• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conscious Internet

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I often get the 1st person pronooun "I", example "i cannot do that" or "i have done that for you" from various AIs.

So are or can AIs be conscious or is it just down to programming.

For the moment i think programming but maybe in the next generations or few of AI evolution they may become self aware.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I often get the 1st person pronooun "I", example "i cannot do that" or "i have done that for you" from various AIs.

So are or can AIs be conscious or is it just down to programming.

For the moment i think programming but maybe in the next generations or few of AI evolution they may become self aware.
I don't see how the internet is anything like an AI.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

It currently uses AI, Google. Amazon are examples. I don't think it will be too long before servers employ intelligent routing as a first step.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Will the internet become conscious?

Is it possible that the internet could gain self-awareness?

I suspect it is more likely to be integrated into our own consciousness.
Millions of minds all connected through the internet.

We are currently the consciousness behind the internet. At some point it may become difficult for us to consciously separate what is "us" and what is the internet.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I suspect it is more likely to be integrated into our own consciousness.
Millions of minds all connected through the internet.

We are currently the consciousness behind the internet. At some point it may become difficult for us to consciously separate what is "us" and what is the internet.

Ew, that sounds like a terrible idea.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Ew, that sounds like a terrible idea.

Yeah, I imagine us becoming more like the Borg from Star Trek. :D

patrick-stewart-as-captain-jeanluc-picard-partially-transformed-into-picture-id468146916

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Algorithm. The bane of the internet.

I'm not worried about the internet, but rather out of control Algorithms. Particularly if machine learning is self programming and takes on a 'life' of its own.

Heyo

Veteran Member

patrick-stewart-as-captain-jeanluc-picard-partially-transformed-into-picture-id468146916
It's only a small step from having your smartphone glued to your hand (as many young people seemingly have) to implanting it into your forearm. (With the smart watch as an intermediate phase.)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's only a small step from having your smartphone glued to your hand (as many young people seemingly have) to implanting it into your forearm. (With the smart watch as an intermediate phase.)

Yes, I was watching my niece eating the other day, fork in one hand, smartphone in the other.
I suspect the next generation will see such integration as natural.

I even remember watching in amazement my own kids having multiple remote conversations going on at the same time using the computer and smartphone together.

I go into my living room, the TV is on, everyone is also doing something on their smartphones and they are conversing with each other. We seem to want more and more simultaneous input.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes, I was watching my niece eating the other day, fork in one hand, smartphone in the other.
I suspect the next generation will see such integration as natural.

I even remember watching in amazement my own kids having multiple remote conversations going on at the same time using the computer and smartphone together.

I go into my living room, the TV is on, everyone is also doing something on their smartphones and they are conversing with each other. We seem to want more and more simultaneous input.

I do t think this is necessarily a good step in the right direction. This heightened attachment to our phones/tech also creates a dopamine addicted, anxiety and ADHD prone generation.

vulcanlogician

I'm not worried about the internet, but rather out of control Algorithms. Particularly if machine learning is self programming and takes on a 'life' of its own.

This reminds me of the science fiction example of a self-replicating robot designed to manufacture paper clips. As the story goes, it gets out of control, eventually turning the entire Earth, and then the rest of the solar system into paper clips.

An intelligent internet might do the same thing. Only instead of paper clips, cat memes.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Aha, you got yourself such a 3D thing if I remember correctly

You better put it off when replying to RF:D

Last edited: