• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Core Axioms of Hinduism?

prometheuspan

feral satyr
What are the core axioms of Hinduism?

How many Hindu denominations are there?

How has the axiomatic list evolved or changed over time?

Satsangi

The link below explains about Hinduism.

FAQs - Hinduism

Your second question- Main sects are Shaiva, Vaishnava, Smarta, Shakta.

The third question-- From sect to sect there may be some variation; basic underlying principles, I believe, have remained same by and large.

Regards,

Wannabe Yogi

Satasang gave a great response about the main sects. It is also important to remember that some sects of Hinduism have been Atheistic in the past. So Hinduism is a very big tent.

Has it changed over the years of coarse it has. Names have changed, worship methods become more or less popular according to the tastes of the time period. You can still find fire worship ceremonies that have been done for at least 4,000 years. I just read that the French Archaeologists have dug up a figure of a women (at Maganth in Pakistan)with a bindi on her forehead (just like Indian women use today) the early carbon dating tests put it at at 11,000 bc. This shows a very long history of cultural continuity.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
A long time ago, animal sacrifice was preformed more readily, until the concept of total ahimsa was adapted from Jainism (along with idol worship; before that, it was primarily fire-rituals.)

There's a little bit of history. ^_^

prometheuspan

feral satyr
thank you for your replies.

Axioms? Hinduism?

yes, even an elastic set of completely inobvious starting assumptions is actually a set of axioms from the loser definition of axiom being " any single whole statement."

compared to all the upstart religions the elasticity does make it a bit stretched to use the word in the normal sense and so i see why that could be seen as humurous.

however, every paradigm or system has its core axioms, Hinduism (and different denominations have different ones ...) has its own.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend prometheuspan,

Core Axioms of Hinduism?
What are the core axioms of Hinduism?

Personal understanding: The word *hinduism* is incorrect as any *ism* it self means it is based on a particular set of principle; which is not as actually it is Sanatan Dharma and Sanatan means *eternal* as Dharma means *Laws of nature*. Sanatan Dharma in other words means a way of life and every human has a way of life which is unique and is is also following a law of nature and so following dharma which is eternal. Yes some are following it *consciously* others not so.
In effect, response to your above query can be stated as The laws of existence themselves are at the core of Sanatan Dharma.

How many Hindu denominations are there?
Personal understanding:
As many humans, theoretically, practically there are numerous paths and ways accepted and followed by many and they are numerous and no statistics are available.

How has the axiomatic list evolved or changed over time?
Evolution is eternal and timeless and so is dharma and in effect that is Sanatan Dharma.

Love & rgds

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
thank you for your replies.

yes, even an elastic set of completely inobvious starting assumptions is actually a set of axioms from the loser definition of axiom being " any single whole statement."

compared to all the upstart religions the elasticity does make it a bit stretched to use the word in the normal sense and so i see why that could be seen as humurous.

however, every paradigm or system has its core axioms, Hinduism (and different denominations have different ones ...) has its own.

The Vedas are the highest spiritual authority. That's really the only axiom universal to all Hindu religions.

prometheuspan

feral satyr
zen zero, that was very interesting and quite specific tho brief. It would be illuminating to go into deeper details.

Would you?
Elaborate?

prometheuspan

feral satyr
From what I actually even know about the Vedic hymns is that they're not even meant to be read at all. They're meant to be recited. ^_^

yes, i wonder how that would sound?

---------

Quote:
Good idea! The DIRs may not be the best place though. Have you seen our Comparative Religions forum? That may be best.
hmm. I will look but it seems likely that such a forum would offer little in terms
being specific enough and then I'd end up flooding it with my ten threads.

plus i am not so sure i am comparing anything to anything except denominations
to each other.

but i will look...

Quote:
and not interested in having it torn down before they are able to share their personal knowledge.
i'm only helping to share the knowledge where i am a bridge to a larger group of people who normally don't talk about religions.

tearing things down is their habit and my problem; because that doesn't lead to a positive or tenable promotions department.

Information & Promotion Group

I can't sell Islamic fundies on new arcologies for their dense populations if i have twelve threads dedicated to helping along the genocide
by demonizing fundie Islamics.

Thats the most obvious example.

To frame this i guess for perspective since its become so strangely complicated;

I'm interested in selling them the Arcology, to do that first i have to demonstrate that I'm kewl with their ;

whatevahs.

i mean it does and it doesn't matter; i mean i care in that i need to know about their whatevahs to be clear and present with them andmake them an arcology
that suits their culture and aesthetics...

does this make sense? am i just babbling now?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
yes, i wonder how that would sound?

---------

[youtube]Iami3qlCPCQ[/youtube]

[youtube]UGT21BRnICU[/youtube]

[youtube]hotk5_ndOzw[/youtube]

:D This is part of the Krishna Yajur Veda: Sri Rudram, a very popular set of hymns for Shaivites.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend prometheuspan,

zen zero, that was very interesting and quite specific tho brief. It would be illuminating to go into deeper details.

Simply put, considering the self to be an individual energy which is part of the universal energy/consciousness in human form one is always connected.

Each individual form is just a part of that *whole* and also a medium in another way which keeps evolving or turing the dharma wheel.
Dharma or laws of existence is eternal *sanatan dharma* and one has to tune in to be the medium itself.
As forms keep changing each unit has been and will remain in different forms in existence till eternity and so one has gone through many lives. experiences, gurus etc besides each unit is directly always connected. All that is required is the tuning In and one will find surrounded by the universal consciousness which ever path he takes and so each individual is a path unto himself.

Can discuss more on specific queries.

Love & rgds

Wannabe Yogi

From what I actually even know about the Vedic hymns is that they're not even meant to be read at all. They're meant to be recited. ^_^

True but people today still read them. They were originally memorized and many groups refuse to even write them down.

I also know people that chant the whole Gita every day. I find vedic Sanskrit very hard to understand. Classical Sanskrit has meters that are much easier to follow. It is also much more familiar to most people.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK. There are no universal, orthodox Hindu doctrines, but there are some typical features or concepts:

Brahman) Brahman is Conscious Objective Reality. It's an undifferentiated, featureless, timeless, spaceless Consciousness. It's the essence of Reality. In the ultimate level of consciousness one merges with or becomes Brahman. [Note: there are several orthodox but dualistic schools of Hinduism that do not subscribe to this concept]

Maya) "Illusion." The world as we perceive it is illusory and subjective. It's an abstract representation of Reality created in our own minds. "Reality is structured in consciousness" -- Rik?

Levels of consciousness) The subjective represention of reality we perceive can be reformatted to more accurately depict "real," objective Reality. Reality is perceived differently in different "levels of consciousness".

Enlightenment/Samsara) The ultimate goal of Hinduism is to wake up, ie: achieve a level of consciousness beyond subjectivity, where Objective Reality is directly experienced; where one is merged with/identical to Brahman.

Dharma) Dharma's the life 'blueprint' one's born with which most efficiently advances one spiritually, ie: advances one's level of consciousness or lays the groundwork for the achievement of higher levels of consciousness.
There is a great emphasis on following one's dharma in popular Hinduism, though it often devolves to a slavish obsession with social minutiae.

Re-incarnation/transmigration) Time is illusory and Consciousness is not bound by it. The One Universal Consciousness (Brahman) "peeks/leaks out" through various "incarnations" eternally, giving the subjective impression of a time and space bound individuality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wannabe Yogi

OK. There are no universal, orthodox Hindu doctrines, but there are some typical features or concepts:

Brahman) Brahman is Conscious Objective Reality. It's an undifferentiated, featureless, timeless, spaceless Consciousness. It's the essence of Reality. In the ultimate level of consciousness one merges with or becomes Brahman. [Note: there are several orthodox but dualistic schools of Hinduism that do not subscribe to this concept]

Maya) "Illusion." The world as we perceive it is illusory and subjective. It's an abstract representation of Reality created in our own minds. "Reality is structured in consciousness" -- Rik?

Levels of consciousness) The subjective represention of reality we perceive can be reformatted to more accurately depict "real," objective Reality. Reality is perceived differently in different "levels of consciousness".

Enlightenment/Samsara) The ultimate goal of Hinduism is to wake up, ie: achieve a level of consciousness beyond subjectivity, where Objective Reality is directly experienced; where one is merged with/identical to Brahman.

Dharma) Dharma's the life 'blueprint' one's born with which most efficiently advances one spiritually, ie: advances one's level of consciousness or lays the groundwork for the achievement of higher levels of consciousness.
There is a great emphasis on following one's dharma in popular Hinduism, though it often devolves to a slavish obsession with social minutiae.

Re-incarnation/transmigration) Time is illusory and Consciousness is not bound by it. The One Universal Consciousness (Brahma) "peeks/leaks out" through various "incarnations" eternally, giving the subjective impression of a time and space bound individuality.

This s the best short summerry that I have ever seen. I bow to you punditji

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Seyorni,

Yes, a great understanding!
frubals!

Should we not be consciously discussing /propagating the original and meaningful label *sanatan dharma* instead of another *ism* which by its very word limits itself to doctrines/rituals/etc. whereas dharma is boundariless, eternal, evolving, expanding...

Love & rgds