• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cults, Devil Worship and Satanism

Picture it, a story titled 'murderer allegedly leader/member of dangerous satanic cult.' I don't know what your reaction would be, but mine would be 'not again!' Many of these people are found to have some mental problem, yet somehow, that doesn't make a difference in the eyes of many and the Satanism described usually sounds more like devil worship.

My question, and the point of my thread, can we call devil worship, Satanism? Devil worship implies that the person acknowledges the existence of the Christian god and of Jesus. Therefore, isn't devil worship more a twisted form of Christianity, than it is Satanism?

Thoughts on this? And also, any thoughts on supposed 'Satanic' gangs and cults?

Fluffy

A fool
Well firstly I dont think my reaction would be "oh no not again" since I am strongly of the belief that there has been no cases of SRA for at least 300 years.

I also think that Satanism has 3 clear, seperate definitions. Devil worship does fall into one of these 3 but only because it has been labelled as such so much by the media that it is now an accepted term I suppose you could say. It is unfortunate that this leads to their confusion but you cannot "undefine" a word simply to avoid this. This kind of thing happens all the time in the English language with more everyday words. It would just be better if people were more educated so they could see the clear differences.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I've been questioning lately what the different types of Satanism are, as I've heard many definitions of the term. If I do not offend you by asking, what are your beliefs, Isis Astoroth?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
tight definition- a member of Anton LeVey's 'Church of Satan'.
Loose definition 1- anyone who follows or clames to follow Satan/Devil whatever.
loose definition 2- Evil cults that follow the 'christian devil' with the sole purpose of harming Christians and helping satan to 'rule the world'. This is the least likely to be actually encountered, but the most likely to be in the media. ;)

At least these are what I have found for definitions.

wa:do

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Well what i've read of the Satan is that he's working for G-d. So essentially...in that thinking...your worshipping one of G-d's angels

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
except that in most cases Satanism, like LeVey's Church for example, has nothing to do with the Judeo-Christian concept of Satan. He chose the name Satanism to **** off the 'goody-goody's' and draw attention to his movement.

wa:do

t3gah

Isis-Astoroth said:
Picture it, a story titled 'murderer allegedly leader/member of dangerous satanic cult.' I don't know what your reaction would be, but mine would be 'not again!' Many of these people are found to have some mental problem, yet somehow, that doesn't make a difference in the eyes of many and the Satanism described usually sounds more like devil worship.

My question, and the point of my thread, can we call devil worship, Satanism? Devil worship implies that the person acknowledges the existence of the Christian god and of Jesus. Therefore, isn't devil worship more a twisted form of Christianity, than it is Satanism?

Thoughts on this? And also, any thoughts on supposed 'Satanic' gangs and cults?
Devil, Satan and Beelzebub.. all the same bad angel from the scriptures about God, God's people and Jesus. But Devil and Satan aren't this angels names. They are it's titles. Beelzebub is it's name. Please see the definitions below from http://www.dictionary.com

devil

(Gr. diabolos), a slanderer, the arch-enemy of man's spiritual interest (Job 1:6; Rev. 2:10; Zech. 3:1). He is called also "the accuser of the brethen" (Rev. 12:10). In Lev. 17:7 the word "devil" is the translation of the Hebrew _sair_, meaning a "goat" or "satyr" (Isa. 13:21; 34:14), alluding to the wood-daemons, the objects of idolatrous worship among the heathen. In Deut. 32:17 and Ps. 106:37 it is the translation of Hebrew _shed_, meaning lord, and idol, regarded by the Jews as a "demon," as the word is rendered in the Revised Version. In the narratives of the Gospels regarding the "casting out of devils" a different Greek word (daimon) is used. In the time of our Lord there were frequent cases of demoniacal possession (Matt. 12:25-30; Mark 5:1-20; Luke 4:35; 10:18, etc.).

satan

adversary; accuser. When used as a proper name, the Hebrew word so rendered has the article "the adversary" (Job 1:6-12; 2:1-7). In the New Testament it is used as interchangeable with Diabolos, or the devil, and is so used more than thirty times. He is also called "the dragon," "the old serpent" (Rev. 12:9; 20:2); "the prince of this world" (John 12:31; 14:30); "the prince of the power of the air" (Eph. 2:2); "the god of this world" (2 Cor. 4:4); "the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience" (Eph. 2:2). The distinct personality of Satan and his activity among men are thus obviously recognized. He tempted our Lord in the wilderness (Matt. 4:1-11). He is "Beelzebub, the prince of the devils" (12:24). He is "the constant enemy of God, of Christ, of the divine kingdom, of the followers of Christ, and of all truth; full of falsehood and all malice, and exciting and seducing to evil in every possible way." His power is very great in the world. He is a "roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Pet. 5:8). Men are said to be "taken captive by him" (2 Tim. 2:26). Christians are warned against his "devices" (2 Cor. 2:11), and called on to "resist" him (James 4:7). Christ redeems his people from "him that had the power of death, that is, the devil" (Heb. 2:14). Satan has the "power of death," not as lord, but simply as executioner.

beelzebub

(Gr. form Beel'zebul), the name given to Satan, and found only in the New Testament (Matt. 10:25; 12:24, 27; Mark 3:22). It is probably the same as Baalzebub (q.v.), the god of Ekron, meaning "the lord of flies," or, as others think, "the lord of dung," or "the dung-god."

FeathersinHair said:
I've been questioning lately what the different types of Satanism are, as I've heard many definitions of the term. If I do not offend you by asking, what are your beliefs, Isis Astoroth?
In brief, I am a traditional Satanist, which means I follow Satan as a god. To me he is not a devil, because I do not believe in 'God', the devil, heaven or hell. Satan is simply a modern name for an ancient god.

Painted wolf, I do not think that there are any 'tight' definitions for the word Satanism. From my view, a Satanist is someone who follows Satan, and LaVey just took the name. That is my opinion though.

DianeVera

Isis-Astoroth said:
My question, and the point of my thread, can we call devil worship, Satanism? Devil worship implies that the person acknowledges the existence of the Christian god and of Jesus.
No, it does not imply this at all. Theistic Satanists, some of whom also identify as "Devil worshippers, hold a wide range of theologies, most of which use plenty of ideas from non-Christian sources. For details, see my article Who and what is Satan? Various Satanist reinterpretations. Relatively few theistic Satanists are what I would call Christian-based duotheists, and they tend not to last very long. (See my article A brief critique of Christian-based duotheism.)

Isis-Astoroth said:
Therefore, isn't devil worship more a twisted form of Christianity, than it is Satanism?
In most cases, no.

Also, you should not assume that most Devil worshippers are criminals either. (Please see my article Why "Satanic ritual crime" doesn't make sense even from a Christian point of view.)

Era

jewscot , is interesting what you say about Satan , you see this is the most known form of definition about Satan . Now if God is so perfect , why he created Satan? painted wolf , where did you get the ideea that satanism means exactly an inverted judeo-christianism ? As I remember from history , religion , judeo-christianism found it`s legitimity just because it is said that will free the world from evil . Satan , the cult of Satan exists long time before judaism or christianity . What LaVey did was to remember us this thing again . Satanism has nothing to do with christianity or judaism . Search some history and you`ll see that the major cults that you can find in satanism as a holl have their roots long time ago.

TheHeretic

I would not care, and Im not sure why you would.

If people want to remain ignorant, it is neither my will nor duty to teach them otherwise.

People that seek the truth have the gift of knowledge. The rest of them can go rot for all I care.

Era

That could be a way , but you know in my country satanism is not a religion , and we are call in many names , now I`m tired of this . They have to learn the diferences and have some respect since they bild their own religions on our back .

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

There are many ways to be a "Satanist", many paths... some of which do encourage the embracing of a life of crime and/ or maliciousness, or the belief and/or worship of an actual Devil as described in Abrahamic lore.