• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily meditation practice... Why is it so hard to implement?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Saivism, Vaishnavism, Shaktism, and Smarta are the main 4. All schools have quite a variety but there are generalisations too. It's kind of long to explain, so I'll recommend a book instead, called 'What is Hinduism?' Any of the introductory books would have the 4 sects.

But in a nutshell those 4 divisions are named by the name of God considered supreme.

The relationship between us and God can be dualistic or monistic.
K thanks, I'll look it up. Sorry to keep bothering you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
K thanks, I'll look it up. Sorry to keep bothering you.
It's not a problem. I'm retired. It's just that that question is just so incredibly vast. Feel free to ask away.

lol It wouldn't be the first time somebody discovered something like that. I discovered it at age 18 or so myself. I knew what I believed but didn't know what it was called.

RedDragon94

It's not a problem. I'm retired. It's just that that question is just so incredibly vast. Feel free to ask away.
*Rabbit trail*

So, based on my line of thinking if the Supreme divinity is nature then all is one. What do you think about monism? Is everything sacred?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So, based on my line of thinking if the Supreme divinity is nature then all is one. What do you think about monism? Is everything sacred?

My school is called monistic Saiva Siddhanta, so yes I am a monist, believing everything is sacred. We wouldn't say that nature is God, but that God (we say Shiva) is found beautifully in nature. That's probably just semantics though.

editted .. link https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/what-is-hinduism

RedDragon94

My school is called monistic Saiva Siddhanta, so yes I am a monist, believing everything is sacred. We wouldn't say that nature is God, but that God (we say Shiva) is found beautifully in nature. That's probably just semantics though.
I guess that translates over nicely into ethics. Everything is sacred, therefore everything is worthy of respect/love/care.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
It becomes easier later in life or following debilitating illness or injury. I think part of the problem is that we are constantly surrounded by people who want or even need our time and labor, and as a result we are raised to devalue private labor. Most people spend most of their time either in labor for another, or in recreation to dull the pain and stress of the former. Prayer and meditation are work, not recreation, but work devoted to the self or to the gods, and the capitalist market has no use for either of those things, at least not from the body of the young adult. So we are encouraged to expend all of our "labor" elsewhere, obliging one to sacrifice "recreation" time if one wants to work on spiritual development. A fair enough bargain once embarked on and well worth it, but hard to initiate when one is exhausted and anxious from the day.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I guess that translates over nicely into ethics. Everything is sacred, therefore everything is worthy of respect/love/care.

Yes, that's why ahimsa (non-violence) is fundamental. Things like ecology, vegetarianism, kindness in thought, just follow that.

RedDragon94

It becomes easier later in life or following debilitating illness or injury. I think part of the problem is that we are constantly surrounded by people who want or even need our time and labor, and as a result we are raised to devalue private labor. Most people spend most of their time either in labor for another, or in recreation to dull the pain and stress of the former. Prayer and meditation are work, not recreation, but work devoted to the self or to the gods, and the capitalist market has no use for either of those things, at least not from the body of the young adult. So we are encouraged to expend all of our "labor" elsewhere, obliging one to sacrifice "recreation" time if one wants to work on spiritual development. A fair enough bargain once embarked on and well worth it, but hard to initiate when one is exhausted and anxious from the day.
Thank you, this is enlightening. I guess "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" rings true here.

RedDragon94

Oh, work is always work! But good work gives something precious back to you in return for the sacrifice.
As you can tell from my information I'm 22. Just wondering, are you much older than that? Because I just don't think in terms of how western culture (capitalism) works us to be selfish and only see the short term. I admire your wisdom.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
It is more that I read too much... wisdom would be if I put my clever maxims into action. I am 31.