• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

creator god vs. gods in indigenous

how common is the idea in indigenous religious traditions (even dead ones) of a distant benevolent sky father/mother/original/creator deity that no one really speaks of much or deals with, and more malevolent creatures that are APPEASED b/c on earth peoplem simply have to deal with them?

is this a trend I am picking up?

TurkeyOnRye

Your name caught my eye.

how common is the idea in indigenous religious traditions (even dead ones) of a distant benevolent sky father/mother/original/creator deity that no one really speaks of much or deals with, and more malevolent creatures that are APPEASED b/c on earth peoplem simply have to deal with them?

What?

religious rites/dances/magic to appease malevolent bogeymen creatures,

a more benevolent deity not present in the world, creates the world or people or whatever, then basicly leaves. no rites, no theology no appeasement, few stories,
i.e. in christianity / buddhism, the benevolent deity is the focus of the religion, in a lot of indigenous traditions, the ultrapowerful benevolent deity isn't really spoken of.

trend?

Justin Thyme

Child of God
Questions are an acknowledgement of ignorance and an opportunity by those with knowledge to eliminate a little ignorance. If questions by the ignorant annoy you it is in your best interest to answer those questions as honestly and accurately as you can.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Questions are an acknowledgement of ignorance and an opportunity by those with knowledge to eliminate a little ignorance. If questions by the ignorant annoy you it is in your best interest to answer those questions as honestly and accurately as you can.
Yeah, that works so well. :D

But I agree.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Look, the truth is that the primary focus of indigenous religions isn't spoken of to outsiders. Religion, it's ceremonies and rites are primarilly private matters with a few public ones to bring the whole community together or deal with specific problems.

One doesn't interact with the "big cheese" on an everyday basis(indeed in some faiths the average person can't interact at all because of the risk), while everyone does have to deal with aspects of the everyday world... everyday.
Who do you worry about in public... the big distant benevolent deity... or the angry local spirit that wants to make you sick?

Frankly all religions focus on appeasing threats... Christians have a benevolent deity that will send torment in this world or the next if they don't worship properly (this makes the main deity not only friend but foe)... they have demonic possession and hosts of other issues that the poster suggests are unique to indigenous religions. It wasn't the religions with benevolent deities themselves that got rid of the obsession with bad spirits, it was science... religion was along for the ride or it was doomed to marginalization.

Is this honest and accurate enough? ;)

wa:do

Justin Thyme

Child of God
I'll trust it's honest enough. Your statements are close enough to my own understandings and beliefs that I'll vouch for the accuracy. :)

I know it can be tedious and tiresome and that there are trolls abundant but there are also a lot of people who have questions without the knowledge to ask them in an unoffensive way. Assuming every offensive question is a troll will lead to a non-existent forum. I've very much enjoyed your posts.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish

I suppose I'll give it a shot, even though the OP does make a lot of assumptions about indegionous religions. In my religion anyway, Kemetic/Egyptian, the gods are not malevolent beings we only worship to appease, as you put it. They don't need appeasement, they're not angry and wrathful. The gods are beings who are higher then human beings, and care about us and teach us things. They need not be creators, and as for this creator god you're speaking of, if he's anything like the Bible describes you can have him.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
My Gods do not need appeasement either, like Senedjem's. The Gods are viewed as Kin, so you respect the Gods like your Ancestors. None of them are wrathful towards humans, and there are blots and sumbels not to appease the Gods, but rather to show your respect for the Gods.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'll trust it's honest enough. Your statements are close enough to my own understandings and beliefs that I'll vouch for the accuracy. :)

I know it can be tedious and tiresome and that there are trolls abundant but there are also a lot of people who have questions without the knowledge to ask them in an unoffensive way. Assuming every offensive question is a troll will lead to a non-existent forum. I've very much enjoyed your posts.
I admit I have my on and off days, I can get a little nippy. :wolf:

wa:do

EyeofOdin

religious rites/dances/magic to appease malevolent bogeymen creatures,

a more benevolent deity not present in the world, creates the world or people or whatever, then basicly leaves. no rites, no theology no appeasement, few stories,
i.e. in christianity / buddhism, the benevolent deity is the focus of the religion, in a lot of indigenous traditions, the ultrapowerful benevolent deity isn't really spoken of.

trend?

You seem to be uneducated in indigenous practices and worldview, so I'm going to give you the wider perspective and my own.

Indigenous traditions are typically a combination of polytheism, ancestralism and/or animism. Hellenismos is the indigenous religious worldview of Greece. It has multiple gods and many spirits inhabit the land around the practitioners. Hero worship is also common, which probably comes from Proto-Hellenic ancestor worship. Yoruba Voodoo (in West Africa) acknowledges multiple spirit-gods and practices ancestral veneration.

I cannot speak for another's background as to personal relationships with entities, but I can speak from my background in Germanic Heathenry (also called Odinism, Asatru etc.) and from my unique interpretation. Odinism is the indigenous tradition of Germanic Europe, with many gods, many land spirits and an emphasis on honoring the ancestors.

IMO gods are neither "benevolent" nor "malevolent" or good nor evil. These are adjectives describing morality, which we invented and the gods predate, having already predated humanity.

I honor whomever in my rituals in obligation to my ancestors, and ultimately, the gods and earth are the primordial and divine ancestors. I honor my gods not to "appease" them so that they'll go away and leave me alone. I honor them because they are my family, ancestors and friends. I exchange gifts with them, building a relationship with them and possibly being so honored as to learn what ancient and powerful lessons they have to teach me.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
You seem to be uneducated in indigenous practices and worldview, so I'm going to give you the wider perspective and my own.

Indigenous traditions are typically a combination of polytheism, ancestralism and/or animism. Hellenismos is the indigenous religious worldview of Greece. It has multiple gods and many spirits inhabit the land around the practitioners. Hero worship is also common, which probably comes from Proto-Hellenic ancestor worship. Yoruba Voodoo (in West Africa) acknowledges multiple spirit-gods and practices ancestral veneration.

I cannot speak for another's background as to personal relationships with entities, but I can speak from my background in Germanic Heathenry (also called Odinism, Asatru etc.) and from my unique interpretation. Odinism is the indigenous tradition of Germanic Europe, with many gods, many land spirits and an emphasis on honoring the ancestors.

IMO gods are neither "benevolent" nor "malevolent" or good nor evil. These are adjectives describing morality, which we invented and the gods predate, having already predated humanity.

I honor whomever in my rituals in obligation to my ancestors, and ultimately, the gods and earth are the primordial and divine ancestors. I honor my gods not to "appease" them so that they'll go away and leave me alone. I honor them because they are my family, ancestors and friends. I exchange gifts with them, building a relationship with them and possibly being so honored as to learn what ancient and powerful lessons they have to teach me.

There is an old Viking saying;

Respect your kinsmen and make no quarrel with those of your house, Honour the Gods if you so desire, but as for faith it should be only in steel.

GoodbyeDave

The idea that the creator is not worshiped came about because anthropologists and missionaries only saw public rituals, rather than private prayer, and also because they didn't understand the concept of delegation. If I wanted to complain about my rubbish collection, would I write to the Prime Minister? No, I'd email the borough council. Last week, when I was a bit concerned about my health, I didn't ask the Supreme Being to intervene: I asked Asklepios.

Many people in the world do believe in evil spirits, but they are not gods: they are dealt with by medicine people just as evil humans are dealt with by the police, or else one appeals to the gods for aid. Hellenes were never much concerned with them — not like the authors of the New Testament.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
There is an old Viking saying;

Respect your kinsmen and make no quarrel with those of your house, Honour the Gods if you so desire, but as for faith it should be only in steel.

Heh. Now I know where the writers of the Conan movie got his father's opening speech.