• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curious about different takes on Atum?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I view him somewhat in the traditional way, and somewhat in a very eastern way. I believe Atum was the first and that all the creator gods eminated from him. That is a traditional view. I also believe that he is hidden in darkness, in that he cannot be seen or understood by anyone. The ancient prayer to Atum states he is "hidden in darkness". I also believe, and I may not be far off, that Atum is the god that all other gods eminate from. He is the fullness of the godhead, and that is why the creators are often syncretized with him- Atum-Ra, etc.

Rainbow Mage

The ancient texts say that Atum always existed, and that he will never cease existing. That Amun/Amen was his first emination, and that he is hidden in the darkness of Nun, unseen by any. Atum is syncretized with Ra, and Ptah is referred to as being the same as the highest one when he is called God of Zep-Tepi, or Lord of Zep-Tepi.

Troublemane

I have frequently wondered if the modern term for 'atom', which comes from Greek atomism, can be traced back to the god Atum? Perhaps Atum simply means "the undivided"? We could then call it the primordial fire, or undifferentiated oneness from which all things came. :angel2:

Rainbow Mage

That's a good question Troublemane. I've often wondered if the two are related myself. Atum is called the Complete One.

Onkara

Logically everything has to originate from something or somewhere, can multiplicity arise from multiplicity, not really in my opinion as it would imply there are multiples ad infinitum, there has to be a single entity from which multiplicity arises. So perhaps you are on to something? :)

Last edited:

Daniel09

Akera-Heru
As I know it, Atum was the first consciousness that emerged from the waters of Nun. It spawned the universe and the gods and pretty much just exists.