• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Covid, Politics, and Health - What is your viewpoint?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So you're against seat belts, helmets for motorcyclists and bicyclists, vaccinations in general, and so forth claiming that they give up ESSENTIAL Liberty I take it.

And it's perfectly OK with you to endanger other people by your actions. So, by extension, laws against drunk driving are infringing on essential liberty as well.

After all, wearing and mask and keeping 6' from people is so intrusive on your sacred rights.

I'm not sure it is the same thing. Let me try to explain...

You can wear seat belts and go to a store.
You can go to a restaurant and have a drink or wine.
But with Covid... you can't open your store, you couldn't go to a restaurant, you weren't allowed to go to work. You lost your business, your home and your future.

Seat belts don't do that.

I think there is a substantial difference.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And vice versa.

Your rights starts when your neighbor intrusively and forcibly pokes in their nose.

Think....

Ever got anywhere with those bass boom cars shaking off your house windows and blowing out our ear drums?
How about we keep this on topic?
Or do you not want to think about all the ways not following covid regulations has a detrimental impact on other people? Or is not comfortable to have a global scene point out how utterly terribly America's covid response has been?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How about we keep this on topic?
Or do you not want to think about all the ways not following covid regulations has a detrimental impact on other people? Or is not comfortable to have a global scene point out how utterly terribly America's covid response has been?
The forum made its own new rules on Covid discussion and debate, so I'm not going to relate further into the specifics on what, and what not is effective on the the control or spread of Covid.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The forum made its own new rules on Covid discussion and debate, so I'm not going to relate further into the specifics on what, and what not is effective on the the control or spread of Covid.
So, in other words, science and facts don't support your beliefs. Several countries blow your "human nature" position out of the water, your position can't go forth without violating the rights of others and causing direct harm to them, and it would only serve to make America worse than it already is. How is that so hard to see? Countries that did what they should, they did not struggle and suffer like us. Countries that said oh well, like Brazil or Italy, they suffered along with American.

Twilight Hue

So, in other words, science and facts don't support your beliefs. Several countries blow your "human nature" position out of the water, your position can't go forth without violating the rights of others and causing direct harm to them, and it would only serve to make America worse than it already is. How is that so hard to see? Countries that did what they should, they did not struggle and suffer like us. Countries that said oh well, like Brazil or Italy, they suffered along with American.
I'm only convinced something works when the problem is actually solved.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
not sure how you come to those conclusions with no supportive documentation.

death per capita - in order
New York - .0024
Texas - .0015
Florida - .0014
California - .0012

Interesting... You would think there would be a different order.
New York got hit hardest early in the pandemic. A lot of the hard lessons on how to maximize the survival likelihood of COVID-19 patients were learned in New York. That's why the death rate there was so high.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm only convinced something works when the problem is actually solved.
Then take a look around. China, New Zealand, Thailand, Australia, the list goes on with nations that have a public who complied with covid restrictions and guidelines and have had far fewer deaths and chronic illnesses and their systems haven't been strained. Not here, where many have ignored warnings and went on to flood our hospitals.
America has been so anti-science about this that people here, as they lie in a hospital bed dying of covid, will deny it. They have believed they have emphysema or cancer before covid. People go on about "my rights and liberties," but this means other people aren't getting the treatment they need. It means the police actually had a very deadly year in 2020 because of covid. Over a half a million needless deaths later, there is no arguing selfishness has prevailed over any sense of care for community or duty for country in America. Sure, some are careful, some are caring, but they seem to be the few. The many go to choir practice and gym courses and church and get sick. They all go party, and nurses, physician's assistants, doctors, and many more in the medical field pay the price. They keep gathering, and California has to suspend pollution laws so crematories can keep up with business demands.

Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue

Then take a look around. China, New Zealand, Thailand, Australia, the list goes on with nations that have a public who complied with covid restrictions and guidelines and have had far fewer deaths and chronic illnesses and their systems haven't been strained. Not here, where many have ignored warnings and went on to flood our hospitals.
America has been so anti-science about this that people here, as they lie in a hospital bed dying of covid, will deny it. They have believed they have emphysema or cancer before covid. People go on about "my rights and liberties," but this means other people aren't getting the treatment they need. It means the police actually had a very deadly year in 2020 because of covid. Over a half a million needless deaths later, there is no arguing selfishness has prevailed over any sense of care for community or duty for country in America. Sure, some are careful, some are caring, but they seem to be the few. The many go to choir practice and gym courses and church and get sick. They all go party, and nurses, physician's assistants, doctors, and many more in the medical field pay the price. They keep gathering, and California has to suspend pollution laws so crematories can keep up with business demands.
None have solved anything, much less trusting Communist China to tell the truth.

I said bottom line.

That means when all restrictions have been lifted and masks eliminated.

Let me know when that happens first.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Australia is already almost back to normal, no mask mandate etc, restaurants open etc

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So much ****ing ignorance and anti-community, anti-science BS in this thread.

**** people's freedoms. And I say that having defended our Constitution for 10 ****ing years.

Freedoms come with responsibility to Act, and no one is Acting responsibly in a manner that is conducive to stopping a pandemic.

Americans are selfish and ignorant period.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But with Covid... you can't open your store, you couldn't go to a restaurant, you weren't allowed to go to work. You lost your business, your home and your future.

Outside of the initial lockdown, most stores remained open and especially for delivery. Restaurants were open for take out, delivery and sometimes for outdoor dining. Many many people worked from home. Business losses have not be universal. The future is hardly lost.

But with 500,000 dead, uncounted number temporarily or permanently disabled by COVID, hospitals overwhelmed or close to overwhelmed, temporary disruptions were necessary as is government action to extend unemployment, offer support for businesses and so forth.

The COVID induced recession will end with hundreds of thousands of lives saved by the measures taken. The cost to me is absolutely worth the lives saved.