• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COVID killed twice as many republicans as it did democrats.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I did not say this

Experts said so

My common sense says so too
I find it hard to choose an approach when responding to anti-vaxers and COVID denialists.

On the one hand, they're the perpetrators: people who inflicted huge amounts of death and suffering on humanity.

On the other hand, they also come across as victims: talking to them make it clear that - generally, at least - they just aren't approaching the issue rationally, as if they simply aren't mentally equipped to deal with the concepts involved.

For some of them, it seems like their science denialism and conspiracy theory thinking is rooted in real harm and injustice they've experienced at the hands of the establishment. They may have gone right off the deep end to irrational conclusions, but that initial push was often something that wasn't their fault at all.

So how should we respond? What they're doing kills people, so it certainly isn't good enough, but is there any point in asking them to do better when it seems like they're incapable of it?

Where should we switch from pity to blame, or vice versa?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have taken an objective look at the evidence. And it's obvious that getting vaccinated is more risky for many than the alternative.
How is that "obvious" after we've already established that those who avoided preventative measures died at a much higher rate and that only three deaths were linked to the vaccines (specifically the J&J one)?

Your viewpoint has been exposed as dangerous, irresponsible trash.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't struggle wit it at all
And that's the problem, really: you don't struggle with it. You're fine with spreading lies that will kill people - and have already killed lots and lots of people.

Whether you're doing this because you lack proper understanding of what you're doing, or because you know full well what you're doing but don't care about the people you could kill... that's something for you to decide.

This is why, lately, I often end up asking the anti-vaxxer I'm talking to if I should respond as if they're being sincere. Either way, they may get offended by what I say next, but I don't want to insult the intelligence of the person who knows that they're spreading a lie or accuse someone of lying if they really did get duped.

Shaul

Premium Member
OP is misinterpreting the study result. Excessive deaths do not equate with COVID-19 deaths. During the pandemic period there were multiple causes for excess deaths besides COVID-19.

Shaul

Premium Member
So they guy who squealed "Occam's razor" is now performing convoluted gymnastics to salvage his ideology from the latrine?
Stating facts is not "convoluted gymnastics". My post isn't in defense of any ideology. But it appears yours was.

Shaul

Premium Member
I find it hard to choose an approach when responding to anti-vaxers and COVID denialists.

On the one hand, they're the perpetrators: people who inflicted huge amounts of death and suffering on humanity.

On the other hand, they also come across as victims: talking to them make it clear that - generally, at least - they just aren't approaching the issue rationally, as if they simply aren't mentally equipped to deal with the concepts involved.

For some of them, it seems like their science denialism and conspiracy theory thinking is rooted in real harm and injustice they've experienced at the hands of the establishment. They may have gone right off the deep end to irrational conclusions, but that initial push was often something that wasn't their fault at all.

So how should we respond? What they're doing kills people, so it certainly isn't good enough, but is there any point in asking them to do better when it seems like they're incapable of it?

Where should we switch from pity to blame, or vice versa?
Did you know that most COVID-19 deaths are now among those that have been vaccinated?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ted-people-now-make-up-majority-covid-deaths/

Of course, as the article states, being vaccinated has benefits and is generally recommended. But terms like "anti-vaxers" and "COVID denialists"[sic] don't help.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sure: some excess deaths during the pandemic aren't because the person who died was infected with COVID themselves, but because the person couldn't get a normal level of care when the healthcare system was overwhelmed by other patients with infections (and by a loss of capacity due to staff being off sick with COVID).

However, these sorts of indirect deaths should have gone down evenly across the board as vaccinations started and healthcare system capacity improved. But this study found that this wasn't the case: as vaccination levels overall increased, the discrepancy between Republican deaths and Democrat deaths grew wider, even when controlling for other variables (e.g. age).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Of course, as the article states, being vaccinated has benefits and is generally recommended. But terms like "anti-vaxers" and "COVID denialists"[sic] don't help.
What "helps" depends entirely on what one's ends are.

Calling out murderous fools and liars for what they are certainly won't help to ingratiate myself to these people, but I'm fine with not being friends with those who, through their actions, have demonstrated an extreme lack of disregard for my loved ones and me.

Shaul

Premium Member
What "helps" depends entirely on what one's ends are.

Calling out murderous fools and liars for what they are certainly won't help to ingratiate myself to these people, but I'm fine with not being friends with those who, through their actions, have demonstrated an extreme lack of disregard for my loved ones and me.
Wow, now you are accusing nameless people of being murderers. So I assume you don't want discussion with these others at all, just berating them. Talk about "How to Win Friends and Influence People"!

Shaul

Premium Member
However, these sorts of indirect deaths should have gone down evenly across the board as vaccinations started and healthcare system capacity improved. But this study found that this wasn't the case: as vaccination levels overall increased, the discrepancy between Republican deaths and Democrat deaths grew wider, even when controlling for other variables (e.g. age).
It does not follow that they would go down evenly across groups. Also it could be argued that the study "cherry picked" the samples from states that suited a bias.

This study ignores other factors and confuses association with causality. It is well established that age and COVID-19 mortality are correlated. It is also true that older people tend to be Republican and younger people tend to be Democrats.
Party Identification Varies Widely Across the Age Spectrum

This study is flawed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Wow, now you are accusing nameless people of being murderers. So I assume you don't want discussion with these others at all, just berating them.
Not just berating them, but it's on the list.

Talk about "How to Win Friends and Influence People"!
I have too much self-respect to try to win "friends" who show wanton disregard for my well-being.