• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curiosity?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Did you manage to miss the word "likely"? There is no contradiction
No, I didn't. Nor did I see anything in the article that made any assumption regarding Earth and Mars trading rock.
I heard it out of the mouth of top scientists, saying 'We know", and I am sure, I would find it on more than 100 pages from Google.
Here ... You only need to hear the first two minutes.

danieldemol

Premium Member
What is the point of finding out the origin of life “out there”, if you can’t take care of the life that already exists here?
Overpopulation is a big cause of life not being taken care of here, and religion is a big driver of overpopulation.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Good questions nPeace. It always fascinates me that quality of life on Earth should come first......but it doesn’t. Imagine if all the money spent on space exploration was actually spent fixing up what’s wrong with life on this planet? No one would be short of good food, clean water, clothing or anything else.

What is the point of finding out the origin of life “out there”, if you can’t take care of the life that already exists here?

Perhaps the ulterior motive of investigating the possibilities of life elsewhere is actually to have somewhere to go once they have messed this planet up irreparably? And we all know who would get the tickets....:rolleyes:

We have not only messed up the planet but have left a trail of dangerous space junk orbiting up there making future space travel a whole lot more dangerous.
How can we imagine ourselves to be so clever when we are so incredibly stupid? :facepalm:
wall-e.jpg

nPeace

Veteran Member
Considering the difficulty you have with comprehending the scientific method, it's understandable that you're confused. Why are scientists speculating about Earth being seeded? Because that's how the scientific method works. You begin with an observation, such as: There is life on Earth. Then you speculate about possible ways that life could have started on this planet. You begin with a hypothesis, an educated guess. That is, it has to be something within the realm of what we know could be possible. For instance we know that there are living microbes that can withstand the harsh condition of space between planets. We also know that meteorites from beyond our planet have landed on our planet's surface in the past. Thus it is a reasonable hypothesis that living microbes on a meteorite could have at some point in Earth's distant past struck the surface and life was thus 'seeded' on this planet.

What does scientists speculating about how life began on this planet have to do with curing illness or stopping crime's like bombs going off in parking lots or schools. Are you on the opinion that if we didn't spend time exploring things like Mars and the moon that we'd somehow miraculously find a way to prevent people from setting bombs?

Oh, and yes its IS possible that it could have worked the other way around and that potential life on Mars could have been seeded from life on Earth.
So how would you find out the truth unambiguously?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Good questions nPeace. It always fascinates me that quality of life on Earth should come first......but it doesn’t. Imagine if all the money spent on space exploration was actually spent fixing up what’s wrong with life on this planet? No one would be short of good food, clean water, clothing or anything else.
You overestimate the money that is going into space exploration.
Military spending on the other hand ...
And I think that is a thing we agree upon, when we agree on little else, that much too much money goes to the military.

QuestioningMind

So how would you find out the truth unambiguously?

Over time and with continued use of the scientific method. If we can collect enough verified data then it's possible that we'll eventually reach an unambiguous conclusion. There are no guarantees that such data will ever become available, but it's an absolute certainty that we'll never find it if we don't make the effort to look.

For instance the hypothesis that the Earth orbits the sun was around for quite some time before we were able to gather enough verifiable evidence to conclude with certainty that the Earth does indeed obit the sun. If no one had ever searched for evidence to verify the hypothesis then we'd most likely still believe that the sun orbits the Earth.

ecco

Veteran Member
Imagine if all the money spent on space exploration was actually spent fixing up what’s wrong with life on this planet?
You are living with the benefits of scientific research and advancement. Would you prefer to be running around naked trying to kill antelope with a rock and then eating the raw meat?

Heyo

Veteran Member
No, I didn't. Nor did I see anything in the article that made any assumption regarding Earth and Mars trading rock.
I heard it out of the mouth of top scientists, saying 'We know", and I am sure, I would find it on more than 100 pages from Google.
Yes, Earth and Mars do trade rocks but the trade deficit between Earth and Mars is even bigger than between the US and China.
The power of an impact that can accelerate a piece of rock to escape velocity is necessarily much bigger on Earth than on Mars. Therefore we expect to find more Mars on Earth than Earth on Mars, much more.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Imagine if all the money spent on space exploration was actually spent fixing up what’s wrong with life on this planet?
Which organization would you prefer to mismanage the money?

ecco

Veteran Member
I listened to the first two minutes. What is the point you are trying to make? Do you not believe that bits of mars have landed on earth?

ecco

Veteran Member
'God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth"' Genesis 1:28 NWT is classic example, but there are other religions which place great emphasis on reproduction as well.
Let's not forget the Catholics who prohibit the use of birth control methods by their adherents.

nPeace

Veteran Member
'God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth"' Genesis 1:28 NWT is classic example, but there are other religions which place great emphasis on reproduction as well.

Then why blame religion and not God, for not making two women, or two men, or a man and woman with no ovaries.
You seem to exclude Atheists, and Agnostics.
Do only religious people have sexual intercourse? Or is everyone else homo?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Over time and with continued use of the scientific method. If we can collect enough verified data then it's possible that we'll eventually reach an unambiguous conclusion. There are no guarantees that such data will ever become available, but it's an absolute certainty that we'll never find it if we don't make the effort to look.

For instance the hypothesis that the Earth orbits the sun was around for quite some time before we were able to gather enough verifiable evidence to conclude with certainty that the Earth does indeed obit the sun. If no one had ever searched for evidence to verify the hypothesis then we'd most likely still believe that the sun orbits the Earth.
You have not told me how. All you did was say if, and it doesn't show how speculation will not be the best explanation.
So how will the scientific method allow anyone to replicate where life came from?

QuestioningMind

You have not told me how. All you did was say if, and it doesn't show how speculation will not be the best explanation.
So how will the scientific method allow anyone to replicate where life came from?

The scientific method is HOW... but only IF we eventually gather sufficient data. And no one claims that science will ever be able to 'replicate' how life developed on Earth. Just like no one had to 'replicate' the Earth orbiting the sun in order to determine that it does.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes, Earth and Mars do trade rocks but the trade deficit between Earth and Mars is even bigger than between the US and China.
The power of an impact that can accelerate a piece of rock to escape velocity is necessarily much bigger on Earth than on Mars. Therefore we expect to find more Mars on Earth than Earth on Mars, much more.
Does it matter? Besides that's anyone's wild guess, since you have to start with the presumption that Mars took the same number of hits than earth, or more, rather than earth being struck numerous more times than Mars.
It's all guesswork. Speculation. So how does that benefit anyone, is what's caused this ignorant cat to lose one life.

nPeace

Veteran Member
The scientific method is HOW... but only IF we eventually gather sufficient data. And no one claims that science will ever be able to 'replicate' how life developed on Earth. Just like no one had to 'replicate' the Earth orbiting the sun in order to determine that it does.
I always marvel at how you guys like to use phenomenon that can be observed, and use them to claim that things that can never be observed are verified unambiguously.