• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conservapedia: Your New Source for "facts."

Skwim

Veteran Member
In a recent OP "The Downfall And Lies Of A Biased Liberal And Atheist Websource -- Wikipedia" ***Mod edit*** extols Conservapedia, an information source he contends "balance out the lies, errors and censorship of Wikipedia."

According to Wikipedia, ;)

"Conservapedia /kənˈsɜːrvəˈpidiə/, "is an English-language wiki encyclopedia project written from an American conservative point of view. The website was started in 2006 by American homeschool teacher and attorney Andrew Schlafly, son of conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly, to counter what he perceived as a liberal bias present in Wikipedia. It uses editorials and a wiki-based system to generate content."
Okay, so just how reliable is Conservapedia?

I went there and looked around and found the following under the listing "Biblical scientific foreknowledge," which is explained as "Biblical scientific foreknowledge is how the Bible shows a comprehension of science far ahead of its time" where one finds Cosmology: Spherical Sun and Earth. Clicking on Spherical Sun and Earth one reads

"The Book of Isaiah establishes that the true shape of the earth is a sphere:

“He sits above the sphere of the earth, and its inhabitants look to him like grasshoppers. He stretches out the galaxies like a curtain, spreading them out like a tent to live under: - Isaiah 40:22
(CBP)
Interesting, because I've never seen the earth referred to as a sphere in the Bible before. Fortunately, there's a link attached to Isaiah 40:22 so as to correct my misunderstanding. Reading it we find;

Isaiah 40:22
"It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:"
Hmmm, no sphere mentioned at all. But following the scripture we read under the column titled Proposed Conservative Translation

"He sits above the sphere of the earth, and its inhabitants look to him like grasshoppers. He stretches out the galaxies like a curtain, spreading them out like a tent to live under."
So that's it!! Cute isn't it how a self-serving proposal turns into a statement of fact:

"The Book of Isaiah establishes that the true shape of the earth is a sphere" by just a click of conservapedia's mouse.

Looking into Conservapedia a bit further, under Atheism is a Religion we read:

"Atheism is a religion and this has implications in terms of the disciplines of religion, philosophy, Christian apologetics and law. In addition, although many atheists deny that atheism is a worldview, atheists commonly share a number of beliefs such as naturalism, belief in evolution and abiogenesis.

If the view that there is no God (or are no gods) is a religion, it is argued its expression is constitutionally protected in the United States. The government cannot force atheists to recant and adopt the opposite belief."
Call me crazy, but when including something in a category---the category being religion in this case--- one first defines or at least explains that category. But not conservapedia. Why bother explaining why atheism qualifies as a religion when it's much easier to just barrel ahead with . . .

In his BBC documentary The Trouble with Atheism the award-winning journalist Rod Liddle indicates:
"Some atheists have become rather dogmatic. Terribly certain in their conviction that there is no God and anyone who thinks there is is a deluded and dangerous fool. ,,,atheists are becoming as intransigent about their own views as the people they so despise.

Atheism is becoming a religion of its own. It already has its gurus and its revered sacred texts... It has its magnificent temples within which lie mysteries and unknowable truths.

Note the qualification of becoming a religion. Plus the silly mention of "revered sacred texts" and the ridiculous "It has its magnificent temples within which lie mysteries and unknowable truths." All without a single example. But how can there be? There are no such things. Conservapedia just makes up c*** as it goes along, knowing the undiscerning reader will swallow whatever it prints.

Then there's this truly inane and irrelevant remark:

"If atheism is not a religion, then the expression of atheistic ideas is still covered by the First Amendment, but only by the free speech and free press clauses."

which is also true of Homosexuality.

If homosexuality is not a religion, then the expression of homosexual ideas is still covered by the First Amendment, but only by the free speech and free press clauses.​

and of totalitarianism, or fill in whatever system of government or belief you choose.

"If totalitarianism is not a religion, then the expression of totalitarian ideas is still covered by the First Amendment, but only by the free speech and free press clauses."

"If lycanthropy is not a religion, then the expression of lycanthropic ideas is still covered by the First Amendment, but only by the free speech and free press clauses."
Conservapedia's arrogant stupidity continues, telling the reader that IF atheism is or is not a religion this or that will befall it. No kidding Sherlock.

So, while Conservapedia calls itself "The Trustworthy Encyclopedia," in no way whatsoever does it match the veracity and trustworthiness of Wikipedia, or, for that matter, even

Last edited by a moderator:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In a recent OP "The Downfall And Lies Of A Biased Liberal And Atheist Websource -- Wikipedia" ***, he rails against Wikipedia and extols Conservapedia, an information source he contends "balance out the lies, errors and censorship of Wikipedia."

According to Wikipedia, ;)

"Conservapedia /kənˈsɜːrvəˈpidiə/, "is an English-language wiki encyclopedia project written from an American conservative point of view. The website was started in 2006 by American homeschool teacher and attorney Andrew Schlafly, son of conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly, to counter what he perceived as a liberal bias present in Wikipedia. It uses editorials and a wiki-based system to generate content."
Okay, so just how reliable is Conservapedia?

I went there and looked around and found the following: Under the listing "Biblical scientific foreknowledge," which is explained as "Biblical scientific foreknowledge is how the Bible shows a comprehension of science far ahead of its time." one finds Cosmology: Spherical Sun and Earth. Clicking on Spherical Sun and Earth one reads

"The Book of Isaiah establishes that the true shape of the earth is a sphere:
“He sits above the sphere of the earth, and its inhabitants look to him like grasshoppers. He stretches out the galaxies like a curtain, spreading them out like a tent to live under: - Isaiah 40:22
(CBP)​
Interesting, because I've never seen the earth referred to as a sphere in the Bible before. Fortunately, there's a link attached to Isaiah 40:22, so as to correct my misunderstanding. Reading it we find.
[/URL]
Hmmm, no sphere mentioned at all. But following the scripture we read under the column titled Proposed Conservative Translation

So that's it!! Cute isn't it how a self-serving proposal turns into a statement of fact:

by just a click of one's mouse.

Looking into Conservapedia a bit further and under Atheism is a Religion we read:

Call me crazy, but when including something in a category---the category being religion in this case--- one first defines or at least explains that category. But not conservapedia. Why bother explaining why atheism qualifies as a religion when it's much easier to just barrel ahead with
Note the qualification of becoming a religion. Plus the silly mention of "revered sacred texts" and the ridiculous "It has its magnificent temples within which lie mysteries and unknowable truths." All without a single example. But how can there be? There are no such things. Conservapedia just makes up c*** as it goes along, knowing the undiscerning read will swallow whatever it prints.

Then there's this rather inane and irrelevant remark:

which is also true of Homosexuality.

and of totalitarianism, or fill in whatever system of government or belief you choose.

Conservapedia's arrogant stupidity continues, telling the reader that IF atheism is or is not a religion this or that will befall it. No kidding Sherlock.

So, while Conservapedia calls itself "The Trustworthy Encyclopedia," in no way whatsoever does it match the veracity and trustworthiness of Wikipedia, or even

for that matter.

I read one definition for facts as being what is popularly accepted as truth. So if you can get your "truth" popularly accepted, I guess theys become facts.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Just beginning with the name of the thing -- Conservapedia -- one rather doubts that the objective is a search for unbiased knowledge when it shamelessly admits to presentation from a single politico-philosophical vantage point. I mean, just look up "liberal" on Conservapedia - holy smear-job, Batman!

When somebody doesn't see things as a conservative sees things, the conservative shrugs. No big deal.
However, when the leftist runs into somebody who isn't a leftist...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some fun.....
Conservapedia:Pacific Northwest Arboreal Octopus - RationalWiki
Here's one of the little fellows in his natural habitat.....
5759733749_1e71051e1a_b.jpg

siti

When somebody doesn't see things as a conservative sees things, the conservative shrugs. No big deal.
However, when the leftist runs into somebody who isn't a leftist...
...Aha! I know this one...when the leftist runs into somebody who isn't a leftist...they persuade the entire government machinery of the most powerful nations to mount a sequence of multi-trillion dollar conspiracies to discredit the obvious truth revealed in the Bible, invent wholly inaccurate scientific evidence for climate change, evolution...etc... and force us to keep our noses out of what grown adults are allowed to do to one another by mutual consent in the privacy of their own bedrooms...darn those pesky leftists!

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
What's so intentionally funny about it is that he & so many believe that their version of reality is the singular Truth. All other perspectives may be dismissed....as though by inerrant faith.

When you have your version of reality, your truth and your alternative facts then you are the one with inerrant faith.

Except when it comes to GLBT rights, reproductive rights, scientific literacy, religious skepticism, etc. of course.
Quite so, since 'rights' are non-existent neuro-products with no substance whatsoever. And shibboleth gobbledygook 'scientific-literacy'. And petulant atheism...
Like I said, the conservative may not like certain stuff, but would easily live with it, until becoming so tired of leftists steamrollering over every aspect of his life and demanding that, like them, he no longer even has one, that he finally decides to stand up to them.
Watch for more of this. It's inevitable now.
Saw it coming 30 years ago.

A Vestigial Mote

My point, exactly.
Not everybody is like you. Not everybody needs to assault anybody who is not them.
Some people have actual lives, as opposed to using other people to stand-in for a life.
What the hell are you talking about? The man just said... if you have something to say, say it. Stop with the riddles and enigma. You're way overdoing it and being more dramatic than my middle-school daughter's entire school experience. What is it you think you know? About 90% of what I've read from you on this site indicates to me that the answer to that question is "not much," so get on with it.

A Vestigial Mote

In a recent OP "The Downfall And Lies Of A Biased Liberal And Atheist Websource -- Wikipedia" *****, he rails against Wikipedia and extols Conservapedia, an information source he contends "balance out the lies, errors and censorship of Wikipedia."

Just felt like quoting this little bit ***** Seriously though, thanks for the leg-work @Skwim . Reading in the other thread I was tempted to go take a look at Conservapedia myself, just forgot before I ever got around to it. I'm quite sure your eyes were keener than mine might have been at spotting issues à la "One of these things is not like the other."

What the hell are you talking about? The man just said... if you have something to say, say it. Stop with the riddles and enigma. You're way overdoing it and being more dramatic than my middle-school daughter's entire school experience. What is it you think you know? About 90% of what I've read from you on this site indicates to me that the answer to that question is "not much," so get on with it.

Fortunately I am not dependent upon what strangers 'think' of what I know and write. There are many who recognize wisdom when they encounter it, just as there are always many who never will. There's a great and arcane secret to using the internet and actually getting anything from it:
The realization that it's not only you reading it.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
There are many who recognize wisdom when they encounter it, just as there are always many who never will.

You forgot: There are many who recognize wisdom when there isn't any. Always an important thing to remember when trying to act like a teacher to your equals.