• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

contradictions in the bible???

pray4me

I don't see who made that statement, but I agree with you. The Bible's real purpose is to not replace God's Power in our lives nor the Spirit's influence. It is simply a way of introducing us to how people over the ages have seen and interpreted God. The more I have read it, the more I see man as flawed and God as loving and perfect.

Let's be real: God gets blamed for some heinous acts, especially in the OT. No matter how we want to justify it, it just appears that there are two different Gods here: one of wrath and one of love. I have my life staked on Him being the God of Love.

If you look carefully you'll see the God of love even in the old testament. I think there are a few instances in biblical times when the people did what they wanted to do mistakenly thinking that it was what God wanted them to do, much like the early christians and their crusades.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If you look carefully you'll see the God of love even in the old testament. I think there are a few instances in biblical times when the people did what they wanted to do mistakenly thinking that it was what God wanted them to do, much like the early christians and their crusades.
Their world view was completely different than ours, therefore their perspective of God was completely different. It has less to do with human will than it does with cultural perspective.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
God didn't change. He has always been a loving God who desired mercy and not sacrifice. Our understanding and perception of him has changed over time: God is a constant.

rocka21

Brother Rock
What were Jesus's last words on the cross?

Who visited the tomb in the morning?

Did Jesus go to the centurion's house? or meet him on the road?

If there is more than one account, then one must be false? which one is true and which one is false? That means that one of the 4 gospel writers got it wrong or are lying?

sojourner

In general terms:
Whatever the theist happens to believe at that time.​
Thus you have as many theological truths as you have theists.
Thus you have as many theological perspectives as you have theologians. They all point us toward God ... which is what they are designed to do.

sojourner

What were Jesus's last words on the cross?

Who visited the tomb in the morning?

Did Jesus go to the centurion's house? or meet him on the road?

If there is more than one account, then one must be false? which one is true and which one is false? That means that one of the 4 gospel writers got it wrong or are lying?
Remember, this isn't history, it's theology. The different writers presented the events from differing perspectives, in such a manner as spoke to that perspective. Whatever the perspective, they all point us toward God. Since theology is more three-dimensional than one-dimensional, we need all perspectives, so we can see all aspects. Otherwise, our theology is flat, and presents us with a God who is flat.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Remember, this isn't history, it's theology. The different writers presented the events from differing perspectives, in such a manner as spoke to that perspective. Whatever the perspective, they all point us toward God. Since theology is more three-dimensional than one-dimensional, we need all perspectives, so we can see all aspects. Otherwise, our theology is flat, and presents us with a God who is flat.
More over, in the case of the NT, we are reading where Jesus' words are translated from Aramaic into Greek. There are BOUND to be a variance on the translations. Does that make them inferior or in error? It's a wonder that they match as closely as they do! They corroborate each other way more than they contradict each other.

rocka21

Brother Rock

yes, but we as christians say " John said, for god so loved the world" John 3:16.

Why is that the " gospel truth", but when John said who was at the tomb or Jesus last words, it ok for him to be wrong about that?

sojourner

yes, but we as christians say " John said, for god so loved the world" John 3:16.

Why is that the " gospel truth", but when John said who was at the tomb or Jesus last words, it ok for him to be wrong about that?
Because the events inform us of truth. The events are not truth, in and of themselves.