• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cowards and Heroes!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Cowards and Heroes!
Heroes...... I acknowledge all those who have shown heroism in any way, but the word itself niggles me because of all those heroes who were never recognised or whose actions were hidden. And so the word 'heroism' seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Cowards .... I accept that some people have shown cowardice in various situations, but the word niggles me because of all those who were branded unjustly, even being judged and executed. So the word 'Coward' seems to be a brand of hatred.

So......... I don't like those words above!

But words like those below ....... no problems!
Bravery? Great!
Fear? I understand that.
Valour? Excellent!
Gallantry? Yes!
Retreat? Sure!
But you can stick the words 'Coward' and 'Hero' in the bin imo.

Every single one of us here has been gallant, or brave, or in fear...... Is there a Coward or a Hero here, or are those words merely descriptors for actions ... and not people?

Any Opinions, Please?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Cowards and Heroes!
Heroes...... I acknowledge all those who have shown heroism in any way, but the word itself niggles me because of all those heroes who were never recognised or whose actions were hidden. And so the word 'heroism' seems to be a bit of a lottery.

Cowards .... I accept that some people have shown cowardice in various situations, but the word niggles me because of all those who were branded unjustly, even being judged and executed. So the word 'Coward' seems to be a brand of hatred.

Bravery? Great!
Fear? I understand that.
Valour? Excellent!
Gallantry? Yes!
Retreat? Sure!

Every single one of us here has been gallant, or brave, or in fear...... Is there a Coward or a Hero here, or are those words merely descriptors for actions ... and not people?

Any Opinions, Please?
I would say a bit of everything and anything.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well I can claim to be both during one incident, and where I should have just sought out authority from elsewhere (the attendant who was probably around but I failed to see him). I related this before, when as a young boy I witnessed a younger girl being abused in a swimming pool by an older boy (older and bigger than me), and rather than confronting him (fearing a beating), I swam underwater a long way (from one end of the pool to where they were at the other end), and then bit his leg before swimming back - all the while underwater, and he apparently failed to spot me. Hero in one sense but coward in another. :oops:

Jedster

Well I can claim to be both during one incident, and where I should have just sought out authority from elsewhere (the attendant who was probably around but I failed to see him). I related this before, when as a young boy I witnessed a younger girl being abused in a swimming pool by an older boy (older and bigger than me), and rather than confronting him (fearing a beating), I swam underwater a long way (from one end of the pool to where they were at the other end), and then bit his leg before swimming back - all the while underwater, and he apparently failed to spot me. Hero in one sense but coward in another. :oops:

You were in no way a coward.
Because of your smaller size, you moved tactically & sensibly.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Cowards and Heroes!

Bravery? Great!
Fear? I understand that.
Valour? Excellent!
Gallantry? Yes!
Retreat? Sure!

Any Opinions, Please?
the words "coward" and "hero" are just as 'meaningful' as the words "good" and "evil"

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Over the course of a lifetime, I'm sure everyone has moment's of heroism and moments of cowardice. To me what's important is how one acts predominantly.

Relatedly, luck plays into the equation. If you've been a car driver all your life, you most probably haven't killed anyone with your car. But sadly, many times a year, good drivers, who were paying attention, hit a pedestrian. True cases of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. That one moment of bad luck ruins the innocent driver's life. Same with cops. Many a fine cop have had decades of selfless service, and have their careers and lives ruined by one unfortunate moment.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Over the course of a lifetime, I'm sure everyone has moment's of heroism and moments of cowardice. To me what's important is how one acts predominantly.

Relatedly, luck plays into the equation. If you've been a car driver all your life, you most probably haven't killed anyone with your car. But sadly, many times a year, good drivers, who were paying attention, hit a pedestrian. True cases of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. That one moment of bad luck ruins the innocent driver's life.
I don't suppose many attending drivers have hit folks, but I do get you point about good and bad luck playing major roles in our lives.

Same with cops. Many a fine cop have had decades of selfless service, and have their careers and lives ruined by one unfortunate moment.
Can you think of an example of such an unfortunate incident?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Can you think of an example of such an unfortunate incident?

Off the top of my head.. a perp is resisting arrest, and in the ensuing struggle the cop dislocates the perp's shoulder, and then the perp sues?

McBell

Off the top of my head.. a perp is resisting arrest, and in the ensuing struggle the cop dislocates the perp's shoulder, and then the perp sues?
A more dramatic example would be when the perp gets hit with pepper spray and since it did not help the perp then gets hit with a tazer that ignites the pepper spray....

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That won't end a cop's career.
I expect that anybody can sue any one in some countries, but where I live an arrested person won't be given legal aid to sue in such circumstances.
Being sued is not dreadful. A Court would have to uphold a complaint for this to be not-good.

McBell

Can that happen?
I didn't know that.
back in 2007 I think

Edited:
My mistake.
It was 2005:

ARacine man whose face and neck caught fire after Kenosha police used pepper spray and a Taser on him has filed a notice of claim with the city of Kenosha, saying his civil rights were violated. He is planning to sue for $50,000.
Source

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
back in 2007 I think

Edited:
My mistake.
It was 2005:

ARacine man whose face and neck caught fire after Kenosha police used pepper spray and a Taser on him has filed a notice of claim with the city of Kenosha, saying his civil rights were violated. He is planning to sue for $50,000.
Source
Interesting.
Your Source is unavailable to all EU countries so couldn't read all about it.

That bloke must have been misbehaving fairly badly to get sprayed and tazered, I expect. I might be able to read about it by searching through google.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
@Father Heathen .........
I did start such a thread after all....... but it dwindled.

Please, could you describe what you think is cowardice?
Maybe in connection with your point about obeying a silly rule, or whatever else you can think of ?

I think that the word coward has drawn the US in to a bad place recently. I need to go and fetch some UK videos for you to see and comment on, but that will take some time.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Isn't cowardice just a term made up to denigrate those balk at taking stupid risks?

Hi...... :)
If such folks are liked, then their actions were wise.
If such folks are hated then they are cowards, running dogs with yella belles...... :D