than most places.

Our western border is on the next time zone. So is Chicago. Our biggest, densest, population center is essentially Chicago. That's the northwest corner. The southeast corner is dominated by the Cincinnati area. For many years, one or the other city(I don't remember which) wasn't on DST.
Indiana had essentially 3 time zones, 2 of which were on DST.
Urbanites tend to prefer DST, because you get more daylight after work. Rural people tend to prefer daylight in the morning when decent folks are up milking cows and such...

It became a huge political football. But it became clear over some years. The main political supporters of DST were business interests, because people tend to spend more money in the evening than the morning. So everyone from Applebee's to Wal-Mart really wanted DST. Big retailers poured tons of money into the effort to make everyone in Indiana do DST. Not because it was good for the people, it's immensely profitable for big corporations. The advantages accruing to the people largely evaporated with electric lights and the 24 hour schedule of the modern world.
But it makes money. So now we have it, even though it's inconvenient and bad for health. People are designed to function best with a consistent diurnal schedule But that can't compete in the political world with profits.

Tom

PureX

Veteran Member
1r0ujv.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Stop and think about all the unsupported software that has DST built on and what a pain and problem it will be to manually change this. Some might be in commercial systems.

If that were not the case, I would not care very much either way.