• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops Stand Down...

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
In the wake of public scrutiny, outcry and lawsuits, police officers across the USA are standing down on the job. In other words, they are not doing anything except showing up for work, clocking in, and sitting in their patrol cars. Crime rates are starting to soar because the criminals know that they have a larger window of opportunity.

Police officers have an extremely difficult job to do. They have to make split second decisions based on what they observe in that moment. Everyone else can take days or weeks to sit back, scrutinize and armchair quarterback those decisions. Police are often hated, assaulted, shot at by criminals and betrayed by the very department they work for in order for the department to "save face" in the public eye. More times than not, police officers are judged in the "Court of Public Opinion" long before the facts of a case are even known.

Many people hate a cop simply because he wears a badge. He could be the most courteous, lenient and understanding officer you'll ever meet, but they don't care. He is a cop, and all cops are corrupt, evil tools of a system of oppression. Sigh.

There are roughly ~1 million LEOs in the US.

99.5% of those LEOs will NEVER have to fire their weapons in the line of duty.

Only .5% (or roughly 5,000) will engage in a gunfight or have to fire at a threat, and of those only a small handful are actually "illegal" shootings. If a cop does an illegal shooting (such as Officer Michael Slager) then YES, they deserve to go to prison.

But when you paint all cops in a negative light, constantly complain about them, the media constantly running with a story despite the facts to the contrary, and the Mayor's Office telling the Police Chief "we need more revenue...write more tickets and make more arrests" only to burn the cops when something happens...

...it is no wonder that cops are saying to hell with it.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
In the wake of public scrutiny, outcry and lawsuits, police officers across the USA are standing down on the job. In other words, they are not doing anything except showing up for work, clocking in, and sitting in their patrol cars. Crime rates are starting to soar because the criminals know that they have a larger window of opportunity.

Police officers have an extremely difficult job to do. They have to make split second decisions based on what they observe in that moment. Everyone else can take days or weeks to sit back, scrutinize and armchair quarterback those decisions. Police are often hated, assaulted, shot at by criminals and betrayed by the very department they work for in order for the department to "save face" in the public eye. More times than not, police officers are judged in the "Court of Public Opinion" long before the facts of a case are even known.

Many people hate a cop simply because he wears a badge. He could be the most courteous, lenient and understanding officer you'll ever meet, but they don't care. He is a cop, and all cops are corrupt, evil tools of a system of oppression. Sigh.

Only .5% (or roughly 5,000) will engage in a gunfight or have to fire at a threat, and of those only a small handful are actually "illegal" shootings. If a cop does an illegal shooting (such as Officer Michael Slager) then YES, they deserve to go to prison.

But when you paint all cops in a negative light, constantly complain about them, the media constantly running with a story despite the facts to the contrary, and the Mayor's Office telling the Police Chief "we need more revenue...write more tickets and make more arrests" only to burn the cops when something happens...

I've the strangest feeling that you're not a cop, and nor is anyone in your family.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I myself have a lot of respect for cops.
Me too, but not for those who would participate in a strike because of public criticism. There are serious problems that need to he addressed, holding society to ransom is not the way people who have taken an oath to serve and protect should operate.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Me too, but not for those who would participate in a strike because of public criticism. There are serious problems that need to he addressed, holding society to ransom is not the way people who have taken an oath to serve and protect should operate.
Yes I can agree with that, but people must start to respect cops, no wonder cops are the way they are, with all the hate from the public all because of a small handful of bad cops, every job has good and bad people, its called life.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Cops in the US who report for duty but operate a 'no-response' or 'slow-response' policy should be sent home.
Americans are constantly going-on about their State militias, and the fact that many Americans arm themselves for their own safety. Now we hear that everything will fall over without cops.

I read that many US police forces are seriously into membership of secret-societies, thus creating an even wider rift between themselves are those who they claim to protect.........

After seeing some of the footage filmed by bystanders in extreme situations, I reckon that the whole service needs opening up, shaking down, retraining, re-supervising and sorting.

Let's see what happens.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I read that many US police forces are seriously into membership of secret-societies, thus creating an even wider rift between themselves are those who they claim to protect...

Damn! You have us figured out. So much for my secret decoder ring, handshake and VIP card. :rolleyes:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I'm with you on the general thrust of your sentiments. I think they deserve and have earned more respect than they get. It's a shame and I can see why they might have a morale problem in the current environment.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Damn! You have us figured out. So much for my secret decoder ring, handshake and VIP card. :rolleyes:
.......... that response shows it all. :D
We do have a prob in the UK with that.
Some cops can react differently in an exactly same situation, depending on whom they are faced with. So, for that matter, can some judges, and some surgeons, etc etc. We'll never clear it out now, but cops should be made to declare such allegiances.

Flankerl

Or perhaps some US cops have simply shot a few too many people lying on the ground, approaching them with a towel or simply didn't hear them due to their headphones.

freethinker44

Let me ask something, if those 99.5% of police were on the scene during this shooting, in your honest opinion, would they have pulled out their weapon and gunned down Officer Slager to protect the guy running away?