• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could someone please explain the trinity?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Truth said:
I think there are many threads so far talking about sonship and stuff so far but my question is how is it possible that they are equal in power and glory and in john 5:30 we can see this: "I can of myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is righteous; because I don't seek my own will, but the will of my Father who sent me."

I know that you used to it and you think this is the truth and i understand that but only for seconds will you think of this verse? what does it mean ??
I suspect that it means exactly what it says. God the Father sent His Son, Jesus Christ, not visa versa. Jesus also prayed to His Father, not visa versa. He also gained His knowledge from His Father, not visa versa. There are so many scriptures that speak of the Son as being subordinate to the Father that I would be impossible to list them here. On the other hand, Truth, I don't see any of these verses as denying the divinity of Jesus Christ. All they really do is denote the fact that the Father and Son are two distinct beings.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Katzpur said:
I suspect that it means exactly what it says..
so we are not sure about nothing right?

Katzpur said:
I don't see any of these verses as denying the divinity of Jesus Christ. All they really do is denote the fact that the Father and Son are two distinct beings.
* and at the same time I don't see any of these verses as proving the divinity of Jesus Christ.

and good that you admitted that Father and Son are two distinct beings because some people says they are all actually 1 person which made me confused.

however, there are many sons in the bible and Jesus Christ wasn't the only one who called that.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Truth said:
so we are not sure about nothing right?
Well, I'm sure about my own beliefs. I don't know about you.

* and at the same time I don't see any of these verses as proving the divinity of Jesus Christ.

Please stay on topic. Thanks.

and good that you admitted that Father and Son are two distinct beings because some people says they are all actually 1 person which made me confused.
I'm not a Trinitarian. I don't believe what most Christians believe about the nature of God.

however, there are many sons in the bible and Jesus Christ wasn't the only one who called that.

Again, you're straying from the topic of the thread.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Katzpur said:
Again, you're straying from the topic of the thread.
* ops, sorry ..i went so far with my ideas and i let Katzpur be angry with me. :banghead3

i will not stray from the topic again :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Truth said:
* ops, sorry ..i went so far with my ideas and i let Katzpur be angry with me. :banghead3

i will not stray from the topic again :D
I'm not mad in the slightest. Just doing my job. ;)

Rolling_Stone

To understand the Trinity concept we have to understand that the Latin and Greek words translated as “person” does not mean what it commonly means in modern English. For us, “person” suggests a separate being and thus “Trinity” suggests something like a committee of three separate beings. But in the early texts, “person” refers to masks worn by actors in Greek and Roman theaters, not for concealment or disguise, but for their corresponding roles. To speak of three persons in one God is to say that God three different masks.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Rolling_Stone said:
To understand the Trinity concept we have to understand that the Latin and Greek words translated as “person” does not mean what it commonly means in modern English. For us, “person” suggests a separate being and thus “Trinity” suggests something like a committee of three separate beings. But in the early texts, “person” refers to masks worn by actors in Greek and Roman theaters, not for concealment or disguise, but for their corresponding roles. To speak of three persons in one God is to say that God three different masks.

Sorry, but you've got the wrong word there. The word, with reference to the Trinity, that is translated as person (and it's from Greek, the Latin is itself a translation) is Hypostasis. Translating this as person is really, really poor, which is why I tend to retain the original. In actual fact, the literal translation would be substance. Originally, ousion and hypostasis meant much the same thing, but the Fathers took the former to mean the Divine Esssence shared by all and the latter to describe the substance of the 'Persons', that which is unique to each. You are quite correct that Hypostsasis does not imply an individual in any way and that in Greek it is quite clear that God is one being, and not three separate individuals, but your masks answer (quite apart from being based on the wrong vocabulary) is actually that of the anti-Trinitarian modalists such as Sabellius. It isn't close to an accurate description of the Trinity.

James

Rolling_Stone

What is God's "substance"?
Spirit.
Sorry, but you've got the wrong word there.
Don't blame me. Blame Professor of Religion and Culture, Marcus Borg.:D

Personally, I like the way The URANTIA Book describes the Trinity. Briefly, as I understand it, God the Father is the personality of Infinity; the Son is the personality of the Father divested of everything non-spriritual and non-personal; and the Infinite Spirit is the Father-Son Mind coordinating the interaction between the Son and the divested realities.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Rolling_Stone said:
Spirit.Don't blame me. Blame Professor of Religion and Culture, Marcus Borg.:D

Personally, I like the way The URANTIA Book describes the Trinity. Briefly, as I understand it, God the Father is the personality of Infinity; the Son is the personality of the Father divested of everything non-spriritual and non-personal; and the Infinite Spirit is the Father-Son Mind coordinating the interaction between the Son and the divested realities.

That's not the Trinity either - at least it's not close to the definition of the Ecumenical Councils. It doesn't sound too far from some of Bl. Augustine's heretical speculations, but then we do reject practically all of his theology as being in opposition to the catholic faith. It is certainly better than a certain other poster's (on another thread) answer of God, Jesus and Mary, though.

James

gola153

Pretty much what May said it was, a manmade doctrine. The word Trinity does not even appear in the Bible, and the two passages which allude to this phony doctrine - Matthew 28:19 and 1 John 5:7-9 have both been proven to be corruptions which were purposely added to the Scriptures to add validity to it. (Guess who added these illegal verses)

Jesus railed against the Pharisees over and over for teaching the precepts of man over the Word of God. Guess who today's Pharisees are? Name the organized religion (especially the ones who offer the simple-minded Trinity) and there you will find the Pharisees.

This doesn't nor should it nullify the teachings of the Bible, but it does nullify those religions which do not teach what the Bible teaches. These religions, in the hands of the wrong men for centuries, have given God and true Christianity a very bad name.

The Trinity is a simple minded explanation of the complex relationship between God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit, which can only be understood when one lives according to the Way of God as taught by Jesus Christ. This relationship is spiritually discerned and by definition, cannot be understood by one who is not spiritual. Spirituality is taught in the Bible.

The doctrine of the Trinity is, at first senseless, then absurd and illogical. Saying you believe that God is divided into three equal parts denies much of the Scriptures which state repeatedly that God is One, and that only through Christ (imitating him) can one even have a relationship with the Creator. Jesus, the Holy Spirit, you and I and everything else are all a part of God. As Paul said to the Greeks, "[FONT=&quot]Acts 17:26: And he made from one man every nation of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their habitation, 27: that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel after him and find him. Yet he is not far from each one of us. 28: For, ‘In him we live and move and have our being’ as even some of your poets have said, ‘For we are indeed his offspring.’[/FONT]

Here is the doctrine of the Trinity in a "nut" shell. Here is a box. Let us call it a Trinity. Let us put God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit into this box. Now, let us go and worship this box.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Jesus offered mankind a new covenant, which superceded everything that went before him, and said nothing about a Trinity. Saying you accept the Trinity is like saying, "I trust my blind guide, and oh by the way, I haven't really read the whole Bible to understand it myself."

If you are looking for the truth don't bother with your neighborhood Christian church, especially the ones that espouse the doctrine of the Trinity. God is a little more complicated than a simple doctrine. If you want to know the truth, learn and then live God's Way that was taught by Jesus Christ, follow all the rules, read a good Bible daily, and humble yourself before your Creator. Do so and He will give you the knowledge and wisdom you will need to understand what God is about (at least to the extent that He will enable you to).

Ecclesiastes 12 - The whole duty of man is to fear God and obey His commandments.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
gola153 said:
Pretty much what May said it was, a manmade doctrine. The word Trinity does not even appear in the Bible,
sFun_blahblah.gif
sFun_blahblah.gif
sFun_blahblah.gif

dogsgod

ThisShouldMakeSense said:
Hi,
Could someone please explain the trinity? i'm curious.

Thanks

The Holy Spirit is the tricky part of the Trinity, simply put it is the medium in which the hand of God can manipulate the laws of physics on behalf of the believer.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but why is it an unforgivable sin to speak against the Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit)? How could there be an unforgivable sin? Doesn't that go against the main idea of Christianity?