• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Consumer Choices

lunamoth

Will to love
Hi All,

Please share your knowledge! What consumer choices can we make to ease the numerous problems that plague our economy and environment (local and global).

Thank you!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Make do with less.
Get rid of clutter.
Staycations.
Buy products which last & you enjoy.
Bike & walk more.
More fresh food, & less fast food.
Eat out less, but eat really well when you do.
And of course......bacon.

lunamoth

Will to love
More fresh food, & less fast food.
Is this always the best choice for consumers who wish to lower their impact on the environment? Aren't most fresh foods refrigerated and shipped long distances? Does this only help if you are eating locally grown foods?

Not arguing - just asking because I really would like to know the balance between the cost of shipping fresh foods vs. canned (or freeze-dried?) foods.

Aren't frozen veggies actually healthier, if not as appetizing?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is this always the best choice for consumers who wish to lower their impact on the environment? Aren't most fresh foods refrigerated and shipped long distances? Does this only help if you are eating locally grown foods?
Not arguing - just asking because I really would like to know the balance between the cost of shipping fresh foods vs. canned (or freeze-dried?) foods.
Aren't frozen veggies actually healthier, if not as appetizing?
Shipping long distances can be very efficient, eg, ship, train. With fresh food, we have less packaging, freshy goodness, & no BPAs.
You're right to question this though....I don't know what I'm talking about.

lunamoth

Will to love
Shipping long distances can be very efficient, eg, ship, train. With fresh food, we have less packaging, freshy goodness, & no BPAs.
You're right to question this though....I don't know what I'm talking about.

Do you think this kind of information should be supplied for all purchases so consumers could make informed choices?

Feasible? Why or why not?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi All,

Please share your knowledge! What consumer choices can we make to ease the numerous problems that plague our economy and environment (local and global).

Thank you!
I try to buy fairtrade if I can
I used to buy organic but I've gone off it.

lunamoth

Will to love
So, my local Borders is going out of business. I just look at my Kindle and understand why.

Is the move toward eEntertainment better or worse for the environment? For the economy? For civilization?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
What was your motivation for buying organic?

In the beginning, around here anyway, organic used to = local produce grown without chemicals by regular farmers.

It doesn't mean that anymore so I don't bother.
More, the acres of plastic used to keep weeds away from organic crops actively put me off it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, my local Borders is going out of business. I just look at my Kindle and understand why.

Is the move toward eEntertainment better or worse for the environment? For the economy? For civilization?
I'm a big fan of such efficient delivery of info & ephemera.
Still, I understand the appeal of newspapers & bound books.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Walk/ride a bike/bus.

Buy used merchandise from thrift stores, flea markets, swap meets, garage sales, craigslist, ebay, the classified ads, ....

Grow edible plants in your yard and garden rather than flowers or shrubs.

Start or become involved in a community garden project.

Use hand tools rather than power tools.

Buy in bulk (cuts down on packaging).

Get involved in more outdoor activities and less indoor.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Is the move toward eEntertainment better or worse for the environment?

Better: eliminates the need for deforestation, shipping, distribution. Also generates less waste byproducts.

For the economy?

Not sure: all of the above definitely eliminates jobs.

For civilization?

I think it's a mixed bag: having instant access to entertainment/information makes education more available on the one hand, but it also eliminates the need for a lot of social interactions on the other.