• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COVID Vaccine

Suave

Simulated character
My 82-year-old dad has just recovered from Covid19. Should he still get vaccinated?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The research that led to a fast development has been going on for years; back to 1990 in fact RNA vaccine - Wikipedia

What's different here is combining phase II and III trials and not waiting for long-term evidence that the vaccine works but rather using short term evidence.

What also helped was ready made buyers for the vaccine which overrode the corporate bean counters in the companies which have been developing it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My 82-year-old dad has just recovered from Covid19. Should he still get vaccinated?

That's not a question for us but for experts.

But I do know that some people have been getting COVID-19 a second time so I would be asking that very question if I had caught it and recovered.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
With some of our family and friends we have had deaths and latent effects from covid, and this area of Detroit got hit very hard back in March and April, so we know how devastating this is. Therefore, with this being the case, along my orientation to science, I'll get the vaccine.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Is the Allergy warning for the COVID-19 vaccines any different from the flu vaccines? - No

Are the possible reactions and complications from the COVID-19 vaccine any different from the flu vaccines? - No.

There have been warnings for those susceptible to certain allergies and health conditions not take the COVID-19 vaccines as with the same warnings for flu vaccines.

Can you get COVID-19 from getting vaccinated? No

Source: COVID-19 and Your Health

FACT: COVID-19 vaccines will not give you COVID-19

None of the COVID-19 vaccines currently in development in the United States use the live virus that causes COVID-19. There are several different types of vaccines in development. However, the goal for each of them is to teach our immune systems how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. Sometimes this process can cause symptoms, such as fever. These symptoms are normal and are a sign that the body is building immunity. Learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work.

It typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity after vaccination. That means it’s possible a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and get sick. This is because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection.
FACT: COVID-19 vaccines will not cause you to test positive on COVID-19 viral tests

Vaccines currently in clinical trials in the United States won’t cause you to test positive on viral tests, which are used to see if you have a current infection.

If your body develops an immune response, which is the goal of vaccination, there is a possibility you may test positive on some antibody tests. Antibody tests indicate you had a previous infection and that you may have some level of protection against the virus. Experts are currently looking at how COVID-19 vaccination may affect antibody testing results.

© Copyright Original Source

Altfish

Veteran Member
My wife and I had our first jab this morning, Astra Zenica version apparently.

The NHS is great - it was free and well organised - lots of people but little queuing, in fact we were outside and on our way home before the time of my wife's appointment.

exchemist

Veteran Member
My wife and I had our first jab this morning, Astra Zenica version apparently.

The NHS is great - it was free and well organised - lots of people but little queuing, in fact we were outside and on our way home before the time of my wife's appointment.
That was exactly my experience too. I had the same vaccine and found I reacted quite strongly over the following 24hrs - felt really quite achy and shivery. But then I had the virus back in last March, so it may be that it stimulated a stronger immediate response in me than in people who have not had it. Anyway I took it as a positive sign.

By the way, my 93yr old dad has just tested +ve for the virus in his nursing home, along with 3 others (they test them every week). None of them has any symptoms - so far at least. So we're about to find out how good one shot of the BioNTech vaccine, given a month ago, is. Crash helmets on......

Altfish

Veteran Member
That was exactly my experience too. I had the same vaccine and found I reacted quite strongly over the following 24hrs - felt really quite achy and shivery. But then I had the virus back in last March, so it may be that it stimulated a stronger immediate response in me than in people who have not had it. Anyway I took it as a positive sign.

By the way, my 93yr old dad has just tested +ve for the virus in his nursing home, along with 3 others (they test them every week). None of them has any symptoms - so far at least. So we're about to find out how good one shot of the BioNTech vaccine, given a month ago, is. Crash helmets on......
Best wishes for your Dad.

Speaking to friends who've had the jab; there have been a few minor reactions such as minor flu like symptoms or sore arm but all back to normal the next day.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It sounds like they are pushing these approval process fast. That, or maybe they already had a head start (guessing) but now finally making it happen.
The approval process itself is the same as normal. It's just that normally, medication developers are slower - they might not start phase 2 trials immediately after phase 1 trials, for instance.

The biggest thing speeding up the vaccine rollout is investment. Under normal circumstances, no pharmaceutical company would build the factory to make their vaccines on a large scale before it's approved and ready for market.

What happened last year was that a number of governments basically threw money at the top 7 most promising vaccines and said, effectively, "we're paying for millions of doses of vaccines up front, as long as you ramp up production to do it. If your vaccine ends up not being approved, just dump it - we won't ask for the money back."

This allowed the companies producing the vaccines to ramp up production way earlier than normal, because the government intervention reduced their financial risk.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Speaking to friends who've had the jab; there have been a few minor reactions such as minor flu like symptoms or sore arm but all back to normal the next day.
Yes the sore arm can persist for several days in fact, but I was back to 95% within 24hrs and 100% within 48.

exchemist

Veteran Member

The news on my dad is he is much better now and due to be moved back to his own room from the Covid isolation section of the nursing home today. He did get quite breathless when trying to speak on the phone, and he was rather off his food, but he never got a temperature or other symptoms. He's on antibiotics as a precaution, since the doc says he has a patch of infection at the base of one lung, but he seems to be essentially over the virus.

It seems likely that, if he had not had the vaccine, it would have finished him off - that's what happened to most of the people his age who got it last March.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The news on my dad is he is much better now and due to be moved back to his own room from the Covid isolation section of the nursing home today. He did get quite breathless when trying to speak on the phone, and he was rather off his food, but he never got a temperature or other symptoms. He's on antibiotics as a precaution, since the doc says he has a patch of infection at the base of one lung, but he seems to be essentially over the virus.

It seems likely that, if he had not had the vaccine, it would have finished him off - that's what happened to most of the people his age who got it last March.
Great news