• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Contradiction: Who killed Goliath?

SA Huguenot

I found this nice contradiction in the Sceptics Annotated Bible website showing us that a contradiction exists between verses 1 Sam 17: 23,50 and 2 Sam 21: 19. They even elaborate with a remark that the Bible translators conveniently inserted the words "brother of Goliath" to circumvent this contradiction in 2 Samuel 21:19.
Who killed Goliath?
The exact "Contradiction is also on the notes of Shabir Ali and the IPCI's publications to assist Muslims to ask Christians questions about this error.
The accusation is as follow.
Who killed Goliath?
(a) David (1 Samuel 17:23, 50).
(b) Elhanan (2 Samuel 21:19).

As I learned not to trust anyone on any remarks they make about the Bible, I read the passages for myself. I actually loved the small but intense information I received from discovering facts I never previously knew. Just think, David and Goliath!
Perhaps one of the best known stories in the Bible. Who would have thought that one will learn much more detail never known before. Remember...David picked up 5 stones. The question arrives, why 5? Did he think he will miss?
Answer:
When I read 1 Sam 17, I learned that David was a small boy when he killed Goliath. However, in 2 Sam 21:19, David was becomming King and perhaps in his 40's
2 Samuel 21:15 to 21 gives us a detailed list of 4 more giants, and the men of David who killed them.
  1. Ishbibenob was killed by Abishai
  2. Saph was killed by Sibbechai
  3. Goliath was killed by Elhanan
  4. A long man with 12 fingers and 12 toes was killed by Johnatan.
And then this verse!
Samuel 21:22 These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.
These four giants were the children of another giant called Goliath. David killed this “father” Goliath when he was still a boy.
The Goliath referred to in 2 Samuel 21:19 had the same name as his father and must have been the eldest amongst his brothers.

And, the 5 stones David picked up to enter into battle with Goliath when he was still a boy?
Yes, one for the father, and four more for his sons. David waited for them to attack, knowing he needed one stone each!

Now, I wonder how many people knew about Goliath having 4 sons.
I would love you to critique my answer if possible.
Greetings.

sooda

Veteran Member
I found this nice contradiction in the Sceptics Annotated Bible website showing us that a contradiction exists between verses 1 Sam 17: 23,50 and 2 Sam 21: 19. They even elaborate with a remark that the Bible translators conveniently inserted the words "brother of Goliath" to circumvent this contradiction in 2 Samuel 21:19.
Who killed Goliath?
The exact "Contradiction is also on the notes of Shabir Ali and the IPCI's publications to assist Muslims to ask Christians questions about this error.
Who killed Goliath?

As I learned not to trust anyone on any remarks they make about the Bible, I read the passages for myself. I actually loved the small but intense information I received from discovering facts I never previously knew. Just think, David and Goliath!
Perhaps one of the best known stories in the Bible. Who would have thought that one will learn much more detail never known before. Remember...David picked up 5 stones. The question arrives, why 5? Did he think he will miss?
Answer:
When I read 1 Sam 17, I learned that David was a small boy when he killed Goliath. However, in 2 Sam 21:19, David was becomming King and perhaps in his 40's
2 Samuel 21:15 to 21 gives us a detailed list of 4 more giants, and the men of David who killed them.
And then this verse!
Samuel 21:22 These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.
These four giants were the children of another giant called Goliath. David killed this “father” Goliath when he was still a boy.
The Goliath referred to in 2 Samuel 21:19 had the same name as his father and must have been the eldest amongst his brothers.

And, the 5 stones David picked up to enter into battle with Goliath when he was still a boy?
Yes, one for the father, and four more for his sons. David waited for them to attack, knowing he needed one stone each!

Greetings.

David killed Goliath. Elhanan later killed Goliath’s brother. Further, the context of 2 Samuel 21:19 makes it clear that it is describing an entirely separate event from David’s slaying of Goliath in 1 Samuel 17:50. Second Samuel 21:11–14 puts the passage after the death of Saul, who was alive when David killed Goliath (1 Samuel 17:31–39, 55–58).

leov

Who killed Goliath?
Who killed Goliath?

Answer:
And then this verse!

Greetings.
2 Samuel 21:19 Lexicon: There was war with the Philistines again at Gob, and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.
Names in this text are epithet definition - Bing

Who killed Goliath?
Who killed Goliath?

Answer:
And then this verse!

Greetings.

Many scholars agree and refer to 1 Chronicles 20:5 as a supporting/correct scripture to the account at 2 Samuel 21:19. It was likely that a copyist error was made; or, there were two “Goliaths” because the men from Rephaim were taller than the average in other regions.