• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dawkins Supports Intelligent Design... just not by God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketman

Out there...
The fact that you think it's a "panicky groupthink" says volumes. The opposition to ID is solely in reference to it being included in science classes or considered science at all. No one cares whether people believe in ID (well, nobody significant anyway). It's not an opposition to ID because of its religious connotation.
My own experiences must have coloured my opinion.

Most opponents of it, especially here on RF, don't mind it being discussed as a subject in a religion class or something like that. But until IDers can come up with any scientific evidence that could support their hypothesis, it simply isn't science and shouldn't be taken as anything other than a religious belief.
(If anyone tells me that ID shouldn't be in schools, or quotes the wedge document, or rants that ID is a front for religion for some poeple, not only am I going to scream at the top of my lungs at their having missed the woods for the trees regarding this post, I am genuinely going to throw up, violently. So please don't tell me what I know, folks).

The design inference can be discussed without invoking religion. Dawkins gave a good example free of religion, as refered to in the OP:

" .....by probably by some kind of Darwinian means to a very very high level of technology and designed a form of life that they seeded onto... perhaps this... this planet. Um, now that is a possibility. And uh, an intriguing possibility. And I suppose it's possible that you might find evidence for that if you look at the um, at the detail... details of our chemistry molecular biology you might find a signature of some sort of designer."

Dawkins said we would need to find a signature, but as yet we don't know what that is, or if there even is one. If we look at the search for extra-terrestrial life (SETI), there was a time when people weren't sure what would constitute a signature (which is where ID is at now), but then someone figured out that a radio wave at a certain wavelength would have a high probabilty of being unnatural, and that might constitute evidence of ET. There was never an apparent ET, but people have settled on a certain kind of radio blip as a signature, even though we can't rule out that there may be natural sources of such a frequency - yet when people want to investigate the apparent design inference, (which so far is truly more real than ET), the legitimate questions raised are quite innacurately and almost universally brushed off as 'a religious belief', to quote you.

There was a reason to think there may be aliens, because we figured out we lived on a planet, other stars had planets, and so there may be more lifeforms out there: it was all based on something that existed. Similarly with the design inference, we design and build things, we see things that appear to be designed, so we ask if they were. In actual fact, the search for a signature is not unscientific at all. The problem is knowing what to look for, and THAT is where ID is at in terms of research: just looking. They don't have a falsifiable hypothesis yet, so it's not testable by any measure (and I've always said that here on RF), but the current work to determine if irreducible complexity, (and specified complexity) can even really have a mechanism, and the work on mathematically evaluating extra-natural assemblies and so on will keep going until they develop a truly testable hypothesis. It's the attempt to define a hypothesis (largely a mathematical job btw) which occupies the minds of many who work on ID now.

For now the levels explored are shallow indeed. My own feeling is that the total levels of complexity that are required to be weighed up all at once are a bit beyond our capacity at this point, and so we will probably not see a testable hypothesis in this lifetime. But if I were running an academic institution and a scholar believed the search for a signature was a good thing, I would support them. On the other hand, if they deliberately worked to erode the cirriculum and/or claimed evidence of deity where there was none, we would have some unhappy words together, even though I am a theist. My challenge to the scientific community (of which I am a part) is to publish one of the many religion-free essays out there on infered design in one of it's major journals, in order to show once and for all that they are not biased. Certainly a massive array of evidence-free and claim-untestable essays have graced the pages of the major journals over the years, so in a way it would be nothing new.

I have always maintained that ID is not science in that it has no testable hypothesis, but there is a design inference, and there is nothing unscientific about attempting to form a hypothesis that might test for signatures. This is no different to the early days of any attempt to explain any observed phenomena, it can take a long time to define a hypothesis, and while there is no guarantee there ever will be one, there can likewise be no denial that there are scientific methods open to the attempt to form such a thing, which is what is going on now, just not in many halls of academia, sadly. If the search for a hypothesis for string theory and multiverses (even if it is just math) is allowed, then so should the search for a hypothesis regarding the signature test for the design inference.

I maintain without reserve that there is a degree of McCarthyism at work in the world on this topic, and while in some ways I can understand the dread fear some have of a return to the 'dark ages', nevertheless I think it's largely unfounded and it's high time we excercised our proclaimed universal values and allowed everyone with something legitmate to say to be able to do so, with some respect and manners, including around here. It seems to me that a root cause of this groupthink is more a result of a hopelessly low understanding of ID than anything else: the repsonses so instinctive and learned that even when someone like Pete raises a legitimate issue the reflexes kick in anyway. When a decent guy like Pete gets testy, you can bet it's because he feels he is is right about something, or at least right to ask questions, and not because he is trying to pull a swifty. I know ScubaPete has always defended evolution around here, and has been short with those who fight over ID on this site, and I hope people will just take a breath and get their head around that fact.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
What a shame. The mods and administration have allowed a total hijacking of this thread. It appears that it's open season on ANYONE who disagrees with a few atheists. 3/4 or more of the thread is completely off topic. Is there a mod warning? I am being bullied by a few here, and it's simply and completely ALLOWED. Why? I'm an ignorant theist.

What's more pathetic? You can be sure that this thread will disappears LONG before the hijacks and the personal smears are removed. It's more important to protect the NAME and REPUTATION of RF rather than creating a level playing field.

The fact is: Dawkins MADE those statements. It's on film and he can't take back those words. Too stinking funny!

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
What a shame. The mods and administration have allowed a total hijacking of this thread. It appears that it's open season on ANYONE who disagrees with a few atheists. 3/4 or more of the thread is completely off topic. Is there a mod warning? I am being bullied by a few here, and it's simply and completely ALLOWED. Why? I'm an ignorant theist.

What's more pathetic? You can be sure that this thread will disappears LONG before the hijacks and the personal smears are removed. It's more important to protect the NAME and REPUTATION of RF rather than creating a level playing field.

The fact is: Dawkins MADE those statements. It's on film and he can't take back those words. Too stinking funny!
This thread will come back to haunt you every time you make a comment about "out of context"...

I personally guarantee it.

Scuba Pete

I personally guarantee it.
Sounds like a credible threat to me! It's obvious that this thread will cause a few people, including a few notables, to stalk and harass me. I don't expect anyone will care as long as they get their jollies in.

But hey, thanks for keeping this thread off topic. You are to be commended for your tenacity in opposing any INTELLIGENT discussion about this.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Thus far ID has yet to prove or even hint that it can actually detect "design" in anything.

It certainly won't be given any scientific merit until it can address the massive gaps in its own hypothesis. Nor should it.

wa:do

Darkwater

97% trash is a more accurate representation when it comes to religious and thus *holy* scripture,Scuba Pete.

Is your thread worth reading from the start or would you be better starting afresh,on say the theist part instead of debating?

Cheers

DW

McBell

Sounds like a credible threat to me! It's obvious that this thread will cause a few people, including a few notables, to stalk and harass me. I don't expect anyone will care as long as they get their jollies in.
Still trying to play the martyr.

You are to be commended for your tenacity in opposing any INTELLIGENT discussion about this.
You started it with the first post...

But do not let that fact get in the way of your self crucifixion.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
cdizelda-hahahahwut.gif

McBell

97% trash is a more accurate representation when it comes to religious and thus *holy* scripture,Scuba Pete.

Is your thread worth reading from the start or would you be better starting afresh,on say the theist part instead of debating?

Cheers

DW
Post #1 is Scuba Pete quoting Richard Dawkins out of context.
Post #2 proves that it is out of context.
The next 100+ posts is Pete desperately trying to play the martyr.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Scuba Pete, let's be honest with ourselves. You claim that you're being "threatened" and "bullied" because people are disputing and refuting the claims you're regurgitating from the film. Let me ask you a question, did you actually watch the film with a critical and objective mind, or have you allowed your emotions get the best of you and as a knee-jerk reaction you posted these threads? The movie and its claims have been picked apart and exposed for the dishonest, deceptive and manipulative tripe that it is, and yet you continue to kick and scream as if it will change anything. The truth doesn't need to be defended by lies.

Win Ben Stein's mind - Roger Ebert's Journal
***** Spot » Ben Stein
Expelled Exposed: Why Expelled Flunks

Last edited:

Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete, let's be honest with ourselves.
Are you ready for this, yourself?
You claim that you're being "threatened" and "bullied" because people are disputing and refuting the claims
No. There have been VERY few posts that have dealt with that. There are many, many more that are merely poking fun at me, and frankly you are one of the biggest perpetrators. I believe this is the FIRST you have tried in this thread to open up the discussion. In your first post in here you merely answered yourself, rather than waiting for anyone to answer it for you. I don't even think it had anything to do with Dawkins, but with ID.

This thread is not about ID, it's not about the need for a few bullies to silence me with intimidation and ridicule. It's about what DAWKINS said in his interview. He's not even retracting what he said on his own website, but merely trying to make it sound like he was mislead. He was given these questions ahead of time.

While it was never intended to be, this thread has proven the thrust of the film: Get even CLOSE to ID and you will be harassed and ridiculed by the scientific elite and those who merely pretend to be the scientific elite.

A

angellous_evangellous

***Thread closed***

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.