• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Converting to be on the safe side.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Personally, I think it is a brilliant idea. I too am doing something similar. However, I have chosen to practice Christian Fundamentalism, while secretly concealing my true agnostic sentiments, hence I have purchased a King James Version Bible and changed my voter registration to Republican.

Here are some other tips from one who has given a lot of thought on 'playin' safe':

1. First of all, when you pray to God on a regular basis, make sure you emphasize how much you really believe He is up there on some kind of throne watching over humanity, especially Amercians (all true Christians know we're his favorites regardless of what some people say about the so-called Jewish 'chosen people').

2. Do more ceremonial acts than everybody else. This'll throw HIm off. Apparently, God puts a lot of importance on kneeling and chanting and all the other stuff that makes one 'look' pious. I suggest loading up on some Christian 'Rock' CD's or old-timey gospel music too. Just show your collection to the St. Peter on judgment day; that'll get you in.

3. Finally, speaking of judgment day, don't look God straight in the eyes. He used to play poker when it was the real thing, not just a bunch of celebrities gettin' their kicks in Vegas cuttin' some hands of Texas Holdem. In other words, God can read a 'Tell' no matter how well you have it camoflaged. Just bow your head and keep walking steadily through those pearly gates with everybody else. Besides, heaven is a big place, or so they say, they're not going to notice a couple of stowaways like us.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hell Hell Hell
In that case...

- let your chances of Hell if you don't convert to Catholicism be X.
- let your chances of Hell if you do convert to Catholicism be Y.

It's reasonable to convert "on the safe side" if you can be reasonably sure that X > Y.

In order to be reasonably sure of this, you need to be able to reasonably make estimates of X and Y (or, I suppose, just the ratio or difference of the two).

What's your reasonable estimate of these values? Be sure to show your work. If you can't do it, then the answer to your question in the OP is no.

Tathagata

Freethinker
Should I start believing in Zeus, just to be on the safe side?
Should I start believing in Thor just to be on the safe side?
Should I start believing in Allah just to be on the safe side?

Really, there is no safe side. For all we know, Jesus could be in Hades for not believing in Zeus. (Which isn't too farfetched, because about a month ago, a lightning bolt destroyed a giant Jesus statue.)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Is it reasonable for an agnostic to convert to Catholism to be on the safe side? :facepalm:

You have to want to convert, in spirit. But you could try it if you if you want to.
But I am one Christian who is not convinced that all non-Christians go to some form of hell.

mhiggs

converting to catholicism to be safe would only leave you in danger of all the other gods that are out there....why would you think the Catholic god would be a safe choice?