• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulations PM Designate Modi

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Congratulations PM Designate Modi.
Please come visit US leaders at the earliest, and a tremendous victory and historic in nature.

Om Namah Sivaya

Andal

resident hypnotist
Congratulations Mr. Prime Minister! May this victory bring a new age in India.

Aum Hari Aum!

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm probably going to sound incredibly ignorant, but who is Modi and what are his politics/policies?

I'm not really up to date on Indian politics.

Omkara

I'm probably going to sound incredibly ignorant, but who is Modi and what are his politics/policies?

The winner of the largest ever excercise of democratic self determination in human history by an elctorate of 814 million voters, the newly elected leader of a billion Hindus and 1.27 billion Indians (i.e. 1/7 th of the human race) :-D

Last edited:

Kalidas

He is a pro Hindu nationalist running for Prim minister of India. He is the ONLY candidate NOT tied to a scandal, considering the other political powers have been slowly killing their own people for the benefit of Muslim and Christian influence.

I don't agree with all of his policies (he doesn't seem to have a positive opinion of the LGBT community), but of all the candidates he has the people of India, and Hindus as whole in his heart.

Omkara

I don't agree with all of his policies (he doesn't seem to have a positive opinion of the LGBT community), but of all the candidates he has the people of India, and Hindus as whole in his heart.

I do not know how many times I will have to issue this clarification- Social 'issues' as they exist in the west are both politically and socially irrelevant in India, in particular the isuye of Gay 'rights'. In India one's sex life is considered extremely private. Since it is considered bad taste to discuss one's sex life in public even with one's family, the idea of 'coming out of the closet' is itself redundant.Nobody cares or wants to know.

The so-called 'issue' cropped up because a court upheld the constitutionality of an old Colonial-era law barring 'unnatural sex' of all kinds including bestiality,pedophelia and sodomy. The law itself requires a complainant as it is acts under the assimption that homosexuality is 'unnatural' and therefore cannot be consensual.Thus consensual sex is not covered under this law. The court refused to repeal the law on the grounds that doing so was the prerogative of Parliament not the courts. The only party that bothered to take a position on the verdict was the then ruling party which has now been decimated to 44 seats in a Parliament of 543.Even they made a short 5 minute statement saying they are committed to repealing the law and left it at that. It was never discussed or part of the campaign at any time.None of India's other 20-30 major parties many of which rule provinces with populations equivalent to say,Britain or France even bothered to react.Nor will a single vote change hands on the basis of this issue.

Whether the principal opposition party or its PM candidate takes a position on 'gay rights' is gloriously irrelevent to Indians and the fact that there is controversy about is a result of paradropped foreign journalists applying their own cultural standards to a culture wherecthose standards are irrelevent.

END OF RANT
:)

Kalidas

I do not know how many times I will have to issue this clarification- Social 'issues' as they exist in the west are both politically and socially irrelevant in India, in particular the isuye of Gay 'rights'. In India one's sex life is considered extremely private. Since it is considered bad taste to discuss one's sex life in public even with one's family, the idea of 'coming out of the closet' is itself redundant.Nobody cares or wants to know.

The so-called 'issue' cropped up because a court upheld the constitutionality of an old Colonial-era law barring 'unnatural sex' of all kinds including bestiality,pedophelia and sodomy. The law itself requires a complainant as it is acts under the assimption that homosexuality is 'unnatural' and therefore cannot be consensual.Thus consensual sex is not covered under this law. The court refused to repeal the law on the grounds that doing so was the prerogative of Parliament not the courts. The only party that bothered to take a position on the verdict was the then ruling party which has now been decimated to 44 seats in a Parliament of 543.Even they made a short 5 minute statement saying they are committed to repealing the law and left it at that. It was never discussed or part of the campaign at any time.None of India's other 20-30 major parties many of which rule provinces with populations equivalent to say,Britain or France even bothered to react.Nor will a single vote change hands on the basis of this issue.

Whether the principal opposition party or its PM candidate takes a position on 'gay rights' is gloriously irrelevent to Indians and the fact that there is controversy about is a result of paradropped foreign journalists applying their own cultural standards to a culture wherecthose standards are irrelevent.

END OF RANT
:)

Thanks for the explanation. Either way I did read a little more on it and from what I read he was fairly silent on the issue, Which only further proves your point. "Not my business to ask, not your business to tell". Either way that is one minor issue in comparison to everything else.

He shows great promise in helping India grow

Andal

resident hypnotist
Vannakkam Starry,

Don't feel ignorant at all. Those of us outside of India don't get a whole lot of news from Bharata Mata, and what does come out is very bias. Modiji was the head of Gujurat for several years. He elevated the state to the extent that they are the largest contributor to the national economy (if I'm not mistaken). He is pro Hindu and right wing. The bowing down to certain minorities at the expense of the majority will hopefully end.

He isn't without blemish though because he was in charge during the Gujurati riots during which 200 Hindus died as well as 1000 Muslims. A lot of western media focuses on this aspect but they forget about all of the terrorism done by these people and while violence isn't a great response, every story has 2 sides. Not to mention that Modiji and the local government did not insight it. The criticism is they didn't do enough.

I like Modiji and I am very hopeful that he will do wonderful things for India which will in turn do great things for the world. My only reservation is the hype around him reminds me of the hype around Obama in America. That level of hero worship is dangerous and sometimes leads to disappointment.

I am staying hopeful that Modiji will carve a bright future for India.

Aum Hari Aum!

Kalidas

Vannakkam Starry,

Don't feel ignorant at all. Those of us outside of India don't get a whole lot of news from Bharata Mata, and what does come out is very bias. Modiji was the head of Gujurat for several years. He elevated the state to the extent that they are the largest contributor to the national economy (if I'm not mistaken). He is pro Hindu and right wing. The bowing down to certain minorities at the expense of the majority will hopefully end.

He isn't without blemish though because he was in charge during the Gujurati riots during which 200 Hindus died as well as 1000 Muslims. A lot of western media focuses on this aspect but they forget about all of the terrorism done by these people and while violence isn't a great response, every story has 2 sides. Not to mention that Modiji and the local government did not insight it. The criticism is they didn't do enough.

I like Modiji and I am very hopeful that he will do wonderful things for India which will in turn do great things for the world. My only reservation is the hype around him reminds me of the hype around Obama in America. That level of hero worship is dangerous and sometimes leads to disappointment.

I am staying hopeful that Modiji will carve a bright future for India.

Aum Hari Aum!

Well there is more to it than that. George W Bush wouldn't allow Modi in America (repealed his visa or something stupid like that) so yeah we're going to get a lot of "Modi hate" on the west. I try my best to do my own research and ignore our "media".

Things might be different. Obama has an insane amount of opposition from Congress. It's hard to ANYTHING done when the opposing party shuts down everything you try to do. Lets hope he does not have these issues.

Omkara

HAHAHA Opposition....it will take reasonable lenght of time to explain the scale and magnitude of this mandate.He can amend the Constitution itself within half a day if he wishes. There is no officially designated opposition party because you need to win at least 10% of the seats in Parliament to gain that status.The BJP's increase in votes polled is more than the total votes it had polled last time.

Total control. This is a turning point in Indian history itself. A democratically elected Prime Minister from a lower caste taking charge for the first time with a mandate to make India a free-market economy.

Andal

resident hypnotist
Well there is more to it than that. George W Bush wouldn't allow Modi in America (repealed his visa or something stupid like that) so yeah we're going to get a lot of "Modi hate" on the west. I try my best to do my own research and ignore our "media".

Things might be different. Obama has an insane amount of opposition from Congress. It's hard to ANYTHING done when the opposing party shuts down everything you try to do. Lets hope he does not have these issues.

Vannakkam,

Of course there is more to it. One could write a dissertation on Modiji's exchanges with the US. I have little doubt that the Bush administration's refusal of Modi had to do with their insistence on appeasement of certain groups.

In terms of Obama, I don't want this to turn into a US political discussion so I'll leave it at this, you are correct the congress stood in opposition every chance they had. And still we can't blame the congress for the entirety of failures in the current administration.

In terms of Modiji and India, I hope the heartfelt devotion of the people is not misplaced and he will step beyond old political patterns and create something truly amazing. He and the BJP have so much potential and I can't wait to see what happens :)

Aum Hari Aum!

Kalidas

Vannakkam,

Of course there is more to it. One could write a dissertation on Modiji's exchanges with the US. I have little doubt that the Bush administration's refusal of Modi had to do with their insistence on appeasement of certain groups.

In terms of Obama, I don't want this to turn into a US political discussion so I'll leave it at this, you are correct the congress stood in opposition every chance they had. And still we can't blame the congress for the entirety of failures in the current administration.

In terms of Modiji and India, I hope the heartfelt devotion of the people is not misplaced and he will step beyond old political patterns and create something truly amazing. He and the BJP have so much potential and I can't wait to see what happens :)

Aum Hari Aum!

Agreed there are plenty of US politics threads we don't need to derail an otherwise happy moment!

As our friend above mentioned he went from low caste to here. He has seen the struggles of India from a personal and painful view. It appears that he has the heart to want to help.

Andal

resident hypnotist
Agreed there are plenty of US politics threads we don't need to derail an otherwise happy moment!

As our friend above mentioned he went from low caste to here. He has seen the struggles of India from a personal and painful view. It appears that he has the heart to want to help.

Agreed :)

The tide is turning and it is a truly exciting moment for India and Hindus internationally. Globally it's important as the largest successful democratic election.

It will be interesting to see what he does about caste politics given his background.

Aum Hari Aum!

Kalidas

Agreed :)

The tide is turning and it is a truly exciting moment for India and Hindus internationally. Globally it's important as the largest successful democratic election.

It will be interesting to see what he does about caste politics given his background.

Aum Hari Aum!

That is a good question.

Omkara

He has already rewritten centuries-old caste equations in the heartland. This election turned into a Tsunami of support for one man at 4:00 PM on 24th April when Dalits proudly asserted their Hindu identity for the first time by voting enmasse for BJP.