• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment in schools should be abolished

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Raising your observations and opinions in a general debate forum does generally make them open to being challenged though.
We live in the same country, and I think your summation of the issues in schools is completely over-simplistic. No way bringing back the cane fixes the very real issues with Australian schooling. Not even from a discipline point of view.

In my opinion.

Yes I agree, there is no way to bring it back, we have left it fare too late, we now have to reap what we have sowed.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
'so called do gooders'

How do you define that group, out of interest?

Well I read about it and it seems that its just another ideology, there is pro's and con's, I don't know a lot about it, but as I have already said, its fare too late to go back, so lets hope for the good of this planet and everyone on it, that it works.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't care about the Montessori, I'm just saying what I have observed, wee need to think for ourselves instead of listening to all the so called do gooders.

maybe you don't like that method because Dr. Montessori was Italian?
It's not an accusation...just a supposition

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm not too fond of people, policies, or institutions that would teach kids to resolve issues with beatings.

At the same time, I'm not inclined to buy into the notion that today's brats are any worse than yesterday's brats, or that today's children are any more spoiled than yesterday's children. I've noticed that people who say such things never seem to have scientifically established facts to back up their speculations. Golly, I wonder why?

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist
At the same time, I'm not inclined to buy into the notion that today's brats are any worse than yesterday's brats, or that today's children are any more spoiled than yesterday's children. I've noticed that people who say such things never seem to have scientifically established facts to back up their speculations. Golly, I wonder why?

Kids are no different, we just changed society and they're adapting. My mom was complaining about my nephew and saying "I never played video games that much," and I burst out laughing. She didn't have a TV, for God's sake! If they'd have been around, she'd have behaved exactly the way the kids today do. People have kept on being people for ever.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Kids are no different, we just changed society and they're adapting. My mom was complaining about my nephew and saying "I never played video games that much," and I burst out laughing. She didn't have a TV, for God's sake! If they'd have been around, she'd have behaved exactly the way the kids today do. People have kept on being people for ever.

My best friend is a primary school teacher and she told me that her pupils are really polite and calm. I guess that in the 80s kids were little rascals...compared to the kids of nowadays

I also privately teach middle-school kids French...and all of them are incredibly polite

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
thank you. I am flattered. Australia is indescribable...besides my favorite book is The Thorn Birds

By the way, I don't think I told you but I was stationed in Naples, Italy from 1986 until 1988. An enjoyable experience (when I wasn't on duty).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Luckily brutality like that are already illegal in any normal civilised countries.

Nah...it's actually not.
It's legal in one state of Australia, albeit only in private schools, and I believe there are only 2 remaining who actually use it.

We have our faults, but I'd submit we're a pretty normal, first world, western democracy.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
I'm not too fond of people, policies, or institutions that would teach kids to resolve issues with beatings.
I'm hesitant around any philosophy that doesn't teach that violence is sometimes the proper response.

Golly, I wonder why?
I don't know... Because studies have been done that show just that... I'll look in PsychNet later for a more thorough list, but check out "Changes in Dispositional Empathy in American College Students Over Time: A Meta-Analysis" it was the only one I could find on a surface search. It suggests a staggering drop off in empathy among college students.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm hesitant around any philosophy that doesn't teach that violence is sometimes the proper response.

I don't know... Because studies have been done that show just that... I'll look in PsychNet later for a more thorough list, but check out "Changes in Dispositional Empathy in American College Students Over Time: A Meta-Analysis" it was the only one I could find on a surface search. It suggests a staggering drop off in empathy among college students.

Mine's a bit more anecdotal, but Australian schools have been bringing in specific programmes to address two key areas that modern students seem to lack when compared to students of 'yesteryear'.

Resillience, and Empathy. These weren't based on parent requests, especially, nor were they public issues that might win votes. My strong assumption is that were based on scientific studies.

Knowing the Australian Education departments, I might change that statement slightly. My strong assumption is that there is a measure of science in there.

niceguy

Nah...it's actually not.
It's legal in one state of Australia, albeit only in private schools, and I believe there are only 2 remaining who actually use it.

We have our faults, but I'd submit we're a pretty normal, first world, western democracy.

Almost normal, throw that cane in the trashbin and join the rest of us.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I've found this entire thread to be confusing. I can't quite tell who's being sarcastic and when. Maybe no one is being sarcastic? Could that be?

Are people actually arguing that fear, pain, shame, and public humiliation are society's best ideas for helping children become healthy, happy, contributing adults?

:no: :no: :no:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Should schools also integrate nudity into the curriculum? After all, nudity is sometimes appropriate... IMO more often than violence, actually.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Our local schools teach that if you're violently attacked, to respond with violence is wrong.
A victim (who puts up a defense) of an attack is suspended just as long as the attacker.
It's all part of this "zero tolerance" crap which allows the school to avoid using any judgement
or common sense. So I counseled my kids to respond to violence with more overwhelming
violence. Were they to get kicked out for it, I'd reward them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Our local schools teach that if you're violently attacked, to respond with violence is wrong.
A victim (who puts up a defense) of an attack is suspended just as long as the attacker.
It's all part of this "zero tolerance" crap which allows the school to avoid using any judgement
or common sense. So I counseled my kids to respond to violence with more overwhelming
violence. Were they to get kicked out for it, I'd reward them.

If we wanted to teach kids about appropriate use of violence, I think it would be much more appropriate to do it through some sort of martial arts module in phys. ed. that includes discussion about the issue (including a discussion of de-escalation and non-violent conflict resolution) than to just have teachers spank students in front of the class and hope they get whatever message this is supposed to convey.

Frankly, I don't see how hitting kids for minor offenses would ever help teach kids about appropriate uses of violence.