• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crap Your Religion's Followers Did In The Past

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Alright, this is a follow up from the Quranic sex slaves thread. Basically, arguments can often boil down to this:

"But followers of your religion did it too!!!"

Well, okay.

So, I now present to you, this big ol' 'Sunshine and rainbows Your Religion's Followers Did in Antiquity That Makes You Blush' thread.

I'll start. The Persians owned slaves. Does this have anything to do with the Gathas? Probably not.

Your turn!

Last edited:

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Indisputably, Pope Martin authorising a crusade against Africa in 1418 (ostensibly to "help Western Christendom against the Saracens (Muslims)" but really just an excuse to allow Europeans to build aggressive, territorially expansive empires abroad).

Last edited:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Alright, this is a follow up from the Quranic sex slaves thread. Basically, arguments can often boil down to this:

Well, okay.

So, I now present to you, this big ol' 'Sheet Your Religion's Followers Did in Antiquity That Makes You Blush' thread.

I'll start. The Persians owned slaves. Does this have anything to do with the Gathas? Probably not.

Your turn!

Hello Rival, good point !

I face this situation many times before ,someone from other religion blame my religion Islam on something ;but his religion had the same issue or MORE .

I just found it funny hypocrisy replies or threads.

Last edited:

Raahim

مكتوب
I wonder why is there a need to blame the religion for acts of individuals? It's like blaming whole UK because some Brit stabbed someone else in another country.

Raahim

مكتوب
I agree with you to an extent... but when the actions are based on the actual teachings of the religion then I think it's fair to blame the religion.

I've researched many religions and I did not come upon one that was spreading violence. Violent religion is absurd & it can't be called religion in my opinion. Maybe you could give me example of a religion that has clear teachings of being violent. :D

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I've researched many religions and I did not come upon one that was spreading violence. Violent religion is absurd & it can't be called religion in my opinion. Maybe you could give me example of a religion that has clear teachings of being violent. :D

I don't mind having that conversation but just not in this thread as it will lead the conversation off-topic.

Laika

Premium Member
Communism quiz: What do the following countries have in common?

Afghanistan, Cambodia, Czechoslovakia, Estonia, East Germany, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Tibet, Vietnam.

Answer: We invaded them...

...whilst they were our allies.

Invading Poland Three times was just for luck. (1920, 1939, 1944).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Well, okay.

So, I now present to you, this big ol' 'Sheet Your Religion's Followers Did in Antiquity That Makes You Blush' thread.

Your turn!
The closest I have to a religion is secular humanism. I've heard secular humanists makesome awful, cringe-worthy jokes. Some of them have an even worse fashion sense than I do.

Oh - and on a couple of occasions, I've seen a secular humanist who was really riled up hurt someone's feelings, realize what he did, and apologize.

That's all the dirty laundry I can think of.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well, okay.

Your turn!

There are Spiritualists in a lot of religions. I'd think what sticks out in Paganism is different cultures liked to burn, torture, hang, and crucify people inhumanly. Animal sacrifice isn't torture in many African religions; so, that's up for debate.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well, okay.

Your turn!

If I answered as a Catholic since one reason I left because I didn't want to be a part of it's past and present history: http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

GoodbyeDave

We Hellenes executed quite a few atheists and Christians in the past, but now we've reformed. Mind you, if I had a lion I can think of a few people I'd be sorely templed to include in his diet...

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Excellent idea for a thread. As a secular humanist, 9-10ths has already stolen my thunder, so all I can do is anxiously await brave, honest religious folks who will admit to historical problems that were driven by their religion...

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Oh, Gods... where to start...

Hm... let's see. In antiquity, there was the raping, pillaging, and plundering of innocent non-combatants purely for the sake of getting rich quick. There was also human sacrifice practiced; specifically, Woden was the God who received them (while it was mostly criminals and prisoners of war, since this was more of a ritualized execution than what we usually think of as human sacrifice, I've seen it suggested that they might have taken it far enough that if no criminals or POWs were present, they'd sacrifice their thralls instead.) Oh, and in the old days, homosexuality was kind of halfway okay: the "dominant" one was considered awesome, but the "submissive" one was considered "unmanly", which was the worst reputation someone could have.

In more recent years, there's the whole thing about many Heathens having various ranges of white-supremacist beliefs, even to the point of being actual neo-nazis.

Demonslayer

The criminal organization known as the Catholic Church spearheaded the worlds largest child molestation ring, and continues to this very day to hide, protect, and employ the worst offenders.