• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crazy customer advice pretty please

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I've mentioned I work for a large company with a policy that states that we as employees are not allowed to accept tips in excess of $20.00. I have a high maintenence customer who is making repeated large purchases who is a local lawyer. He INSISTS on giving me $100.00 tips (2 times now). I will not get fired for taking them, (maybe disciplined, but not fired) but here is my concern specifically:
He seems very crooked. He has been around for a while. His "partner/friend" told me that they have plans to open up a strip club and actually asked me if I would work for them. The lawyer himself has not said anything about it, but I find it odd that he is insisting on showering me with money for simply doing my job.

Anyone planning to own strip clubs could very well be involved in the drug or sex slave industry...

I have told him repeatidly that we are not allowed to take tips, and I have told him "no" repeatidly. My co-workers take large tips frequently. We are all cool with it. It is not an enforced or serious policy. I am just nervous about this with THIS customer.

I cannot read him. I cannot tell if he has ulterior motives. This is because he is so daggum wierd. One minute he is cool, the next minute he is scholarly, the next minute he is cursing into his phone at the top of his lungs, "I am sick of that whacky ***** screwing with my MONEY!!" With various other curses. He made many analogies to the pubic hair of gnats, and he calls his secretary "Octopussy."

This last time that he tipped me for no apparent reason, he sent his "partner friend" in the store with a folded up envelope. He'd been telling me for about a week that he wanted me to go by his office so he could give me "a portrait of one of our countries founding fathers." Of course I didn't. So he sends it in an envelope wrapped up and his friend left it and dumb me didn't get the reference so I open it and there is a $100.00 bill with a portrait of Benjamin Franklin on it.

Is there ANY way you can think of that this guy can turn this around on me legally? I don't want to get trapped if I accept it. It has been bugging the mess out of me because I just don't know how to handle him. He makes me uncomfortable, and I don't know if I am overreacting... if it's just cause he's a lawyer... maybe cause he's a possibly crooked lawyer who wants to open up a strip club and he's obviously looking for girls... I dunno....

He's been around and in business for 30+ years and his reputation is 50/50. He hasn't been involved in an public scams. I checked. He does not specialize in a particular category of law. He is still stuck on doing everything and not going into specialized departments... a one man firm.

Thank you so so so so much. Any advice/relief/direction is greatly appreciated.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Can you talk with your boss about it? Document in your own words what's going on as it happens? At least if your boss knows, s/he can possibly help...

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I know what they would say.

The procedure is to credit the money to the customers account as if it were a payment.

Judging by my customers character and behavior, I am pretty sure that would not go over well.

He would either be deeply offended, or he would think I am a raging dumb--- and be even more persistant and secretive.

That is why I was thinking... hold onto it, unopened, and see what happens. I can present the evidence like I did not know what was in the envelope since it is still unopened, and then put it on his account. Done.

I am being a tad bit greedy I guess. Any other time I would be jumping for joy. I also waitressed for a long time, so tips are as good as paychecks to me...

I can't believe I am so nervous about accepting a TIP!

Ugghh:facepalm:

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I've decided.

This is probably the reason that the company has such a policy in place in the first place... to avoid us being being tipped into abuse by our customers. By him doing this, he could expect for me to be at his beckon call, or attempt to black mail/ guilt trip me.... say he will get me fired, etc...

I am going to pay his bill with it and inform my managers of my... "discomfort."

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've decided.

This is probably the reason that the company has such a policy in place in the first place... to avoid us being being tipped into abuse by our customers. By him doing this, he could expect for me to be at his beckon call, or attempt to black mail/ guilt trip me.... say he will get me fired, etc...

I am going to pay his bill with it and inform my managers of my... "discomfort."
Be proactive. Tell your manager what you plan to do before you do it. Let them give their godlike approval. ;)
It's a win-win because you make your manager feel important. Sucking up, never hurts. Hehe.

Smoke

Done here.
Be proactive. Tell your manager what you plan to do before you do it. Let them give their godlike approval. ;)
It's a win-win because you make your manager feel important. Sucking up, never hurts. Hehe.
And then you're covered. About half of the information I give my boss is for getting the job done; the other half is meant to cover my ***.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Sounds to me he is a collector of people.
He just likes people to owe him favors.
who nows if he will ever call them in?

The odd $100 is nothing to a lawyer. But it is strange he is so insistent.

Is your boss honest?
He might just pocket the cash.
and deny you ever said anything.
Then you would still have the problem.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Sounds to me he is a collector of people.
He just likes people to owe him favors.
who nows if he will ever call them in?

The odd $100 is nothing to a lawyer. But it is strange he is so insistent.

That sounds more realistic. Then, you have the fact that he has said more than once that if I ever leave at&t, he would hire me. He commends me on the work I do for him endlessly. He is either setting me up to owe him a favor, or he is trying to "win" me into working for him eventually.... probably dancing on a pole a few nights a week.

Like I said I don't have a problem with that... but if I ever do exotic dancing I am going to shop for the club I want to work at, and it is going to be a safe enviroment where my position of control is never compromised and I trust the management... at least a little.

And yeah, the insistent thing is what concerns me too. What else could he insist on later?

And like I said, the first tip was probably close to being normal... I spent all day working on his complex set up, and then a few more hours if you add in the extra follow up time.

But now he's giving me $100.00 bills for nothing. He's calling me throughout the week thanking me and offering to take me out to eat, take my dad out to eat too, give me portraits of artwork, buy me gift cards...

I mean... that's freakin wierd. And then he sneaks the $100.00 to me.

Is your boss honest?
He might just pocket the cash.
and deny you ever said anything.
Then you would still have the problem.

Yes he is very honest. He would never do anything like that to us. I love my manager. He is actually protective of us. All of us there have been there for 2-3 years with each other except one who has been there for 1 1/2. We are like a dysfunctional family. That is why I said I wouldn't get fired for taking it. If I got busted I would be disciplined in writing because they have to, but accepting a tip is not a serious violation by any means and my manager would not escalate it.

Last edited:

Apion

He is either setting me up to owe him a favor, or he is trying to "win" me into working for him eventually.... probably dancing on a pole a few nights a week.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the last idea. Working in retail gets you involved with plenty of odd people. If you're paranoid, just keep doing what you're doing -- store the tips somewhere in case the **** hits the fan and you can pull out the tips in the envelopes, show you were honest and never wanted to accept them, and get out of the mess. I don't really see any possible way he can do anything to you legally. He's offering the tips, you're refusing, but he keeps sneaking it in. You're just an innocent employee and anyone would do the same thing in your situation. WORST case is getting fired for violating the policy at your work, but I doubt it.

He probably just likes you and has plenty of cash to throw.

Last edited:
If accepting the tips will get you fired, then accepting the tips and keeping them in an envelope will get you fired.

Listen to what your good instincts are telling you, ignoring these instincts get people into trouble, if you are going to work as a dancer you need to rely on these.

He obviously wants something from you, it might be as innocuous as wanting you to think he is an important or nice guy or it may be that he wants leverage over you for something to come. He may simply think he is paying you to turn a blind eye to whatever it is he is doing.

Whatever the situation you are better off nipping it in the bud, I would email my boss to tell them that the customer has insisted on leaving a tip and ask your boss what to do about it. Keep a record of the email. I know the money is tempting, but how tempting will it be when the envelopes start piling up?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
That sounds more realistic. Then, you have the fact that he has said more than once that if I ever leave at&t, he would hire me. He commends me on the work I do for him endlessly. He is either setting me up to owe him a favor, or he is trying to "win" me into working for him eventually.... probably dancing on a pole a few nights a week.

Like I said I don't have a problem with that... but if I ever do exotic dancing I am going to shop for the club I want to work at, and it is going to be a safe enviroment where my position of control is never compromised and I trust the management... at least a little.

And yeah, the insistent thing is what concerns me too. What else could he insist on later?

And like I said, the first tip was probably close to being normal... I spent all day working on his complex set up, and then a few more hours if you add in the extra follow up time.

But now he's giving me $100.00 bills for nothing. He's calling me throughout the week thanking me and offering to take me out to eat, take my dad out to eat too, give me portraits of artwork, buy me gift cards...

I mean... that's freakin wierd. And then he sneaks the $100.00 to me.
Document it.
Every bit of it.

I mean include with the documentation the where, how, and most impoortantly WHEN he give you the money. why? because most places have video security that can collaborate your story.

Of course, is it possible that he is just infatuated with you and is merely looking for a night with you?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Cover your *** on this one.

Email your manager about the problem. This documents this in writing. Give your manager the money. Ask your manager what he wants you to say and do the next time this cretin approaches you with money. Then do exactly as he says, and report the incident in writing once again.

Your manager may need to approach this idiot and tell him to quit this behavior. If he doesn't, your manager can continue to credit his bill.

If he becomes obnoxious, rude, or threatening, your manager can bar him from visiting the establishment. Just because a place is open to the public doesn't mean that a place has to tolerate behavior that is threatening or against company policy.

Under no circumstances do I think you should keep the money - even if you don't open the envelope. This could create a much bigger problem for you. It makes absolutely no difference whether or not you open an envelope of money - it's still in your possession so you "kept" it.

Let your manager take the heat for this. That's what he gets paid to do.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Hi, S-T -

My only advice to you is to trust your instincts. This guy is setting off alarm bells within you for a reason.........don't ignore them.

Erebus

Of course, is it possible that he is just infatuated with you and is merely looking for a night with you?

To be honest this is what it struck me as. He could just be a little eccentric and very lonely and he's looking to buy your affections. If you definitely won't get fired for taking the tips I'd be tempted to simply accept them. If he then feels you owe him something... tough... you don't have to give him anything at all.

The other thing you could do is simply act bored whenever he offers you money and simply shake your head, don't rise to it and don't even speak to him. If he thinks you are maybe being coy or playing hard to get, this should give him the message that you really aren't interested. Body language can be a powerful tool and with a bit of practice you can make even the most frightening people feel an inch tall.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I agree. A few hundred bucks isn't worth losing my job over, even though that is unlikely, you never know. My company is unpredictable with what and when they will all of a sudden decide to put extra emphasis on enforcing.

I get paid on Wednesday. I am adding the other $100.00 back to it, talking to my boss, emailing my boss, paying it to his account, and noting his account about the payment being tips according to how my manager sees fit.

We have other customers who tip us more reasonably who are not sleazy. It is rare but I don't care. I'll get my little bonuses from them. lol.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Document it.
Every bit of it.

I mean include with the documentation the where, how, and most impoortantly WHEN he give you the money. why? because most places have video security that can collaborate your story.

This guy is like 60 or 70 years old!!! No no no no no no!!!! :no: I hate it hate it with a passion when perverted old guys become infatuated with me. If you are old enough to be my grandpa, that is a no no. Aaahhhhh.......... icky! Even worse!

To be honest this is what it struck me as. He could just be a little eccentric and very lonely and he's looking to buy your affections. If you definitely won't get fired for taking the tips I'd be tempted to simply accept them. If he then feels you owe him something... tough... you don't have to give him anything at all.

The other thing you could do is simply act bored whenever he offers you money and simply shake your head, don't rise to it and don't even speak to him. If he thinks you are maybe being coy or playing hard to get, this should give him the message that you really aren't interested. Body language can be a powerful tool and with a bit of practice you can make even the most frightening people feel an inch tall.

Aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!! :cover:

Anytime I have had the same instinct that you have with this guy and I have ignored it, I have regretted doing so. The problem is you will never know if you were right to give the money back, but if you keep it you may find out the hard way that you should have listened to what your gut is telling you. This guy is a bad apple.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
The other thing I meant to say is what you referred to ealier.

I have always prided myself on not being controlled by the temptation of money. If I cannot excersise control with that tempatation I could not allow myself to ever work in that industry.

I have always been able to do it before. So I am not going to get myself into a bind with this.

One other thing though that I worry about. I am sure this guy is going to see this as a deep insult. He is still my customer. When you work for a corporation you cannot "fire" clients. He will refuse to deal with anyone other than me at this point. None of my coworkers will deal with him. Even my manager hates dealing with him. When he walks in the store I get 3 calls, 3 text messages an email and people hollering my name even if they know I am with a customer. If they know he is coming they won't let me help anyone just to make sure I am free when he gets there. It's pretty bad... but if there is a situation such as that which needs to be dealt with, I am sure my manager will deal with it properly.

Thanks you guys for being so understanding. I don't know why this was freaking me out so much. I guess it's hard to describe this guy unless you've physically dealt with him. He's a doozy.

blackout

Violet.
YOu need to make it clear to the guy,
that it's company policy,
and you really had no choice but to pay it off to his account.

How can he be insulted
if it was a company decision, and not a personal one?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Tigress, yes your company CAN fire a customer. That is your manager's job, though, not yours. But you don't have to be victimized or harrassed by people just because they are a customer. There's more where he came from, and his actions are way out of line. WAYYYY out of line. Your manager should be firm with him about his behavior, and be consistent in his own behavior - using the tips to pay down his bill, for example. If his bill is paid in full, then your manager can give him a credit on the books - or even mail the money back to him.

If he's still offended, so be it. After all, we've already established that he's a freak. He may just have to be offended.

That will not be your fault. Your coworkers are already taking advantage of you, by the way. This needs to stop. It is totally unfair that you are carrying this entire burden - but you're only carrying it because you've picked it up.

If your manager doesn't have your back on this one, you may be working in the wrong place.