• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crowd Funded Border Wall Built

Would you likely contribute funds for border fencing?

• Yes: I'd likely contribute funds for border fencing.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No: I'd probably not contribute funds for border fencing.

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

Ellen Brown

Border security barriers along with screening equipment and body cavity searches at legal ports of entry will keep narcotics out of our nation.

I would hope so but my conviction is that the best solution is to take away the source of the need. The Drug producers are really only reacting to consumer pressure. I think it would ultimately cost much less to get at the root of drug consumption and do counseling to stop it.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Gee, I wonder where all that money is really going to go to. Bet someone is shopping for a yacht

I would hope so but my conviction is that the best solution is to take away the source of the need. The Drug producers are really only reacting to consumer pressure. I think it would ultimately cost much less to get at the root of drug consumption and do counseling to stop it.

Approximately $7 million out of the $22 million that the We Build the Wall go fund me has raised went to build the wall filling the border security barrier gap at Sunland Park, New Mexico, which is near El Paso.

Kris Kobach, former secretary of state for Kansas, said Border Patrol agents in the area have told him that hundreds of immigrants have crossed there illegally and more than $100,000 worth of drugs has been smuggled through the gap.

Privately funded border wall built at El Paso: 'Why wouldn't we allow it?' land owner asks

Ellen Brown

Approximately $7 million out of the $22 million that the We Build the Wall go fund me has raised went to build the wall filling the border security barrier gap at Sunland Park, New Mexico, which is near El Paso.

Kris Kobach, former secretary of state for Kansas, said Border Patrol agents in the area have told him that hundreds of immigrants have crossed there illegally and more than $100,000 worth of drugs has been smuggled through the gap.

Privately funded border wall built at El Paso: 'Why wouldn't we allow it?' land owner asks

Sigh... Perhaps the best drug solution is to not be part of the problem; don't do drugs... That way, perhaps those who do drugs and all the illegal things will eventually just die off. Decriminalize drugs, but help those who want it. We already know that laws and prisons don't do anything but create more criminal activity. I was briefly in Juvenile Detention when I was 14 and saw more than enough. What I am saying is harsh, but every other solution just has not worked.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I would hope so but my conviction is that the best solution is to take away the source of the need.
Bingo.

Drugs are a tiny reason for illegal border crossing. There are better ways to smuggle.
The overwhelming reason is that USA employers will give the undocumented workers jobs. Workers who don't have papers are cheap.

If the USA really wanted the stop the illegal border crossings, we'd give as many green cards as we are willing to hire foreign workers. Then crack down severely on the citizens who flout the law by illegal hiring.

I am not expecting that any time soon. Because undocumented workers are so profitable. They keep labor costs down and consumption up. That's great for the investment class, terrible for blue collar Americans. But the investment class buys the politicians and media, so nothing important will be done.

Trump's Wall is just a distraction from the real issues.
Tom

Ellen Brown

Bingo.

Drugs are a tiny reason for illegal border crossing. There are better ways to smuggle.
The overwhelming reason is that USA employers will give the undocumented workers jobs. Workers who don't have papers are cheap.

If the USA really wanted the stop the illegal border crossings, we'd give as many green cards as we are willing to hire foreign workers. Then crack down severely on the citizens who flout the law by illegal hiring.

I am not expecting that any time soon. Because undocumented workers are so profitable. They keep labor costs down and consumption up. That's great for the investment class, terrible for blue collar Americans. But the investment class buys the politicians and media, so nothing important will be done.

Tom

Agreed !!!

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Bingo.

Tom

Perhaps we can agree on merit based immigration, meaning if migrants want to be here legally, they should have a high level of education, English proficiency as well as job skills desired by our free market.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Immigration-Reform-Trump.pdf

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Perhaps we can agree on merit based immigration, meaning if migrants want to be here legally, they should have a high level of education, English proficiency as well as job skills desired by our free market.
I would totally support that.

Decide, as a society, how many immigrants we are willing to give jobs to. Then issue that many green cards.
Vet the applicants. Prioritize them according to how likely they are to stay, bring their families, generally contribute to this Nation of Immigrants. Prioritize people who have learned English, demonstrated a familiarity with USA culture and civics, and have job skills.
Then crack down hard on the illegal employers.

The USA is unwilling to do that. Instead, we just take anybody willing to brave the hardships of getting here no matter who or what they are.
The reason I am appalled by Trump's Wall is that it doesn't address the issues. At most, it just forces people to take more arduous and dangerous routes. Like the Wall you helped fund. All it did was make poor people's lives more difficult and dangerous.
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Sigh... Perhaps the best drug solution is to not be part of the problem; don't do drugs... That way, perhaps those who do drugs and all the illegal things will eventually just die off. Decriminalize drugs, but help those who want it. We already know that laws and prisons don't do anything but create more criminal activity. I was briefly in Juvenile Detention when I was 14 and saw more than enough. What I am saying is harsh, but every other solution just has not worked.

Two milligrams of fentanyl is enough to kill an average sized person; in January, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents seized 254 lbs. of this highly lethal narcotic. If this amount of fentanyl would have gotten across the border, it would have been enough fentanyl to have been able to kill 54 million people.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Two milligrams of fentanyl is enough to kill an average sized person; in January, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents seized 254 lbs. of this highly lethal narcotic. If this amount of fentanyl would have gotten across the border, it would have been enough fentanyl to have been able to kill 54 million people.
245 lbs of most anything would only take a few drone trips over that Trump Wall that you helped pay for. From almost anywhere.

Part of the opioid problem is that drugs like fentanyl are easily smuggled, hugely profitable, and Trump's Wall isn't going to do a thing about it.
Tom

Ellen Brown

Despite having been born in America, having served in the Military, and voted lots of times, I am embarrassed by what I see in America now. Perhaps what the media portray is not reality and perhaps the "Salt of The Earth" American still exists? I came from "Po White Oklahoma Trash", possibly fringe Mormon? Being stubborn, persistent and a hard worker, and being blessed by a merciful God I got out of that and had a very successful, hard working life. Things fell apart when Psychologists got their hands on me, but God still showed his mercy to me.

Though much of my family were Alcoholics, I avoided all that because I learned early on that Native Americans are vulnerable to that. Not much into conspiracy theories, but perhaps all this drug traffic has a deeper, more sinister force behind it? I'm seeing conflicting information, one source says that China makes most Fentanyl, while another says that it is made in Mexico. Perhaps it is not international malice at all but mere greed?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I would totally support that.

Decide, as a society, how many immigrants we are willing to give jobs to. Then issue that many green cards.
Vet the applicants. Prioritize them according to how likely they are to stay, bring their families, generally contribute to this Nation of Immigrants. Prioritize people who have learned English, demonstrated a familiarity with USA culture and civics, and have job skills.
Then crack down hard on the illegal employers.

The USA is unwilling to do that. Instead, we just take anybody willing to brave the hardships of getting here no matter who or what they are.
The reason I am appalled by Trump's Wall is that it doesn't address the issues. At most, it just forces people to take more arduous and dangerous routes. Like the Wall you helped fund. All it did was make poor people's lives more difficult and dangerous.
Tom

According to Border Patrol agents, hundreds of illegal aliens and $100,000 worth of drugs have been smuggled through the gap between the 21 mile sections of border security barriers, which The We Build the Wall project has now filled and secured with our border fencing. Because of this, drug smugglers are now going to have to go dozens of miles out of their way in order to try getting their deadly narcotics into our nation.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
245 lbs of most anything would only take a few drone trips over that Trump Wall that you helped pay for. From almost anywhere.

Part of the opioid problem is that drugs like fentanyl are easily smuggled, hugely profitable, and Trump's Wall isn't going to do a thing about it.
Tom

Drones would be a more expensive and less inconspicuous way of delivering drugs than having them trekked by a wilderness hiker across the border.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
According to Border Patrol agents, hundreds of illegal aliens and $100,000 worth of drugs have been smuggled through the gap between the 21 mile sections of border security barriers, which The We Build the Wall project has now filled and secured with our border fencing. Because of this, drug smugglers are now going to have to go dozens of miles out of their way in order to try getting their deadly narcotics into our nation.
I could put $100,000 in fentanyl in a child's lunch pail and throw it over a 20' wall. That Trump Wall isn't going to stop opioids.

And those hundreds of illegal immigrants are still going to get the jobs that they are coming here to get. They just have to be determined and sturdy enough to take a more arduous route.

You could have done more to improve the human situation if you'd donated the money to some group trying to improve things, rather than further degrade the human situation.

That would not be either of the two political parties. I am quite sure that neither wants to inconvenience their big donors with sensible, humane, immigration reform. That would be bad for "business".
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Drones would be a more expensive and less inconspicuous way of delivering drugs than having them trekked by a wilderness hiker across the border.
You need to keep up with the technology.
Drones are quite efficient, and have a lot of lift, and aren't nearly as conspicuous as human drug mules these days.

It's a good bit like the difference between a manned space expedition and a remotely controlled expedition. The human is always the most expensive aspect. Eliminate that and things get done more reliably and less expensively.

A drone could easily be loaded with a few millions in fentanyl, fly a foot above The Wall, and land 20 miles in. It doesn't even need to get back, the smugglers just buy another.
Probably from USA suppliers.
Tom

ETA ~ The best way to get rid of drug smugglers is to kick the legs out from under the black market. Stop spending billions of taxpayers dollars propping up the black market.

Legalize, then use the funds freed up on treatment. ~

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You need to keep up with the technology.
Drones are quite efficient, and have a lot of lift, and aren't nearly as conspicuous as human drug mules these days.

It's a good bit like the difference between a manned space expedition and a remotely controlled expedition. The human is always the most expensive aspect. Eliminate that and things get done more reliably and less expensively.

A drone could easily be loaded with a few millions in fentanyl, fly a foot above The Wall, and land 20 miles in. It doesn't even need to get back, the smugglers just buy another.
Probably from USA suppliers.
Tom

ETA ~ The best way to get rid of drug smugglers is to kick the legs out from under the black market. Stop spending billions of taxpayers dollars propping up the black market.

Legalize, then use the funds freed up on treatment. ~

Border patrol agent lookout posts with night vision should be strategically placed along the border wall from where drones carry narcotics could be spotted and confiscated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection authorities.

Exposure to even a small amount of fentanyl is very dangerous, such toxicity should not be made available to the general public.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I could put $100,000 in fentanyl in a child's lunch pail and throw it over a 20' wall. That Trump Wall isn't going to stop opioids.

And those hundreds of illegal immigrants are still going to get the jobs that they are coming here to get. They just have to be determined and sturdy enough to take a more arduous route.

You could have done more to improve the human situation if you'd donated the money to some group trying to improve things, rather than further degrade the human situation.

That would not be either of the two political parties. I am quite sure that neither wants to inconvenience their big donors with sensible, humane, immigration reform. That would be bad for "business".
Tom

Slugging narcotics over our wall is very risky, cause you don't know who might be there on the other side.

Not only is narcotic trafficking along with some very bad hombres a problem at the border, there is a humanitarian crisis with more migrants than can be detained; border walls would help resolve this humanitarian crisis.