• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cosmic Horrors

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Exactly. If there were such species, I would think they can be reflected upon in reference to the two tribes of Gods, Aesir and Vanir.
Or Devas and Asuras, the latter being the ancestors of the Aesir.
You really should actually read it. "Music of Erick Zann", "Colour out of space", "The Mountains of Madness", "Whisperer in Darkness"(<-total satanic story). HP Lovecraft was a brilliant, brilliant, very eccentric and frightened man. Reading his letters its hard to imagine many of his ideas as coming from anything less than a PSYCHEDELICALLY ENORMOUS racism, but I still love the man dearly. My favorite stories are Through the Gates of the Silver Key parts one and two (you have to read Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath first, which is the closest he ever got to Tolkeen). Part two has some genuine wisdom regarding travelling in extradimensional locales.

Erick Zann is one that truly stands out in my mind. He gave us nothing and left us with nothing as to just what the hell is going on! The scribblings of a madman desperate to explain suddenly blown out the window...

The most amusing part is some of Lovecraft's tales were lifted directly from his own dreams.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I am sure most of you on this forum have heard of H.P. Lovecraft, not to stereotype. I had heard of him but was unaware of anything he really ever wrote until finally reading Call of Cthulhu last week. It re-stimulated some interesting ideas I have had in the past. I accepted a while back our insignificance in the universe, the lack of a divine and intelligent God, the meaningless behind our attempts to find a theory of everything before our species dies out. But in recent days, and thanks to this read, it made me start thinking about the idea of cosmic horrors. My friends and I were discussing that there is really no reason to shun the idea of something like Lovecraft's Great Old Ones or Mass Effect's Reapers, the latter surprisingly being seen as a more likely scenario.

But, I am not here to discuss the possibility of cosmic horrors when there would be no way to confirm or deny them past the likelihood that we are not alone. Rather, I wonder what you would do if you discovered these horrors existed (assuming you did not lose your sanity). Would you try to ally yourself with these beings? Would you honor them and aid them in completing their amoral objectives? How would you handle the undeniable existence of cosmic horrors if faced with such a truth?

Doors you should also read Lovecraft's "The Haunter of the Dark" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", as well as, "The Metaphysics of Lovecraft", "The Call to Cthulhu", and "The Ceremony of the Nine Angles" in the Satanic Rituals. Back in the early 90's I performed the Ceremony of the Nine Angles with two other Setians. As a result of that rite I became Aware of the Cosmic Horrors and incorporated the essences of Yog-Sothoth, Shub-Niggurath, and Nyarlathotep into my own being, or perhaps it was they who incorporated themselves within me. As reflections of what I call the Powers of Darkness, the Old Ones became just as much a part of my reality as Set, or Khepera, or Maat. It also opened me up to the ideas of Mass Effects and Racial Memories.

Zhar-v zy-d'syn. Nal Y'gs-Othoth krell N'yra-l'yht-Otp.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
One of the interests of the Order of the Trapezoid of the Temple of Set is the metaphysics and mythos of H.P. Lovecraft in Magic. The following essay by a Grand Master Emeritus of the O.' '.T.' '. is a must read.

When The Stars Come Right Again

The Truth shall make you flee.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Orias, and anyone else who understands;
I just finished a second playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy, this time with the far better ending DLC. I came to the realization that the Reapers aren't even the cosmic horrors, rather the cyclical nature of time is. I find that even more frightening in many ways, and more like the forever unstoppable horrors of Cosmicism.

Premium Member
Also, I picked up a huge collection of Lovecraft's work and will read all the recommended stories.

Premium Member
Doors, could you please explain what a Cosmic Horror is to non-Lovecraft readers?

Hmmm, I wish I could think of a movie example but I only have recognized Cosmic Horrors in video games, with the exception of that God-awful Hellboy movie. A Cosmic Horror is a natural part of the universe far beyond our understanding and probably unknown and realized by humanity at large. We are insignificant next to a cosmic horror. It does not care about our values, our morals, our beliefs, our problems, etc. It works in its own way and nothing we can conceive will stop that besides perhaps destroying it (in the case of an actual being). So, two good example can come from the Lovecraft and Mass Effect examples. A Cosmic Horrors may be a massive, ancient, powerful, incomprehensible natural being that exist in this universe with us but far outside our understanding. Or, a cosmic horror could be the fact that time cycles, and no matter what we do we a slaves to that cycle. A further example of this outside of Mass Effect would be the idea of pole shifts that people are currently freaking out about. Ever _____ years the consciousness of life on earth shifts or something like that. While it seems possible that time cycles and events repeat on a long enough timeline, if true there is no way to stop it and it also will logically end in our doom. That, to me, is a scarier cosmic horror than alien beings who could, possibly, be stopped. However, this thread is addressing the existence of beings such as Cthulhu rather than the cyclical nature of time.

Premium Member
If anyone played Halo: Combat Evolved, the Flood is a cosmic horror IMO. However, I may question that with the introduction of the gravemind in Halo 2.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Bleh. I prefer the language derived directly from his works.

Bleh yourself. :p I seek the knowledge of the Old Ones where ever it may be found, especially from those who have actually Magically Worked with Them.

V'rohz vuy-kn i'nkh-v zy-d'syn ur'bre-el hy'j whreng'n nakhreng'h yh'whreng'n kyenn'h.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
That is an interesting link Orias, however, the reality of the Old Ones go far beyond any video game analysis.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Premium Member
The Old Ones are either fictional beings or natural beings, not anything you interact or do magical workings with.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The Old Ones are either fictional beings or natural beings, not anything you interact or do magical workings with.

What Understanding of the Old Ones has brought you to this way of thinking? As the alien gods of the Lovecraftian Mythos are the very manifestation of non-natural consciousness.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Bleh yourself. :p I seek the knowledge of the Old Ones where ever it may be found, especially from those who have actually Magically Worked with Them.

V'rohz vuy-kn i'nkh-v zy-d'syn ur'bre-el hy'j whreng'n nakhreng'h yh'whreng'n kyenn'h.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!
:thud:

jasonwill2

What the heck have I walked into? We are combining influences from horror fic, video games, magick, and who knows what all else.