• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily meditation practice... Why is it so hard to implement?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I do wish to be a better meditator, but I realize that it takes practice, and practice takes time. Time isn't always on my side. Between work and school... I just realized I have an assignment due in an hour.

I guess for me it's a thing about committing myself to a spiritual path. Not being sure who I am is always a thrill. I got to get off and do homework

Please comment on what you do to keep yourself active in your meditation regimen.

Tabu

I do wish to be a better meditator, but I realize that it takes practice, and practice takes time. Time isn't always on my side. Between work and school... I just realized I have an assignment due in an hour.

I guess for me it's a thing about committing myself to a spiritual path. Not being sure who I am is always a thrill. I got to get off and do homework

Please comment on what you do to keep yourself active in your meditation regimen.
Hi,
Depends upon the type of meditation you want to practice.
I practice the Brahma Kumari meditation , which is reassuring one self of the inherent positive qualities of the soul.
This involves repeatedly telling oneself , " I am a soul whose original nature is peace , power , love , mercy , purity, knowledge and Bliss. I practice this most of the time even while performing any other physical activity.
The other unique meditation which we practice is called the 'Rajyog' meditation , which is connecting with the divine.
Here we consider our self to be a soul , a point of light , and imagine travelling to the Soul world where we meet the Father of all Souls and receive all the powers of love, peace , purity , happiness , mercy and bliss , and fill our souls from that great Ocean. This I mostly practice when I have enough time , like before sleep or after waking up or any time in the evenings when I am free

Some of our meditations also include praising God through meditation songs and there are also some to manage different emotions . For beginners we have guided meditations available on You tube and some BK websites.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

For 30 + years I had no time. Family of 5 kids, work ( I taught school). So it was cut back drastically to inconsistency, or 5 minutes a day, about as much time per day as brushing my teach.

However .... even that little bit is important, because it keeps the subconscious mind alive to the thought of a deeper practice. During the 'busy' stage of life, expectations should be lowered.

I'm retired now, so its different. Comparing my life now with then with regards to time for stuff would be ridiculous.

RedDragon94

Depends upon the type of meditation you want to practice.
Mindfulness of breathing and/or mindfulness of thought?
However .... even that little bit is important, because it keeps the subconscious mind alive to the thought of a deeper practice. During the 'busy' stage of life, expectations should be lowered.
Nice to know that you can tone it down when life gets to be crazy. It seems like, at least for me, there's all this pressure to go longer when I just am not at that level yet.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Who says meditation is limited to a specific area or activity? Take it with you.
;0)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nice to know that you can tone it down when life gets to be crazy. It seems like, at least for me, there's all this pressure to go longer when I just am not at that level yet.

It's called 'keeping your foot in the door'. In my sampradaya, (Hindu school) there is a prescribed 10 minute sadhana for busy people. So the idea is that it's important just to do SOMETHING.

RedDragon94

It's called 'keeping your foot in the door'. In my sampradaya, (Hindu school) there is a prescribed 10 minute sadhana for busy people. So the idea is that it's important just to do SOMETHING.
Okay, do you know where any good guided meditations exist on the internet?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So it's just all the same line of thought, just different expressions?
I wouldn't say the same, but similar. We both believe in mosha or mukti, inward reflection, character transformation ... you know, all the important stuff. The biggest difference might be that Hindus tend to be theistic (although quite different from the Abrahamic God) whereas Buddhists tend to be atheistic.

As for meditation, there are tons of different methods and traditions within each vast array, Buddhism, and Hinduism. For me, generally its how comfortable one feels around the other, including in temples,

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So you're telling me I might actually be Hindu?
No, not at all. I would never say that because the individual decides, and nobody should suggest, coerce, or otherwise advise about anything as personal as faith. I was just stating a generalisation.

RedDragon94

No, not at all. I would never say that because the individual decides, and nobody should suggest, coerce, or otherwise advise about anything as personal as faith. I was just stating a generalisation.
I wasn't saying that you were coercing me, I just think that I'm inclined to theism. Can you tell me what the main thrust of the four schools/denominations is within Hinduism?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I wasn't saying that you were coercing me, I just think that I'm inclined to theism. Can you tell me what the main thrust of the four schools/denominations is within Hinduism?

Saivism, Vaishnavism, Shaktism, and Smarta are the main 4. All schools have quite a variety but there are generalisations too. It's kind of long to explain, so I'll recommend a book instead, called 'What is Hinduism?' Any of the introductory books would have the 4 sects.

But in a nutshell those 4 divisions are named by the name of God considered supreme.

The relationship between us and God can be dualistic or monistic.