• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could God's purpose for you be "evil"?

Squirt

This general idea came up in another thread recently, and I’d like to look at it more closely. The thought was presented that God has a plan for each of us and that a person who chooses to commit an act that we as civilized human beings consider to be “evil,” may, in fact, just be fulfilling part of God’s plan. If this is the case, it would be entirely wrong of us to assume that God will punish this person. After all, he was only acting out the role assigned to him. What do you think of this concept? To me, it makes no sense at all.

Aqualung

Tasty
Well, if society's views of what "evil" is skewed (for example, saying you're the son of god, or healing somebody on the sabbath), then yes.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
--Suicide is a sin, saving a child makes you a hero. What if you want to commit suicide and see a child under fire. You think:"I might as well jump in front of the bullit and save the child" and be an eternally doomed hero.--

If God loves your free will so much, how can he punish the ones using it? The only reference you theists got is documentary. You all asume the bible is written by God, but that only asuming(what you want to call believing..) How can wars be evil when this world needs them?

[This is not one story, just spinnings of my thoughts ;) ]

Squirt

I think both of the posters who have responded to my OP misunderstood what I way getting it. Let's take Judas, for instance -- since he is often mentioned as being unfairly maligned for his betrayal of Christ. I've heard people question whether or not he can really be held responsible for turning against Jesus since it appears to have been God's plan that His Son be crucified to redeem us, and Judas was, after all, just fulfilling God's plan.

Okay, to take this one step further... If God knows everything that's going to happen to every single person from the moment that person is born until he dies, then can the individual who pulls a gun in a crowded McDonald's, kills three innocent people and injures another dozen really be held responsible for what he did? If he hadn't done it, the people who died would not have died at the time God had predetermined they should die. The injured people's lives would not have been affected as God knew they would be if the gunman had had second thoughts. So was the gunman really doing anything other than fulfill the purpose God intended him to fulfill when He placed him here on earth?

kevmicsmi

Squirt said:
I think both of the posters who have responded to my OP misunderstood what I way getting it. Let's take Judas, for instance -- since he is often mentioned as being unfairly maligned for his betrayal of Christ. I've heard people question whether or not he can really be held responsible for turning against Jesus since it appears to have been God's plan that His Son be crucified to redeem us, and Judas was, after all, just fulfilling God's plan.

Okay, to take this one step further... If God knows everything that's going to happen to every single person from the moment that person is born until he dies, then can the individual who pulls a gun in a crowded McDonald's, kills three innocent people and injures another dozen really be held responsible for what he did? If he hadn't done it, the people who died would not have died at the time God had predetermined they should die. The injured people's lives would not have been affected as God knew they would be if the gunman had had second thoughts. So was the gunman really doing anything other than fulfill the purpose God intended him to fulfill when He placed him here on earth?
Although God is Omniscient, I dont think He micromanages situations. I think there is a difference between knowingly allowing, and directing. Great question though. My head might just explode thinking about it!

standing_on_one_foot

Well...possibly if G-d's purpose for you is evil then G-d's purpose for you is also to be punished?

Or worse...what if G-d's just making it up as He goes along? Or maybe it's like reading ahead in a book. You know how things are going to end, but you've only a vague idea how that's going to happen.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
This seems to bring in two scenarios. One is the free-will of man. The other is the omniscience of God. We are each able to make our own choices as to whether to do good or evil. god in His omniscience can choose to do with what He will with the choices He knows we are going to make.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Squirt said:
This general idea came up in another thread recently, and I’d like to look at it more closely. The thought was presented that God has a plan for each of us and that a person who chooses to commit an act that we as civilized human beings consider to be “evil,” may, in fact, just be fulfilling part of God’s plan. If this is the case, it would be entirely wrong of us to assume that God will punish this person. After all, he was only acting out the role assigned to him. What do you think of this concept? To me, it makes no sense at all.
my belief is that God does not have our entire lifes mapped out, and god cannot see exactly what im gonna do

however, i believe God does plan to throw up some obstacles in everyones lifes, and we have the freedom to choose how we react to them

we always have a choice, and we know when we are doing something evil/bad/wrong. we can choose to stop, we can choose to not do it. a God that wants me to do something evil/bad/wrong is not a God i would kneel before and worship.

Squirt

kevmicsmi said:
Although God is Omniscient, I dont think He micromanages situations.
I couldn't have said it better. I don't see God's omniscience as meaning that he has orchestrated every moment of every person's life.

standing_on_one_foot said:
Well...possibly if G-d's purpose for you is evil then G-d's purpose for you is also to be punished?
:biglaugh: That's good. I hadn't thought of that.

mike182 said:
A God that wants me to do something evil/bad/wrong is not a God i would kneel before and worship.
That's definitely how I see it, but I have talked to other posters who have (IMO) rationalized that we can't do anything that is outside of God's will, and that any behavior we engage in is part of "the Plan." I wish the person I'm thinking of would stop by and explain his position. It would make the discussion far less one-sided! :D

Aqualung

Tasty
Squirt said:

I don't think god predetermines when, where, and how we will die. I don't think he knows which choices we'll make, but rather, knows all the choices we can make and all the consequences of the different choices.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Squirt said:
That's definitely how I see it, but I have talked to other posters who have (IMO) rationalized that we can't do anything that is outside of God's will, and that any behavior we engage in is part of "the Plan." I wish the person I'm thinking of would stop by and explain his position. It would make the discussion far less one-sided! :D
that would be an interesting position to hear.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Squirt said:

The view assumes that God predestines all acts. If God does have a hand in, and chooses, all our choices, then yes, God chooses for us to do evil as well. The conclusion, though, is not so logical. That view of God also allows for a view of God that He might just torture us in His preordained plan (check out some forms of hyper-calvinism).

I would say, in response, that God's will cooperates with our own. In this way, we can choose something outside of His will, even contrary to it. God, however, can make use of it to work us as a whole toward His ends. We may still pave a road straight to Hell, though, because God has granted us a measure of free will we abuse.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I think that, in the Christ-event, God entered the human story, from human perspective, and worked out our salvation on human terms. God worked within the evil of humanity to create salvation. It's not God's plan for us that's evil, but God works within the milieu of the evil that we've created for ourselves.