• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversion to Karaite Judaism (Torah-Only Judaism)

After much research through religions and a passage through Islam and Christianniaty i came to the conclusion that Judaism is the truth, That Torah is the Most Holy Book and that The God of Israel is my God. I want to become a Karaite which is the the Torah Only Branch in Judaism( please no rabbinical vs karaite debate). I know i have to get circumsized (scares me a bit :$) but apart of that where can i find Karaite Prayer Books ? Is there anything else i need to do before conversion ? A Response from a Karaite would be appreciated Thanks and Shalom !

Talmai

Romanianseekingtruth,

Saying "Judaism is the truth" is a superficial statement. Even if Judaism really is the "true religion," you would not be required to follow it. If another ethnic religion such as Ásatrú were the true religion and the Poetic Edda had the most accurate description of the physical and spiritual worlds, there would be no harm if I did not follow it.

I advise that you ask yourself questions such as these:
"Do I really want to say Israel is my nation?"
"Do I really want to say Yisra'elim are my people?"
"Can I forever call a Jew my brother?"
"Can I forever call a Jewess my sister?"
"Do I want to dwell in Erets Yisra'el forever?"
"Do I want to speak Hebrew forever?"
"Do I want to obey Yehovah forever?"

Can you honestly and comfortably say "Yes" to each one of those questions?

Shalom.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Romanianseekingtruth,

I advise that you ask yourself questions such as these:
"Can I forever call a Jew my brother?"
"Can I forever call a Jewess my sister?"

Shalom.

I can't think of anyone I know who these days uses the term "Jewess". It seems to me a dated term. For me, the word "Jew" is perfectly fine for either male or female.

A recent discussion in Tablet - http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/204697/is-it-cool-to-say-jewess

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
"Yehovah" :rolleyes:

That's the belief among, at least some if not all, Karaites that the vowels used in the tetragrammaton are not those for Adonai and thus a reminder to substitute Adonai for it. They believe that the pronunciation of the tetragrammaton was not lost and the vowels are meant to produce, with the consonants of course, the actual true pronunciation.

Talmai

I can't think of anyone I know who these days uses the term "Jewess". It seems to me a dated term. For me, the word "Jew" is perfectly fine for either male or female.

A recent discussion in Tablet - http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/204697/is-it-cool-to-say-jewess

Thanks for pointing that out, RabbiO. I read old books and for that I am known to use dated and archaic words sometimes. I looked at the discussion in Tablet that you linked, and I learned my use of poetess is also silly! For now on I shall use Jew for both genders (and poet for both as well!). :)

Tumah

Veteran Member
That's the belief among, at least some if not all, Karaites that the vowels used in the tetragrammaton are not those for Adonai and thus a reminder to substitute Adonai for it. They believe that the pronunciation of the tetragrammaton was not lost and the vowels are meant to produce, with the consonants of course, the actual true pronunciation.
So what do they do when the Tetragrammaton has other vowels underneath it?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So what do they do when the Tetragrammaton has other vowels underneath it?
The vowel points were, of course, a much later addition. I find it interesting that ,,,

... the first-century Jewish historian and philosopher Josephus said that the sacred name of God consists of "four vowels".[20] - Wikipedia

Joel M. Hoffman's In the Beginning: A Short History of the Hebrew Language addresses this and summarizes his comments in his URJ article Language: The Hebrew Vowels That Changed the World.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The vowel points were, of course, a much later addition.
So are Karaites.

I find it interesting that ,,,

... the first-century Jewish historian and philosopher Josephus said that the sacred name of God consists of "four vowels".[20] - Wikipedia

Joel M. Hoffman's In the Beginning: A Short History of the Hebrew Language addresses this and summarizes his comments in his URJ article Language: The Hebrew Vowels That Changed the World.
Of course you know, that there are four letters only one of which could truly be called a vowel, the rest being consonants. Especially when you look at the context of that statement of Josephus
A mitre also of fine linen encompassed his head, which was tied by a blue ribbon, about which there was another golden crown, in which was engraven the sacred name [of God]: it consists of four vowels.
In context, he seems to be describing the Tetragrammaton that was inscribed on the head-plate as having four letters, not the pronunciation of it. And the vowels probably weren't written on the head-plate. The other option is that he's telling the reader how many vowels there are without saying how many letters there are?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So are Karaites.

Of course you know, that there are four letters only one of which could truly be called a vowel, the rest being consonants. Especially when you look at the context of that statement of Josephus
A mitre also of fine linen encompassed his head, which was tied by a blue ribbon, about which there was another golden crown, in which was engraven the sacred name [of God]: it consists of four vowels.
In context, he seems to be describing the Tetragrammaton that was inscribed on the head-plate as having four letters, not the pronunciation of it. And the vowels probably weren't written on the head-plate. The other option is that he's telling the reader how many vowels there are without saying how many letters there are?
Interesting point. I didn't consider that option. Thanks.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Anyone notice that the OP wrote this on August 1, having determined that Judaism is the truth and expressing the desire to become a Karaite and then, less than 3 weeks later, this past Friday, he posted on the Baha'i DIR that he is interested in becoming Baha'i?

Talmai

Anyone notice that the OP wrote this on August 1, having determined that Judaism is the truth and expressing the desire to become a Karaite and then, less than 3 weeks later, this past Friday, he posted on the Baha'i DIR that he is interested in becoming Baha'i?

It looks like he is on a quest to find the right religion as soon as possible. I think it would be better for one's reputation if one said something like, "I am interested in Judaism and I want to find out if it is something I can commit to for life." If one leaves three weeks later it would not look as if one is unstable. I'm sure that's what the OP meant.

I myself should admit that I am from a non-Jewish family and that I began following Karaism over two months ago. I first discovered it many years ago and even followed it back then. I had Karaite friends and acquaintances from Jewish families who warmly welcomed me and one of them suggested the name Talmai for me. But soon I left Karaism and anything to do with Judaism. My worldview was a typical, modern, Western one, so I saw many things in the Jewish Bible that made me feel uncomfortable as an "enlightened" person. I was also not exactly ready to forever say "goodbye" to pagan things. If I were asked what it was that really drew me to Judaism in the first place, I would say it was the Jewish people.

Shavua tov!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I myself should admit that I am from a non-Jewish family and that I began following Karaism over two months ago. I first discovered it many years ago and even followed it back then. I had Karaite friends and acquaintances from Jewish families who warmly welcomed me and one of them suggested the name Talmai for me. But soon I left Karaism and anything to do with Judaism.
Then please familiarize yourself with the following Forum Rule applicable to the Judaism DIR:

10. "Discuss Individual Religions" Forums, Same-Faith Debates, and "Only" Sections

The DIR sub-forums are for the express use of discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

• For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

• For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored green, non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions as well as knowledgeable comments. ...
There are other forums in which your contributions would be appropriate.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The other option is that he's telling the reader how many vowels there are without saying how many letters there are?
On second thought, how many vowels were available in the first century ce (other than the consonantal ones of the tetragrammaton itself) and where might Josephus have seen the tetragrammaton employing them?

Last edited: