• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crime

Is there a solution to crime, and will it end?

• I believe crime will end

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I don't believe crime will end

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • There is a solution to crime

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • There is no solution to crime

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The death penalty is our only hope.

Just make the punishment for any crime the death penalty. Run a red light - death. Jaywalking- death. Littering - death.

Either people will stop committing crimes or we will just run out of people. win-win. :D

I knew special interest has a role to play in it.

I suspect it's the mortician union.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I said that those atheists on the show, regularly gets told by believers that call in and talk to them, that these now atheists weren't ever true believers. How can that be false? You can listen to the show and it happens on a regular basis, so what does that have to do with the apostolic age?

You just quoted yourself saying it here.. "I showed you the evidence that proves that that children with a religious background are known to behave better."

And I showed you a study that say that they are less kind and altruistic, which is highly related to behaviour. So its not irrelevant, when that is your claim and im saying that you are cherry picking information to draw your conclusion.

What do you mean, where did I see that in the verse? Do you think this is talking about a Master accidentally dropping a stick or heavy stone on a servant?

If you strike another person and they die as a direct result of it, you are to be punished, but if they don't, nothing happens to them, because the one they hit is their property... how do you understand this in any other way, than it meaning one person having the right to hit someone else, because they own them?
And as long as they don't die within a few days, there is no punishment for doing so. It specifically say that "But if the servant survives" so we are not talking about a light slap on the wrist here, but severe beating if the question is about surviving.

So what do you think these verses means?

Exodus 21:20-21
20 - "If a man strikes his male or female servant with a stick and he or she dies as a direct result, the master must be punished.
21 - But if the servant survives a day or two, the master is not to be punished because the servant is his property.

Its not cherry picking, because its a counter argument to your statement. That this is the case in all countries to which I say it is not, and it depend on the laws of each country and not some general rule. I use Denmark as an example because that is where I come from and it is not the case here.

You said I was wrong about how we get our morals and it was just my opinion. Which might be the case, but I doubt it, and therefore I asked you, if you have ever experienced that your morals have suddenly changed from one moment to the next, just out of the blue without this being based on some former influence or experience.

No but you specifically said this:

"The laws of your own land disagrees with you."

So I were interested in hearing where you got those information from.

Are you reading what you write? because it will take a very long time, if I have to summarize former posts all the time. So this will be the last time I do that:

This was in relationship to the definition of certain words in the bible, you asked me:

"Why do you think God was wrong in this law, please?"

To which I answered:
Because it is based on opinion. A poor father and wife, might pass judgement on their child, without any good reason. There is no clear definition of what is meant by stubborn? rebellious? not obeying? What if the dad told the son to go beat his sister and he refuse? What if the dad is a drunkard with a temper? Even today child abuse and people hitting their partners is an issue. No one would regulate this based on these vague rules, as no one would be able to define what is meant by obeying, being stubborn etc. It is subjective.

I'm much more interested in hearing how you think that God was right about this?

To which you replied:
That's not a fact, sorry. That's your opinion.
If you disagree, then you are obligated to prove that what you claim, is a fact.

I then replied:
But then define it and put it to the test and see if everyone agree with it?

By which I mean, that you define the words stubborn, rebellious, obeying and see if people agree with these definitions covering what laws and punishments should be allowed and not allowed based on this. Because my guess is, that most people will agree that God is wrong about this law, because there is no way to define these words in a meaningful way so laws and rules can be based on them. As you implied in the first question "Why do you think God was wrong in this law, please?"

So how does it benefit a girl to be sold off as a property? and do you think we should reinstate such laws today, because they are beneficial for everyone involved?

You must be kidding right? When parents have the right to kill a stubborn child, that child is not being mistreated? Girls being sold to others as commodities how on Earth is that "willing slaves" from the perspective of the girl?

If a girl is raped and doesn't yell loud enough it's not really rape or they have to marry their rapist if they get pregnant, and yes that is in the bible as well.

Hmmm no :) If you read the bible, God kills Israelites left, right and center, because they constantly do something that he doesn't like.

What about me, not sure what you mean? Im an atheist and the reason for that is, because I don't think there are any evidence pointing towards there being a God, and therefore religious beliefs should have no impact on how we do things, whether that is laws, education etc.
Is there a solution to crime, and will it end?
You are not optimistic, about this.
I gave you the solution, which I believe is the only solution, and why there is reason to believe it, since there is evidence for this, which I also presented.
You don't accept that because it's superstition to you. Okay.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
View attachment 45681 Meet Bill - a hardworking family man, who goes to work everyday of each weekday, to provide for his family - a wife and two young children.

While working one evening, a desperate masked man, burst into the store where Bill was just preparing to leave for home.
View attachment 45682 The robber demanded Bill hand over all the cash. During the robbery, Bill is shot several times, and the robber makes his escape.

View attachment 45683 Bill is rushed to the hospital "fighting for his life".
The fight is short-lives, as Bill succumbs to his injuries. View attachment 45684
His life snatched away...
View attachment 45685 Bill leaves to mourn, a grieving widow, and two children.

FBI Releases 2019 Crime Statistics
Is there a solution to crime? What is the solution to crime?
Do you see a future where there is no crime, or do you see crime existing forever into the future?
ISQhw4t4IBVir8Kzcnf3L2KiExDZELTCIhgYAAXKAs1ZNHBukltX_fujceaMBV6R2dw_s7bYmsYk-7hw44Ux6Q7K2Xv924ZxvE2FqP4LNVj1IY6UW7LvzYaHxhJxOGwLB0PBZSGO1Yo2pFzm

Why, or why not?

Feel free to participate in the poll.
In your scenario:

- why is the masked man desperate?
- why was robbing someone at gunpoint the best option available to get money?
- how was the masked man able to get a gun?
- why was it so cheap that just selling the gun wouldn't get him as much cash as robbing a cash register?

I would bet good money that your answers to these questions would point toward solutions for this sort of crime.

nPeace

Veteran Member
In your scenario:

- why is the masked man desperate?
- why was robbing someone at gunpoint the best option available to get money?
- how was the masked man able to get a gun?
- why was it so cheap that just selling the gun wouldn't get him as much cash as robbing a cash register?

I would bet good money that your answers to these questions would point toward solutions for this sort of crime.
I'm not following you? Is there a point you are making?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not following you? Is there a point you are making?
Yes: that crime - especially of the sort that you describe in the OP - is a product of larger issues. Address those issues and you stop the crime.

In your scenario:

- if the man doesn't desperately need money, the murder doesn't happen.

- if the man has an easier or safer way to get money, the murder doesn't happen.

- if the man doesn't have access to a gun, the murder doesn't happen.

- if the man could sell his gun for more than he expects to get from the robbery, the murder doesn't happen.

Property crime - including violent property crime like in your scenario - happens when people respond to real desperate situations in inappropriate ways. If we help the person to not be desperate, then the crime never happens.

chinu

chinu
In the beginning there was only GOD.
The very first CRIME brought this Universe/World into existence.

Word = God
World = Crime

Bird123

View attachment 45681 Meet Bill - a hardworking family man, who goes to work everyday of each weekday, to provide for his family - a wife and two young children.

While working one evening, a desperate masked man, burst into the store where Bill was just preparing to leave for home.
View attachment 45682 The robber demanded Bill hand over all the cash. During the robbery, Bill is shot several times, and the robber makes his escape.

View attachment 45683 Bill is rushed to the hospital "fighting for his life".
The fight is short-lives, as Bill succumbs to his injuries. View attachment 45684
His life snatched away...
View attachment 45685 Bill leaves to mourn, a grieving widow, and two children.

FBI Releases 2019 Crime Statistics
Is there a solution to crime? What is the solution to crime?
Do you see a future where there is no crime, or do you see crime existing forever into the future?
ISQhw4t4IBVir8Kzcnf3L2KiExDZELTCIhgYAAXKAs1ZNHBukltX_fujceaMBV6R2dw_s7bYmsYk-7hw44Ux6Q7K2Xv924ZxvE2FqP4LNVj1IY6UW7LvzYaHxhJxOGwLB0PBZSGO1Yo2pFzm

Why, or why not?

Feel free to participate in the poll.

Crime will never go away until mankind understands the underlying causes of crime then works at overcoming those problems.

What is mankind doing now? Do they even attempt to understand the underlying causes of crime? I do not see it. They just lock them up and throw away the key.

If one does the same thing, how can one expect different results? Does the current system really work? I do not see it.

Crime will remain until the Real Problems are solved.

Make it about Discovering the answers rather than mere payback.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

nPeace

Veteran Member
Crime will never go away until mankind understands the underlying causes of crime then works at overcoming those problems.

What is mankind doing now? Do they even attempt to understand the underlying causes of crime? I do not see it. They just lock them up and throw away the key.

If one does the same thing, how can one expect different results? Does the current system really work? I do not see it.

Crime will remain until the Real Problems are solved.

Make it about Discovering the answers rather than mere payback.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!
Would you like me to design a logo with your trademark slogan ...That's what I see. It's very clear!!? :D

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes: that crime - especially of the sort that you describe in the OP - is a product of larger issues. Address those issues and you stop the crime.

In your scenario:

- if the man doesn't desperately need money, the murder doesn't happen.

- if the man has an easier or safer way to get money, the murder doesn't happen.

- if the man doesn't have access to a gun, the murder doesn't happen.

- if the man could sell his gun for more than he expects to get from the robbery, the murder doesn't happen.

Property crime - including violent property crime like in your scenario - happens when people respond to real desperate situations in inappropriate ways. If we help the person to not be desperate, then the crime never happens.
That's the same thing @Nimos was saying. However, the if's look more than iffy.
God's kingdom removes all of that and more, according to what's writen in the "manifesto", and what's currently being applied from that government's law books.
So in that case, it's the only solution.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's the same thing @Nimos was saying. However, the if's look more than iffy.
So you think that addressing the factors that cause desperation won't be effective at addressing crimes of desperation?

God's kingdom removes all of that and more, according to what's writen in the "manifesto", and what's currently being applied from that government's law books.
So in that case, it's the only solution.
Nonsense. Your inability to see solutions that don't involve your religion doesn't mean those solutions don't exist.