• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cult and abusive church signs

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I think some signs you might b in an abusive religion would be that they discourage you from asking questions You should be able to ask questions. Trying to get a lot of personal information from you also. I don't give out a bunch of information on me in the beginning ever. I know some places have you fill out paperwork.

Control over my appearance, people dressing alike no I don't go by dress codes. Dressing up conservative is good enough. What are some more signs?
The most obvious sign of a cult is that it has a charismatic leader who demands obedience, and uses fear and other abusive tactics to maintain that control. Shunning is very big among cults -- you don't keep the rules, ask too many questions, or God forbid you leave, and you are cut off from even your family, and threatened with things like eternal hell. Some cults will even go so far as to destroy the lives of those who have left.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I've been in some of the really restrictive dress code ones... Now I go to a church where everybody wears what they want to. The pastor usually has on Blue jeans.
The switch to casual apparel is not less restrictive. It simply sets a different set of clothing type as the norm. If someone decided to regularly wear a suit and tie to a church where the pastor wore blue jeans, such a person would be gossiped about behind their back as being snooty and holier than thou.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The switch to casual apparel is not less restrictive. It simply sets a different set of clothing type as the norm. If someone decided to regularly wear a suit and tie to a church where the pastor wore blue jeans, such a person would be gossiped about behind their back as being snooty and holier than thou.
Not. Like I say people wear what they want... Some people do dress up, nobody cares.

Riders

Depends on the church.

Riders

The most obvious sign of a cult is that it has a charismatic leader who demands obedience, and uses fear and other abusive tactics to maintain that control. Shunning is very big among cults -- you don't keep the rules, ask too many questions, or God forbid you leave, and you are cut off from even your family, and threatened with things like eternal hell. Some cults will even go so far as to destroy the lives of those who have left.

I was harassed at a couple of different fast food places I worked at. One of them Papa John's actually confronted the woman who was from my old church long dress long hir and all, she had come in and said she saw me goofing off and didn't get her order in time some and nonsense like that. My manager confronted her and said he would not fire me because it was her responsibility to let someone know in the store if she was inside the store and needed help.

EnsignRo

Cults cut you off from the people you love. There are some real dangerous cults out there. I actually did a unit on cults not long ago. It was an eye opener to see how dangerous these cults are.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When people get glossy eyed, have no minds, robotically quote only from their leader and scripture for anything and everything, it's time to get out of dodge.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think some signs you might b in an abusive religion would be that they discourage you from asking questions You should be able to ask questions. Trying to get a lot of personal information from you also. I don't give out a bunch of information on me in the beginning ever. I know some places have you fill out paperwork.

Control over my appearance, people dressing alike no I don't go by dress codes. Dressing up conservative is good enough. What are some more signs?

They're friends when you're part of the faith then they forget about you when you leave.

I chanted with SGI (Nichiren Buddhist organization) and they were friendly only when they wanted me to chant with them. Once in a blue moon I'd get a call and after asking how I was they'd go into coming back to chant.

Another is fundraising. I went to a convention and they had a huge screen of testimonies of people who chanted and received new jobs, cars, etc. Another is the amount of money they ask for donations-its in the thousands.

They also have a divinity like devotion to the head. I went to their organization headquarters and their library had books only written by the leader. They didn't have any books from The Buddha and all the commentaries were by the SGI leader.

Another is pet sayings or mantras such as "changing poison to medicine."

It's a humanism organization with a Buddhist (Ten Tai) overview through Nichiren lens but defined by the organization leader. They're not dangerous group here in the states but I've read they have more of a political issue overseas. Shoshu and SGI had pretty much the same history as the christian church schism.

Another is when members are really nice and down to earth but at the same time you can see this underlining connection they have like a magnet.

Soka Gokai International: Experience –

Riders

They're friends when you're part of the faith then they forget about you when you leave.

I chanted with SGI (Nichiren Buddhist organization) and they were friendly only when they wanted me to chant with them. Once in a blue moon I'd get a call and after asking how I was they'd go into coming back to chant.

Another is fundraising. I went to a convention and they had a huge screen of testimonies of people who chanted and received new jobs, cars, etc. Another is the amount of money they ask for donations-its in the thousands.

They also have a divinity like devotion to the head. I went to their organization headquarters and their library had books only written by the leader. They didn't have any books from The Buddha and all the commentaries were by the SGI leader.

Another is pet sayings or mantras such as "changing poison to medicine."

It's a humanism organization with a Buddhist (Ten Tai) overview through Nichiren lens but defined by the organization leader. They're not dangerous group here in the states but I've read they have more of a political issue overseas. Shoshu and SGI had pretty much the same history as the christian church schism.

Another is when members are really nice and down to earth but at the same time you can see this underlining connection they have like a magnet.

Soka Gokai International: Experience –

Yea my sister's old church always made a big deal out of the fact that they wear blue jeans and shorts to church and are truly nondenominational. They acted like they were more down-to-earth than other churches. But I could tell from being around them that they are hellfire and brimstone evangelistic conservative strict Christians

Riders

I think when I was in the UPC church I was searching for more than friendship. I was in psych wards for 3 years and failed high school, failed Jr College, and couldn't keep a job.. I was running away from home and living on the streets sometimes with strange men. I smoked drank but was not an alcoholic. I was on Xanax thought taking too many prescription drugs. I needed structure friendship, direction, and focus for my life. I was able to work in fast food places after getting into church for long term. The church would take credit for cleaning me up to some degree.

I renounced rockin' roll started listening to Christian music only and watching religious tv somewhat. I became a good girl. But I don't need that now. I am 54 and don't need a bunch of structure but my point is sometimes cults offer structure and focus and direction that other places don't. So sometimes people who are kind of lost like I turned to cults.