• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative Atheists

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Atheists are generally lefty, wishy-washy Liberals. Just wondering if there were any out there that consider themselves Conservative like myself?

I used to be quite conservative. In some ways I still am. Are these conservative values?

Limited government. Strong defense. Don't get entangled in foreign military conflicts. Protect the environment. Protect the public welfare and the little guy. Stick to the Constitution. Family values. "Christian" values. Freedom of speech, press, religion. Break up the giant trusts and monopolies. Support democracy in the world.

I just feel that the people in the U.S. who call themselves conservatives, generally, do not actually support any of these things.

Is the Patriot Act limited government, or sticking to the Constitution?
Were we focusing on defense, or offense over the last 8 years?
Is it "limited government" to have more prisoners than China (for goodness' sake)?
Is it free trade to allow corporations to become "too big to fail"?
Is it looking out for the little guy to meet with the captains of industry and pass the legislation they want, not the legislation most Americans want?
Is it "family values" to attack gay people and their families?
Is it freedom of press to deny press access to any wounded soldiers?
Is it sticking to the Constitution (and treaties with the same weight as the Constitution) to have unfettered executive power to arrest and torture Americans and foreigners, to hold them for years on foreign soil without even a fair trial?

Is it supporting democracy when we give billions of dollars to support tyrannies in Egypt, Pakistan, Central and South America, support the overthrow of democracy in Iran, Venezeula, Honduras?

Avoid foreign colonial wars in Iraq, Vietnam, etc.?

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I used to be quite conservative. In some ways I still am. Are these conservative values?

Limited government. Strong defense. Don't get entangled in foreign military conflicts. Protect the environment. Protect the public welfare and the little guy. Stick to the Constitution. Family values. "Christian" values. Freedom of speech, press, religion. Break up the giant trusts and monopolies. Support democracy in the world.

I just feel that the people in the U.S. who call themselves conservatives, generally, do not actually support any of these things.

Is the Patriot Act limited government, or sticking to the Constitution?
Were we focusing on defense, or offense over the last 8 years?
Is it "limited government" to have more prisoners than China (for goodness' sake)?
Is it free trade to allow corporations to become "too big to fail"?
Is it looking out for the little guy to meet with the captains of industry and pass the legislation they want, not the legislation most Americans want?
Is it "family values" to attack gay people and their families?
Is it freedom of press to deny press access to any wounded soldiers?
Is it sticking to the Constitution (and treaties with the same weight as the Constitution) to have unfettered executive power to arrest and torture Americans and foreigners, to hold them for years on foreign soil without even a fair trial?

Is it supporting democracy when we give billions of dollars to support tyrannies in Egypt, Pakistan, Central and South America, support the overthrow of democracy in Iran, Venezeula, Honduras?

Avoid foreign colonial wars in Iraq, Vietnam, etc.?

I agree 100% with all those values, depending on what exactly you mean by "Christian values".

Good point, how about "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's", or "Do unto others...." or "Judge not..."?

Do you see what I mean, though? I like those values. People who say they are "conservative" (in the U.S. anyway) do not, apparently.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Good point, how about "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's", or "Do unto others...." or "Judge not..."?

Do you see what I mean, though? I like those values. People who say they are "conservative" (in the U.S. anyway) do not, apparently.

I agree with those values, then. But I wouldn't label them as "Christian" as they exist in virtually every culture and religion.