• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cosmic Horrors

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I am sure most of you on this forum have heard of H.P. Lovecraft, not to stereotype. I had heard of him but was unaware of anything he really ever wrote until finally reading Call of Cthulhu last week. It re-stimulated some interesting ideas I have had in the past. I accepted a while back our insignificance in the universe, the lack of a divine and intelligent God, the meaningless behind our attempts to find a theory of everything before our species dies out. But in recent days, and thanks to this read, it made me start thinking about the idea of cosmic horrors. My friends and I were discussing that there is really no reason to shun the idea of something like Lovecraft's Great Old Ones or Mass Effect's Reapers, the latter surprisingly being seen as a more likely scenario.

But, I am not here to discuss the possibility of cosmic horrors when there would be no way to confirm or deny them past the likelihood that we are not alone. Rather, I wonder what you would do if you discovered these horrors existed (assuming you did not lose your sanity). Would you try to ally yourself with these beings? Would you honor them and aid them in completing their amoral objectives? How would you handle the undeniable existence of cosmic horrors if faced with such a truth?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It really depends on the deity. Someone like Yog-Sothoth would be worth allying with, since his objectives are basically non-existent and the benefits are wonderful. Someone like Nyarlathotep or his many avatars on the other hand aren't worth the effort or the risk.

But in all honesty, I would probably go insane.

Orias

Left Hand Path
This is something I have thought of fairly often. I loved the Mass Effect storyline, and I wouldn't doubt if there was something along similar lines that actually existed.

It also reminds me of an old 70's horror comic called "Through a Glass Darkly" by Tom Sutton. It can be found in "The Mammoth Book Book of Best Horror Comics".

As for my reaction, I'm not sure. I would probably fear, but I would almost be instinctually calm, this is because I think the only time we would be able to witness is before they devour us.

But a "Cosmic Horror" may be less convincing than a race of super intelligent aliens that are capable of building a thing like a "Death Star". But at the same time I find both ideas very interesting, and as humans we would probably provoke it then it would kill us or the other way around.

Such concepts often make for great stories :D

Premium Member
The Reapers were super intelligent aliens who are also cosmic horrors haha, which makes them far more terrifying. The idea of Space Squid type beings flying through space may not be as possible as half organic / half machine beings built by an advanced society, though we only know that Earth life cannot survive in space, which doesn't exclude cosmic horrors being able to do so. But, when those giant tentacles come through the clouds to destroy all life, will them being organic or machine really change whether you consider them a cosmic horror?

Orias

Left Hand Path
The Reapers were super intelligent aliens who are also cosmic horrors haha, which makes them far more terrifying.

Agreed.

The idea of Space Squid type beings flying through space may not be as possible as half organic / half machine beings built by an advanced society, though we only know that Earth life cannot survive in space, which doesn't exclude cosmic horrors being able to do so. But, when those giant tentacles come through the clouds to destroy all life, will them being organic or machine really change whether you consider them a cosmic horror?

I think the giant space squid was more of a metaphor, like gravity, makes me think of the Big Crunch theory. Its an energy, and all matter is entangled in its web, draining an unknown energy from all things.

But a space horror wouldn't really be based on it being organic or machine, as I find both as being a natural and potentially terrifying thing :yes:

And I agree that a half organic/machine ship is more possible than a literal flying space squid, but then again if there is anything like that it might just be that!

I remember making a post a while ago that used the example of fishermen in Japan overfishing jellyfish. And every time they catch a batch of jellyfish, they drop their reproductive fluids into the ocean and create more jellyfish. And they aren't even purposely fishing for jellyfish.

It was about some thing that if some type of extinction were to happen the jellyfish would be most likely to evolve along the same evolutionary standard as we did. I cannot remember for the life of me what program that was now :(

Premium Member
The interesting thing is I think the squids and other cephlapods are likely to rise up after our inevitable extinction. The question is will their bretheran in space be the ones to bring about that extinction? Hehe

Premium Member
Actually, my fellow Mass Effect fan, I just realized that in ME1 Sovereign was searching for the conduit for possibly over a century. Based on the in-game date, it seems possible Sovereign tried to open the relay on December 21, 2012 :O

Orias

Left Hand Path
LOL.

I've had similar theories. Its kind of scary if you think about it, Mass Relays would be mind blowing, but even based upon the game it would take a long time for us to even reach it.

Premium Member
The whole idea is scary, because when you think about it how are such concepts even unlikely? In fact, it seems more likely than not that we are not alone in the galaxy and universe, and we are not that old or advanced of a species. Even the idea in Mass Effect of time cycling seems likely, as why would it be the one part of reality to not cycle?

Orias

Left Hand Path
I don't think we are alone, but I think the reason for us not being fully aware of that is if there are other alien races, maybe we are too dumb or primitive for us to be able to fully comprehend them and not go absolutely berserk on them.

Or they could be hostile, I'd imagine they'd have to be somewhat like us, consisting of matter and intelligence. I think if the day does come where we find intelligent life other than "ours" it will probably be one the most signifying and historical events, and like I said before it might even be the day we die.

But I don't want to get too carried away with that, I already have problems of my own :p

Premium Member
Well it doesn't matter much anyways if we will just instantly be destroyed like annoying insects haha. Advanced species may understand more, such as the cycles in ME, and act in accordance with them.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Exactly. If there were such species, I would think they can be reflected upon in reference to the two tribes of Gods, Aesir and Vanir.

Premium Member
You realize that pastafarianism is a blasphemous religion started when a mere human saw a Space Squid and ignorantly thought it was a bunch of flying noodles.

Premium Member
Yes, to my knowledge I did. Actually I've put a lot of thought into semi-joke lines of thought like that. While Space Squids double as an inside joke and example of ridiculous beliefs, they also serve as an example of very possible cosmic horrors existing. It's funny and scary all at the same time.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
You really should actually read it. "Music of Erick Zann", "Colour out of space", "The Mountains of Madness", "Whisperer in Darkness"(<-total satanic story). HP Lovecraft was a brilliant, brilliant, very eccentric and frightened man. Reading his letters its hard to imagine many of his ideas as coming from anything less than a PSYCHEDELICALLY ENORMOUS racism, but I still love the man dearly. My favorite stories are Through the Gates of the Silver Key parts one and two (you have to read Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath first, which is the closest he ever got to Tolkeen). Part two has some genuine wisdom regarding travelling in extradimensional locales.

Most of the cosmic horrrors I have personally experienced were man-made, I'm afraid. Even if channeled from shuggoth.

Last edited: