• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool, Awesome, and Interesting Facts

Eyes to See

Google Got its Name Wrong

I remember watching Cosmos on PBS when it came out when I was a kid. I loved reading Carl Sagan. Had all of his books, along with Isaac Asimov, etc. Was really big into science fiction fantasy back then too.

That's why when Google started I was wondering why they named their company the way they did. It happens they did name it after the number goog0l, they just got it wrong.

This takes me back, a goog0l is a 10 followed by 100 zeros. And then we have a googel plex which is a googol to the power of a googol. A 1 followed by a googol 0s. Which is 10^10^100.

Let Carl Sagan explain it:

So what are other cool, interesting, awesome facts?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member

I remember watching Cosmos on PBS when it came out when I was a kid. I loved reading Carl Sagan. Had all of his books, along with Isaac Asimov, etc. Was really big into science fiction fantasy back then too.

That's why when Google started I was wondering why they named their company the way they did. It happens they did name it after the number goog0l, they just got it wrong.

This takes me back, a goog0l is a 10 followed by 100 zeros. And then we have a googel plex which is a googol to the power of a googol. A 1 followed by a googol 0s. Which is 10^10^100.

Let Carl Sagan explain it:

So what are other cool, interesting, awesome facts?
I suppose you could open Encyclopaedia Britannica at A and start reading. ;)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Are you sure that it was "goog0l" and not googol?

And, yes, it was a spelling error.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We know so little about time that the scientific definition of time is "what clocks measure".

I LOVE a good mystery, and that one's really chunky.

(And it gets you thinking ─ how can you define the spatial dimensions without circularity?)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
A hundred years ago, the mathematician Godel discovered that systems of incredible complexity could be described using a single, enormously long integer.. This idea has been bouncing around in my head for the last six months or so.

So, when it's time for you to upgrade the OS on your computer, you are downloading a single, enormously long integer. It happens to be represented in binary, but it's still an integer.

Guess what else is a single, enormously long integer?

DNA !! Now DNA happens to be in base-4, but it's still a single, enormously long integer.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Long before Microsoft Windows (1980s), I had a PC operating system
which allowed concurrent processing, multiple users on dumb terminals,
networking with other computers, & multiple partitions (windows of a sort).
It needed little memory or processing power.
Of course, it (BOS) failed to catch on.....it's British.

Edit:
It failed in large part because it was expensive to buy, training was
expensive (involving flying someplace), & documentation was in "British
novelese" (a derogatory term for a style of technical writing....as used by
the Limey chartered accountant who wrote my software). DOS was
primitive crap in comparison, but it was cheap, & help was readily available.
I wonder if he ever sailed The Account Sea?

Ref....
Business Operating System (software) - Wikipedia

Last edited: