• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COVID Vaccine

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm prepared to have this kicked out of the ballpark but I'm curious, do you think the vaccine would work?

It got me thinking of other coronaviruses and other lung conditions that we know how to treat but (generalizing) haven't find a sufficient cure of. I'm not a doctor so I can't name the ones that can be treated-but because there are so many conditions, it wouldn't make sense for me to say there are none.

It seems weird that they would find a vaccine this quick. So, I wonder if the vaccine would work insofar that it may relieve symptoms (like many other treatments that treat symptoms) but not cure or prevent them from returning. How much faith do we put in having vaccines?

I haven't taken any vaccines and never got sick in years. So, I have no reason to; but, many do. I've thought about this-and-if you want to know why I ask, I'm just curious.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm prepared to have this kicked out of the ballpark but I'm curious, do you think the vaccine would work?

It got me thinking of other coronaviruses and other lung conditions that we know how to treat but (generalizing) haven't find a sufficient cure of. I'm not a doctor so I can't name the ones that can be treated-but because there are so many conditions, it wouldn't make sense for me to say there are none.

It seems weird that they would find a vaccine this quick. So, I wonder if the vaccine would work insofar that it may relieve symptoms (like many other treatments that treat symptoms) but not cure or prevent them from returning. How much faith do we put in having vaccines?

I haven't taken any vaccines and never got sick in years. So, I have no reason to; but, many do. I've thought about this-and-if you want to know why I ask, I'm just curious.
If you think of the vaccine as a by-product/spin-off of the flu vaccine that explains the speed at which it was developed; the approvals were rigorous but fast tracked through.

I've been having the flu jab for the last few years, so do the majority of people over 60 in the UK. But people still die of the flu.

So, I anticipate the COVID vaccine to be effective but there will still be casualties.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Other viruses, even coronavirus, aren't as stable and didn't provoke enough emergency response to warrant global research and development into a vaccine.
This is not a typical vaccine either as it uses no viral particles (so is safer) and we have better technology for safely transporting them at below freezing temperatures than in the past.

Also you've probably had several vaccines, like polio, measles, smallpox, DTP (depending on age) etc. Since most of these are done as babies.
But 'I never get vaccinated and never get sick' is only significant as the 'yet.' Like, I smoke two packs a day but I've never got lung cancer.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member

I expect it to work just as well as the flu vaccine, which is not a lot.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you think of the vaccine as a by-product/spin-off of the flu vaccine that explains the speed at which it was developed; the approvals were rigorous but fast tracked through.

I've been having the flu jab for the last few years, so do the majority of people over 60 in the UK. But people still die of the flu.

So, I anticipate the COVID vaccine to be effective but there will still be casualties.

Yeah. I know when my aunt was dying, they said she can try a test drug to see if it helps. She had to go to the hospital and was a "gunny pig" for lack of better words at the moment. So, I'd assume they need test subjects first and all before they approve anything. I'm in the states.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Yeah. I know when my aunt was dying, they said she can try a test drug to see if it helps. She had to go to the hospital and was a "gunny pig" for lack of better words at the moment. So, I'd assume they need test subjects first and all before they approve anything. I'm in the states.
In the UK they have been testing volunteers since early Summer; approval given about a week ago. Other vaccines are still going through the approval process.
I believe your first approval was today/yesterday.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Other viruses, even coronavirus, aren't as stable and didn't provoke enough emergency response to warrant global research and development into a vaccine.
This is not a typical vaccine either as it uses no viral particles (so is safer) and we have better technology for safely transporting them at below freezing temperatures than in the past.

Also you've probably had several vaccines, like polio, measles, smallpox, DTP (depending on age) etc. Since most of these are done as babies.
But 'I never get vaccinated and never get sick' is only significant as the 'yet.' Like, I smoke two packs a day but I've never got lung cancer.

I did get shots when I went into preschool, I think it was. My family never believed in vaccination shots. So, nothing voluntary so far I'm alive. I read at the pharmacy that once you reach, I think, 65 it's highly recommended to take a flue shot. I know no other vaccine that isn't taken voluntarily unless it depends on career and situation.

"This is not a typical vaccine either as it uses no viral particles (so is safer) and we have better technology for safely transporting them at below freezing temperatures than in the past."

So the flue shot has viral particles and the COVID vaccine does not making the latter safer?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In the UK they have been testing volunteers since early Summer; approval given about a week ago. Other vaccines are still going through the approval process.
I believe your first approval was today/yesterday.

It sounds like they are pushing these approval process fast. That, or maybe they already had a head start (guessing) but now finally making it happen.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It sounds like they are pushing these approval process fast. That, or maybe they already had a head start (guessing) but now finally making it happen.
I think the process was sped up because of necessity.. So, instead of going into a lab and 'waiting its turn' it would jump to top of the pile and leapfrog other drugs seeking approval.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So the flue shot has viral particles and the COVID vaccine does not making the latter safer?
Yes. The covid vaccine uses mrna that teaches cells how to make the covid spike protein, which then the cells make antibodies for. So there's no chance for getting subacute viral infection. Viruses also often are contained by lipids from egg products which more people are allergic to. This has a lipid that very few people have allergies to.
The ingredient list is actually very short. The mrna, the lipid bilayer that let's it interact with the cell, a couple salts and sugars to maintain the ph balance. That's it. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes. The covid vaccine uses mrna that teaches cells how to make the covid spike protein, which then the cells make antibodies for. So there's no chance for getting subacute viral infection. Viruses also often are contained by lipids from egg products which more people are allergic to. This has a lipid that very few people have allergies to.
The ingredient list is actually very short. The mrna, the lipid bilayer that let's it interact with the cell, a couple salts and sugars to maintain the ph balance. That's it. :)

Sounds like a little recipe there

exchemist

Veteran Member

We know the vaccines are effective in 70-90% of people. So that is not in any doubt. None whatsoever.

I suppose, therefore when you say "work" you mean will the vaccines be effective in practice, in suppressing the virus in the population as a whole. That will depend on the the rate of take-up and possibly on whether the virus is able to mutate to a form that reduces the efficacy of the vaccines. One reason for having several vaccines that work in different ways is to give you some cover for the latter possibility.

As to the former, that depends on how effectively the vaccines are rolled out, both in terms of physical distribution and in terms of the public awareness campaign and other measures that will be needed to get a good rate of take-up. (One issue that is often underestimated is the difficulty people can have finding time to visit a clinic, especially with demands of some jobs, childcare etc.)

exchemist

Veteran Member
In the UK, I understand they broke with normal practice by keeping the regulatory authority updated in real time on the data as it came in. That meant the authority did not have to wait and review it all at the end, but could be au fait with it all and thus able to sign off very fast as soon as the data set was complete.

Generally they would not be willing to do that because it would bog them down in half-finished data sets. They would say, "Take your place in the queue and we'll evaluate your vaccine when we can get round to it". For this one, they made a unique exception.

So that is why it got approved so fast. It does not imply any shortcuts were taken or any data is lacking.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They've been testing them for awhile now. They have some pretty good results.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We know the vaccines are effective in 70-90% of people. So that is not in any doubt. None whatsoever.

I suppose, therefore when you say "work" you mean will the vaccines be effective in practice, in suppressing the virus in the population as a whole. That will depend on the the rate of take-up and possibly on whether the virus is able to mutate to a form that reduces the efficacy of the vaccines. One reason for having several vaccines that work in different ways is to give you some cover for the latter possibility.

As to the former, that depends on how effectively the vaccines are rolled out, both in terms of physical distribution and in terms of the public awareness campaign and other measures that will be needed to get a good rate of take-up. (One issue that is often underestimated is the difficulty people can have finding time to visit a clinic, especially with demands of some jobs, childcare etc.)

I'm sure at the moment, I would think they'd do so for example in free clinics. I know medical insurances are starting to pay for COVID treatment.