• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

contradictions in the bible???

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Yes, but suicide by what means?
My point is that there are two contradictory accounts in the NT of how Judas died, and I look forward with much anticipated amusement to your attempt to reconcile them or persuade us that there are not.

uss_bigd

Yes, but suicide by what means?
My point is that there are two contradictory accounts in the NT of how Judas died, and I look forward with much anticipated amusement to your attempt to reconcile them or persuade us that there are not.

persuasion means i would care if you reject or not. i don't

I just want to show things,

show the contradicting verses to claim to be contradicting and present your interpretation and supporting verses to prove your interepretation.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
persuasion means i would care if you reject or not. i don't
Well that's good, or you'd be failing.

I just want to show things,
O.K., show us how the Bible doesn't contradict itself, as you claimed.

show the contradicting verses to claim to be contradicting and present your interpretation and supporting verses to prove your interepretation.[/quote]

O.K., I thought you were the Bible expert, but I can help if you're not familiar. I really don't think any interpretation is necessary, as they are pretty plain:

So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. (Matthew 27:5)
With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. (Acts 1:18)

You may now start twisting, in an effort to support your statement that the Bible does not contain any contradictions.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
O.K., I thought you were the Bible expert, but I can help if you're not familiar. I really don't think any interpretation is necessary, as they are pretty plain:

So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. (Matthew 27:5)
(With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. (Acts 1:18)

You may now start twisting, in an effort to support your statement that the Bible does not contain any contradictions.
I suspect that there was a tree in the field Judas bought, and it was from this tree that he hanged himself. The weight of his body, however, broke the rope and he fell headlong. Since the tree was so tall, the fall was from a pretty great height. The impact caused his body to burst open, and all his intestines spilled out. No contradiction! :D

uss_bigd

Well that's good, or you'd be failing.

O.K., show us how the Bible doesn't contradict itself, as you claimed.

show the contradicting verses to claim to be contradicting and present your interpretation and supporting verses to prove your interepretation.

With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. (Acts 1:18)

You may now start twisting, in an effort to support your statement that the Bible does not contain any contradictions.[/quote]

I am working on my reply... please bear with me, thanks!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

I am working on my reply... please bear with me, thanks![/quote] Yes, this level of "interpretation" will require some major Googling.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I suspect that there was a tree in the field Judas bought, and it was from this tree that he hanged himself. The weight of his body, however, broke the rope and he fell headlong. Since the tree was so tall, the fall was from a pretty great height. The impact caused his body to burst open, and all his intestines spilled out. No contradiction! :D
I have just one question. Are you serious? Sometimes it's hard to tell on the internet.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
she wasn't. she was mocking me.
O.K., thanks. Because I've seen Christians say sillier things than that trying to reconcile these two obviously contradictory statements. Any honest person at this point would just say, "Oh, thanks, I was mistaken. I see that there are at least two contradictory statements in the Bible." Which is really not bad, if you think about it. Instead some Christians twist themselves into pretzels trying to come up with a scenario that could involve both hanging and falling, two activities that are obviously mutually exclusive.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
*uss goes away to visit some Christian apologetic websites and see what they've come up with.*

Uh, uss, if they weren't obviously contradictory, wouldn't that be unnecessary? If you have to invent your own interpretation that differs significantly from the obvious meaning, it's not the Bible is it? It's just uss.

You mean you weren't familiar with these contradictory passages, uss?

Why is it that atheists know the Bible better than Christians? Is it because the more familiar you become with it, the less likely you are to believe it?

uss_bigd

*uss goes away to visit some Christian apologetic websites and see what they've come up with.*

Uh, uss, if they weren't obviously contradictory, wouldn't that be unnecessary? If you have to invent your own interpretation that differs significantly from the obvious meaning, it's not the Bible is it? It's just uss.

You mean you weren't familiar with these contradictory passages, uss?

Why is it that atheists know the Bible better than Christians? Is it because the more familiar you become with it, the less likely you are to believe it?

Objection your honor; she is making conclusions!!!!

That is why i am hesistant exchanging posts with you, all you do is badge the witness!

Why can't you wait for my reply? are you scared? if not shut up for a moment and wait for my reply.

thank you!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I have just one question. Are you serious? Sometimes it's hard to tell on the internet.
No, I wasn't serious in the slightest. Remember it was me who started this whole fiasco. I can't believe how out of control it's become. With uss_bigd running around in circles trying desperately to come of as having the intelligence and knowledge of a six year old, I just had to throw that out there, thinking he might pick up on it and come to the same conclusion.

uss_bigd

No, I wasn't serious in the slightest. Remember it was me who started this whole fiasco. I can't believe how out of control it's become. With uss_bigd running around in circles trying desperately to come of as having the intelligence and knowledge of a six year old, I just had to throw that out there, thinking he might pick up on it and come to the same conclusion.

Bash my person, because you can't rebuke what i post. :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Here is the real issue: People with little to no faith in the POWER of God to work through imperfection and who also want to believe in Christianity have invented the notion that somehow the Bible should have no errors. That goes COMPLETELY against everything God has ever done and NO ONE has produced a single scripture that supports this silly concept!

Let's look at some salient facts and form them into a logical conclusion:
  1. Only GOD is perfect and all powerful.
  2. No man or woman is perfect.
  3. God has chosen to work through these imperfect men and women.
  4. God has inspired them to right a blog of their efforts to find him. IE, they are written from a human perspective, with human fingers and various biases.
  5. Ergo: the blogs are as full of error as the imperfect people who wrote them.
Those who argue AGAINST this scenario are saying that God is not powerful enough to work through error. A quick look into the life of Saul/Paul will show you what can be done through the "chief of sinners". When we are weak (and relying on God) then we are STRONG. Stop trying to emasculate a powerful God. Let him work as he always does: through stupid, bigoted and ignorant people just like me.

OK, OK... most of you aren't nearly as stupid, bigoted or as ignorant as I am. God can probably do more with you than with me then.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Here is the real issue: People with little to no faith in the POWER of God to work through imperfection and who also want to believe in Christianity have invented the notion that somehow the Bible should have no errors. That goes COMPLETELY against everything God has ever done and NO ONE has produced a single scripture that supports this silly concept!

4. God has inspired them to right a blog of their efforts to find him. IE, they are written from a human perspective, with human fingers and various biases.
Those who argue AGAINST this scenario are saying that God is not powerful enough to work through error. A quick look into the life of Saul/Paul will show you what can be done through the "chief of sinners". When we are weak (and relying on God) then we are STRONG. Stop trying to emasculate a powerful God. Let him work as he always does: through stupid, bigoted and ignorant people just like me.

OK, OK... most of you aren't nearly as stupid, bigoted or as ignorant as I am. God can probably do more with you than with me then.

Great post!

pray4me

Exactly, the bible cannot be inerrent since the men who wrote it and translated it weren't and aren't. I disagree with the statement above that the more familiar you become with the bible the less likely you are to believe it. I'm very familiar with the bible, I've read it from cover to cover. I think the more you try to use your own understanding (Proverbs3:5) the more you mess things up. We are all imperfect, all except him. No book written by man and interpretted by man is going to be error free.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I disagree with the statement above that the more familiar you become with the bible the less likely you are to believe it.
I don't see who made that statement, but I agree with you. The Bible's real purpose is to not replace God's Power in our lives nor the Spirit's influence. It is simply a way of introducing us to how people over the ages have seen and interpreted God. The more I have read it, the more I see man as flawed and God as loving and perfect.

Let's be real: God gets blamed for some heinous acts, especially in the OT. No matter how we want to justify it, it just appears that there are two different Gods here: one of wrath and one of love. I have my life staked on Him being the God of Love.