• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congestive Heart Failure - I probably haz it

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, I passed the stress test with flying colors, my bp and ekg are perfect. ECG looked ok. I just can’t breathe. So they’re still scratching their heads. But my TSH is 17. The cardiologist said oh that’s fine. Yeah, my butt is fine. The other doctor even said no, 0.5-5.0 is the range. So now we look at my thyroid dosage... again.

Btw, they raised the grade and speed of the treadmill so that I had to break into a run for a minute or so. So, I’m not quite ready for the pyre yet. :D

If I’m lucky and it’s not really cardio related I could go home today.

Too much hot air around you ... explains the poor breathing.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok so I make it a point not to give medical advice on fora - but - what is the ejection fraction (EF) on your echocardiogram? It is usually a percentage ranging from 15 to 70% (Presuming one was done) - it shows the functioning of the heart in real time - did you get one?

I don’t know. I could ask my primary when I see him. I’m never happy with leaving it at “it was normal”. That’s why I asked the cardiologist what was my TSH. Don’t say it’s normal when I know 17 is not.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Lately, past month or two, maybe three, I've been swelling up more than usual. I always did have a bit of a water retention problem. My mother did too. Ok, I do eat pizza, occasional subs and cold cuts, some chips here and there. And I've gotten fat.
  1. I can't get my boots on without a long-handled shoehorn, and even then it's a tight fit.

2. I get winded and no longer take the stairs.

3. I get short of breath even just sitting.

4. Lying in the recliner is a better sleep than lying flat.

5. B.P. today was 140/106.

6. I wake up at night feeling like I'm suffocating. I have to get up and walk around or even just stand and catch my breath.
Those are just the highlights. I thought this was all due to having gained weight and gotten out of shape. I was a power lifter until about 6 years ago when my back required a lumbar fusion. I was still taking 3-3.5 mph road walks and weight training. My diet was pretty good. Maybe around last December my diet and exercise took a jog to the left. I've put on about 30 lbs. I don't know how much of it is water, but I do have a "bear belly". Btw, I'll be 62 years old in 2 weeks.

So I go to Urgent Care because it's a near impossibility to get in to see my regular doctor. The UC doctor examines me, questions me and says he's reasonably sure it's CHF. He drew blood and will get the results in a few days. He gave me Lasix 20 mg and told me to see my own dr. and/or a cardiologist. My dr. gives me an appt. next week! I have the name of a cardiologist that I may just go to, bypassing my dr. He's only going to tell me to see a cardiologist.

I think I caught this early but I'm reading some pretty dismal outlooks for this disease: I don't fear death or dying, for myself... I'm Hindu and have great faith in my beliefs. Rather I worry for those I leave behind. I don't plan to give up, in fact I'll probably go kicking and howling if it ever comes to that. Maybe it won't.
So sorry to read this and I truly hope and pray that your doctors can get a better handle on this. I know exercise is hard for you, but it's really important that you do the best you can with that daily. My own father had silent heart attacks in his late 40's but went on exercise programs and lived to be 78.

atanu

Premium Member
Lately, past month or two, maybe three, I've been swelling up more than usual. I always did have a bit of a water retention problem. My mother did too. Ok, I do eat pizza, occasional subs and cold cuts, some chips here and there. And I've gotten fat.
  1. I can't get my boots on without a long-handled shoehorn, and even then it's a tight fit.

6. I wake up at night feeling like I'm suffocating. I have to get up and walk around or even just stand and catch my breath.
Those are just the highlights. I thought this was all due to having gained weight and gotten out of shape. I was a power lifter until about 6 years ago when my back required a lumbar fusion. I was still taking 3-3.5 mph road walks and weight training. My diet was pretty good. Maybe around last December my diet and exercise took a jog to the left. I've put on about 30 lbs. I don't know how much of it is water, but I do have a "bear belly". Btw, I'll be 62 years old in 2 weeks.

So I go to Urgent Care because it's a near impossibility to get in to see my regular doctor. The UC doctor examines me, questions me and says he's reasonably sure it's CHF. He drew blood and will get the results in a few days. He gave me Lasix 20 mg and told me to see my own dr. and/or a cardiologist. My dr. gives me an appt. next week! I have the name of a cardiologist that I may just go to, bypassing my dr. He's only going to tell me to see a cardiologist.

I think I caught this early but I'm reading some pretty dismal outlooks for this disease: I don't fear death or dying, for myself... I'm Hindu and have great faith in my beliefs. Rather I worry for those I leave behind. I don't plan to give up, in fact I'll probably go kicking and howling if it ever comes to that. Maybe it won't.

Sad to learn. But I think that you should not conclude anything before you get your BP and weight back. My best wishes from heart.

In addition to professional medical help, I suggest a visit to a professional yoga teacher, if possible. Pranayama, particularly, anuloma-viloma does wonder to BP and oxygen level in body-blood.

Best. Jai Shri Krishna.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For sure. I should have talked to my sister before the treadmill. That was a stress in itself. :D
Never met a treadmill I didn't hate. The one time I was on one was during cardio rehab. Thank God for the slant function is all I can say. We gave that nurse such a hard time in good fun. When a new guy or gal came in to the program, we'd introduce her as the slave driver. Some newbies thought we were serious.

One day we got her so engaged in conversation she got distracted from timing the poor guy who was doing the introductory test of seeing how much you can walk in 5 minutes. About 8 minutes in she was really apologetic. I went back to say 'hi' on my anniversary checkup.

Amazing how nonchalant some people were about it.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member

Another thing. My wife has had the problem of high BP and sudden bloating up for last 15 years. We have noted that her BP and condition worsens every time she eats pizza from outside. The excess salt I think does it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Another thing. My wife has had the problem of high BP and sudden bloating up for last 15 years. We have noted that her BP and condition worsens every time she eats pizza from outside. The excess salt I think does it.

Oh for sure it’s the salt. Even if it doesn’t taste overly salty you can be sure it’s loaded. I love pizza but it’s the worst for salt. If you make your own you will be amazed at the taste. I use naan, my own tomato sauce or a low sodium variety, fresh mozzarella or ricotta. Pop in the oven at 400 just until the cheese melts. That is real pizza. ;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So sorry to read this and I truly hope and pray that your doctors can get a better handle on this. I know exercise is hard for you, but it's really important that you do the best you can with that daily. My own father had silent heart attacks in his late 40's but went on exercise programs and lived to be 78.

Thanks. I learned today that I’m not so limited in my physical abilities. I may not be able do do a 5 mile run anymore but I think I gave a good account of myself. :)