• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross or Upright Stake

cataway

No, you do not "know" that. If you have only the Bible that is merely a belief.
it bothers you that i know?? that many of us know ?? well thats to bad for you . this Jesus the christ that you despise .he has been given the power and authority to resurrect the ones he wants to . no ,it has not happened yet . there are a few things in prophecy that first must happen .
enjoy the life you now have ,its likely the only one you get

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
it bothers you that i know?? that many of us know ?? well thats to bad for you . this Jesus the christ that you despise .he has been given the power and authority to resurrect the ones he wants to . no ,it has not happened yet . there are a few things in prophecy that first must happen .
enjoy the life you now have ,its likely the only one you get
No, you keep demonstrating that you do not know. You only keep demonstrating that all that you have is mere belief. If xxx you "knew" you could properly support your claims.

cataway

Wow, no , you believe. I granted that. Belief is not knowledge. Mere believe is wrong an amazing percentage of the time. That is what you have. You do not have knowledge.
you are looking for the scientific method? and scientist cant believe in Jesus or anything that happened to Jesus ?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
you are looking for the scientific method? and scientist cant believe in Jesus or anything that happened to Jesus ?
No. Why assume that? Once again, knowledge is demonstrable. One can properly justify one's claims with knowledge. You have only demonstrated belief. You have failed at justifying your claims.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is no conclusive evidence for an historical Jesus, just the balance of probabilities. For a start, none of the NT authors ever met an historical Jesus, and the miracle claims and other supernatural elements are innately not credible. (Perhaps ironically, the evidence for the resurrection is of particularly abysmal standard just of itself.)

These days I'm inclined to think that the two strongest pieces of evidence for an historical Jesus are:

─ that none of the early opponents of Christianity ever claimed there was no such real person as Jesus (a point made by Bart Ehrman, among his various arguments for an historical Jesus), and

─ in all four gospels, Jesus fights with or is aggressive towards his mother and family, and here we might invoke the criterion of embarrassment, that is, it's not the sort of thing you'd invent if you were inventing a hero from scratch.

But I don't insist that's conclusive.

cataway

There is no conclusive evidence for an historical Jesus, just the balance of probabilities. For a start, none of the NT authors ever met an historical Jesus, and the miracle claims and other supernatural elements are innately not credible. (Perhaps ironically, the evidence for the resurrection is of particularly abysmal standard just of itself.)

These days I'm inclined to think that the two strongest pieces of evidence for an historical Jesus are:

─ that none of the early opponents of Christianity ever claimed there was no such real person as Jesus (a point made by Bart Ehrman, among his various arguments for an historical Jesus), and

─ in all four gospels, Jesus fights with or is aggressive towards his mother and family, and here we might invoke the criterion of embarrassment, that is, it's not the sort of thing you'd invent if you were inventing a hero from scratch.

But I don't insist that's conclusive.
you are of the antichrist

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
you are of the antichrist
That doesn't sound like a reasoned or informed reply to my post.

Nor is it helpful. For instance, you yourself are of the antiAllah, the antiKrishna, the antiGreat Spirit, and much more.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
yes i know he was taken down .that's not the question . i am wondering about the mechanics of it. my self i have built buildings using pole constriction .tipicly called pole barns, also used in building decks. i have stood poles and ,removed poles for what ever reason ,dodo happens.
did it with out machinery.
it was in the Law that the one hung-up was not to remain there all night . i know how to remove a pole from the hole its plated in .i should like to think they back then would also know . perhaps it was such common knowledge it seamed irrelevant . there are no empty standing execution poles left standing and by the way no crosses either. things do get lost to history ,i am wondering if the trick to pulling a pole from the ground was also lost.
I can only imagine that the Roman soldiers managed to take those nailed to the stake down. Obviously the Bible does not give details as to how exactly a convicted person was put up or taken off. The answer is in reference to your precise question: I don't know now. Maybe there is an explanation somewhere, but at any rate it doesn't seem like a nice job. I shudder to think about it. Exactly how --? I don't know now.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
yes i know he was taken down .that's not the question . i am wondering about the mechanics of it. my self i have built buildings using pole constriction .tipicly called pole barns, also used in building decks. i have stood poles and ,removed poles for what ever reason ,dodo happens.
did it with out machinery.
it was in the Law that the one hung-up was not to remain there all night . i know how to remove a pole from the hole its plated in .i should like to think they back then would also know . perhaps it was such common knowledge it seamed irrelevant . there are no empty standing execution poles left standing and by the way no crosses either. things do get lost to history ,i am wondering if the trick to pulling a pole from the ground was also lost.
Also the point is in the translation I believe. We know he dragged a stake. Taken over by Simeon. Who knows? Maybe they had holes in the ground ready. Because--as I think about it--either way--stake or crossbar--they had to put a convicted person up and take him down or off. Somehow.