• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations to the British People

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Just noting this thread here, too, which shows the effect of EU speech laws on Scotland: Major Scottish parties adopt controversial definition of Islamophobia
If Scottish legislators define homophobia incorrectly then people will go to jail for criticizing a religion -- as happens in Austria.

No laws have been passed. The thread talks about parties adopting the definition; not as it being adopted officially as law.

It's worth bearing in mind that blasphemy laws have been on the books for centuries thanks to Christianity; not the EU. The SNP have been reluctant to repeal these laws, possibly from fear of losing the Catholic/wider Christian part of their voter base.

Also, England repealed its blasphemy laws in 2008. Note how the UK being a member of the EU did not prevent this.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It's worth bearing in mind that blasphemy laws have been on the books for centuries thanks to Christianity; not the EU.
We're not talking about blasphemy laws but about gag laws put in place by the EU, specifically hate speech laws the mere loose interpretation of which can get people into trouble. In particular the EU is against defamatory internet posts and member nations are, too. They have proven that they will censure, and that will stop public dialogue.

New EU Directive Limits Hate Speech, Establishes European Content Quotas - Intellectual Property Watch
https://businessesgrow.com/2018/01/31/why-you-should-worry-about-europes-new-hate-speech-laws/

businessgrow.com article above said:
The controversial law has drawn criticism from the opposition in government and the German Federation of Journalists. Nevertheless, it is being enforced. Since the EU Commission has implemented similar laws for the greater Europe, knowing what and what-not-to post becomes crucial if you serve that market.

So its not blasphemy laws now but anti-defamatory laws and hate speech, and the problem I see is that people can be censured even before they speak. These are essentially 'No mocking' laws like what a China style government would have.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
We're not talking about blasphemy laws but about gag laws put in place by the EU, specifically hate speech laws the mere loose interpretation of which can get people into trouble. In particular the EU is against defamatory internet posts and member nations are, too. They have proven that they will censure, and that will stop public dialogue.

New EU Directive Limits Hate Speech, Establishes European Content Quotas - Intellectual Property Watch
https://businessesgrow.com/2018/01/31/why-you-should-worry-about-europes-new-hate-speech-laws/

So its not blasphemy laws now but anti-defamatory laws and hate speech, and the problem I see is that people can be censured even before they speak. These are essentially 'No mocking' laws like what a China style government would have.

The fact remains Scottish parties adopting a definition of Islamophobia does not equate to passing it into law, nor can the EU be blamed for this as it is a decision taken by each party's hierarchy. The EU have not stopped countries repealing similar speech-repressing legislation, like England & Wales blasphemy laws.

If I'm thinking of the same Directive you are, I'm against it because it risks cutting off a good chunk of Youtube content from distributors outside the EU. It is poorly thought out and needs to be stopped. It shows that the EU is far from perfect and can make mistakes. While this is a fairly big mistake, I'd still say we stand to benefit more from being out of the EU than in.

Notanumber

A Free Man
The latest polls are indicating the Nigel is getting more support than both the Tories and Labour combined.

Those occupants of the asylum that we call parliament deserve a good drubbing for the shameful way they have treated the electorate.

The Brexit Party will not need my support, which leaves me free to vote for Tommy. A win win situation.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
The latest polls are indicating the Nigel is getting more support than both the Tories and Labour combined.

Those occupants of the asylum that we call parliament deserve a good drubbing for the shameful way they have treated the electorate.

The Brexit Party will not need my support, which leaves me free to vote for Tommy. A win win situation.

Don't split the vote. We can't take any chances.