• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservative Atheists?

kittyqueen

Lone Wolf
I know some atheists that are conservative(against gay marriage, equal rights to both genders, anti-transexuality, etc) and I'm very confused. If there is just no religion telling you that this or that is right, then what would make an atheist be conservative? I, at least, can't find any reason to think like that without religious dogma. I'm sorry if I'm offending someone. I just want to understand.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I know some atheists that are conservative(against gay marriage, equal rights to both genders, anti-transexuality, etc) and I'm very confused. If there is just no religion telling you that this or that is right, then what would make an atheist be conservative? I, at least, can't find any reason to think like that without religious dogma. I'm sorry if I'm offending someone. I just want to understand.

It likely comes down to family values and respecting tradition.
There could also be an education issue, but not every atheist is exactly a genius or was taught what common humanism is.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Whether someone is liberal or conservative might not be as rational a decision as we think. There have been several scientific studies in recent years, all of which support the notion that our brains are at least somewhat wired to turn out conservative or liberal. Conservative brains tend to perceive more and greater threats than do liberal brains. Conservatives are naturally more fearful, liberals are naturally less fearful. Or at least current science would have it so.

Aquitaine

Bigotry and narrow-mindedness is not an exclusive product of religion alone.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think I know any atheists who are conservative (in the social sense).
So I don't know what would motivate them.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Being Conservative is not about religion, it's about respecting tradition and resisting the radical.

kittyqueen

Lone Wolf
It likely comes down to family values and respecting tradition.
There could also be an education issue, but not every atheist is exactly a genius or was taught what common humanism is.
I've met some that were intelectuals and a few that I do not consider to have too much scientific knowledge are liberals.

Whether someone is liberal or conservative might not be as rational a decision as we think. There have been several scientific studies in recent years, all of which support the notion that our brains are at least somewhat wired to turn out conservative or liberal. Conservative brains tend to perceive more and greater threats than do liberal brains. Conservatives are naturally more fearful, liberals are naturally less fearful. Or at least current science would have it so.
It makes sense... Maybe they were afrad of going against the tradition? It is still weird because you need to have a lot of courage to not believe in anything and be open to anyone about it.

Bigotry and narrow-mindedness is not an exclusive product of religion alone.
Sorry, my bad. What might be the cause of it, then?

I don't think I know any atheists who are conservative (in the social sense).
So I don't know what would motivate them.
I see. It's pretty hard to find them, but conservative atheists do exist.

Being Conservative is not about religion, it's about respecting tradition and resisting the radical.
Probably. I just wanted to know what might make someone have more respect for tradition than human rights.

kittyqueen

Lone Wolf
We should find some, & interrogate them.
I'll get a soft cushion & the comfy chair.
One of them just said that crossdressing shouldn't be encouraged because it made the person look ridiculous and that trans people should get professional help. He also invalidated the gender identity thing. Really, I was shocked after hearing that from another atheist and I decided to do some research. It really seems like I thought bad for religious people, equating them with prejudices.

kittyqueen

Lone Wolf
I don't see human rights standing in contrast to tradition.
Depending on the tradition, it does. Divorce, gay marriage and gender transition go against the "until death do us apart", man and female will have to marry with the opposite sex and the gender roles given to the children based on their sex. They are traditions and human rights that go against each other.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Depending on the tradition, it does. Divorce, gay marriage and gender transition go against the "until death do us apart", man and female will have to marry with the opposite sex and the gender roles given to the children based on their sex. They are traditions and human rights that go against each other.
That depends on how you are raised, and the values your local culture holds.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I'm Atheist Agnostic and consider myself conservative very much when it comes to sex. So personally I have issues with gays and transsexuals but I treat them as personal beliefs and do not feel the government should have any say in sexual matters and believe they deserve the same rights as I have.

In general public sexual displays makes me very uncomfortable even between heterosexuals.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One of them just said that crossdressing shouldn't be encouraged because it made the person look ridiculous and that trans people should get professional help. He also invalidated the gender identity thing. Really, I was shocked after hearing that from another atheist and I decided to do some research. It really seems like I thought bad for religious people, equating them with prejudices.
I can see not encouraging cross dressing.....I'd prefer that it be neither discouraged nor encouraged.
And trans people should get professional help. It's a very difficult condition, & help can be beneficial.

kittyqueen

Lone Wolf
But they can also not go against each other, depending on your culture.
Exactly.

I'm Atheist Agnostic and consider myself conservative very much when it comes to sex. So personally I have issues with gays and transsexuals but I treat them as personal beliefs and do not feel the government should have any say in sexual matters and believe they deserve the same rights as I have.

In general public sexual displays makes me very uncomfortable even between heterosexuals.
Oh, I see. I also disagree with sexual displays in oublic, but I strongly believe that if gays aren't allowed to show affection, neither should straight people have. By the way, have you done research on transexuality? It's a pretty nasty condition if left untreated(not letting the person transition).

I can see not encouraging cross dressing.....I'd prefer that it be neither discouraged nor encouraged.
And trans people should get professional help. It's a very difficult condition, & help can be beneficial.
When I said that about the professional help, I meant, making the person just stop being trans with theraphy which I doubt that could happen.

Most atheists who are considered conservative are more so in a fiscal sense.
I was talking about a more extreme conservative kind.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I said that about the professional help, I meant, making the person just stop being trans with theraphy which I doubt that could happen.
Oh, dear.....that is a view in need of correction.
But it might be due to misunderstanding rather than to conservative values.

That's not how I define conservatism. (That seems to be the caricature used by liberals when describing conservatives.) I define conservativism as small government and low taxes, and liberalism as big government and high taxes. All of the Founding Fathers were "right wing extremists" by modern liberals' standards, and most of them were deists and atheists.