• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

confused omnist

syo

I am a pagan omnist and out of the Abrahamic religions, I saw that Judaism and Islam are great true religions with sacred books.

But... christianity teaches something that I missed. The new testament must offer something and I can't find it.

I want to be a true omnist, but christianity is pushing me away. What has the new testament that I don't see?

Jesus teaches something, but what is it???

Why do christians say that Jesus stands out? What is unique about Jesus that I miss???

Heyo

Veteran Member
I am a pagan omnist and out of the Abrahamic religions, I saw that Judaism and Islam are great true religions with sacred books.

But... christianity teaches something that I missed. The new testament must offer something and I can't find it.

I want to be a true omnist, but christianity is pushing me away. What has the new testament that I don't see?

Why do christians say that Jesus stands out? What is unique about Jesus that I miss???
Charisma.
Jesus has been the most successful fictional character in history. The book he stares in is the most printed and his fan club is the biggest. Has to account for something.

syo

Charisma.
Jesus has been the most successful fictional character in history. The book he stares in is the most printed and his fan club is the biggest. Has to account for something.
True, true.

And to what use can we put this Charisma? If I got starstruck out of Jesus, will my life get any better???

Or is his charisma a waste of time?

King Phenomenon

He's the alpha and omega

Heyo

Veteran Member
True, true.

And to what use can we put this Charisma? If I got starstruck out of Jesus, will my life get any better???

Or is his charisma a waste of time?
It would be for me (and possibly for you) but many people find comfort in the belief. I may make sarcastic comments about it but I'm totally fine with it, as long as it doesn't influence others negatively.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

You can read the famous 'Sermon on the Mount' in just a few minutes (...or a few hours, depending on how much you slow down to think on :), I think on the 3rd time I slowed way down, and it took a few minutes here and there over many days).

It's chapters 5-7 in Matthew, and here's a link:
Matthew 5 NIV

I'd suggest to continue reading after chapter 7, and you'll get much more of what He's saying, with listening to more.

PureX

Veteran Member

God within.

The revelation and promise of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection is that God's divine spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity exists in all of us. And that if we will set aside our own fear and ego, and allow ourselves to become the human embodiment of that divine spirit within, we will be healed and saved from ourselves, and will be able to help heal and save others.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

You like Islam. You like Judaism. You don't like Christianity. You're in none of the above, but you want to say you're in all three? Is this a plug for converting to Islam? You could. Then you could say you were in all three. You haven't. Why not?

halbhh

Mythical or legendary to be more precise. Based on one or more real people but mystified beyond recognition.
Reading well and fully, it comes down to very specific things like forgiveness -- "forgive your bother not just 7 times, but seventy seven times" (that is, more than only a certain limit of times) -- and other such, specific instructions on how to live life. Taking care of someone in need we encounter (Lazarus and the Rich Man), and other such rather specific and clear instructions on living. Of course, people themselves can then mystify it, but the messages are generally clear. Everyone does wrongs, and needs renewal/redemption. It's stuff few would argue with if presented piece by piece. The thing is though, these instructions are radical on one level, and disrupt ordinary human power-over-others. So, they don't fit the normal way of living many would do where they take advantage of others or try to put themselves above others. So it does cut across one level of human nature at times, but for a better level.

The instructions would bring us to the best within ourselves, to our best life.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Reading well and fully, it comes down to very specific things like forgiveness -- "forgive your bother not just 7 times, but seventy seven times" (that is, more than only a certain limit of times) -- and other such, specific instructions on how to live life. Taking care of someone in need we encounter (Lazarus and the Rich Man), and other such rather specific and clear instructions on living. Of course, people themselves can then mystify it, but the messages are generally clear. Everyone does wrongs, and needs renewal/redemption. It's stuff few would argue with if presented piece by piece. The thing is though, these instructions are radical on one level, and disrupt ordinary human power-over-others. So, they don't fit the normal way of living many would do where they take advantage of others or try to put themselves above others. So it does cut across one level of human nature at times, but for a better level.

The instructions would bring us to the best within ourselves, to our best life.
You lost me. We were talking about the (non)reality of Jesus. What you just said is applicable to a real, legendary or fictional character. (One could even argue it would fit a fictional character better.)

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
While there are ascetics in Judaism and Islam, the teachings of Christ are probably the most ascetic of the Abrahamic religions. In a way, they're a more extreme version of Jewish morality, while at the same time having very little to do with the Torah. They're both Apollonian, and a ressentiment of the earlier Dionysians.

Jesus teaches detachment from "worldliness," and as a martyr teaches about placing abstract values over pragmatism. He was a principalist, which as far as I can tell is rather distinct from most forms of Judaism, which tend to be more adaptable in reasonable ways.

Again, while similar teachings are found throughout Abrahamic religion (and are much more common in Dharmic religion) Christianity makes the message universal, applying it to non-gentiles, and makes it far more rigid and personal. He also forms the basis of the idea of judgment being otherworldly, rather than religiously sanctioned on earth, ironically.

Again, it's not necessarily completely divorced from the other Abrahamic religions, but this focus on asceticism and martyrdom is uniquely strong in Christianity. I mean, what else would you expect when their symbol is a tortured naked guy being executed?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I agree with @halbhh that the Sermon on the Mount contains the answer to the OP but would also add the two "greatest" commandments. These two are actually in the OT but what is different in the NT is that they are highlighted and made the basis of "all the law and all the prophets".

Reactions: syo

halbhh

You lost me. We were talking about the (non)reality of Jesus. What you just said is applicable to a real, legendary or fictional character. (One could even argue it would fit a fictional character better.)
I didn't think I needed to guess or know somehow whether or not Jesus was this way or that in order to try out doing as He said to do. I thought instead: 'I'll try that out and see what happens' -- for several different things He said. Didn't require knowing He did this or that, nor even any faith at all (I considered myself atheist), but only the neutral view that a given instruction might possibly work well (or poorly!) -- that I didn't assume it could not work for example, but used no assumption. I instead would try it out to find out.

GameChanger

I'm more interested in why you believe that Judaism and Islam in particular are "great true religions".

The way I see it: Christianity and Islam grew out of the Jewish tradition. I've read both the Quran and the Bible (in addition to studying early modern history) and the only value I got from reading them was an insight into how and why there is such a dire clash of civilizations between the West and the Middle East and the complexities that follow.

syo

You can read the famous 'Sermon on the Mount' in just a few minutes (...or a few hours, depending on how much you slow down to think on :), I think on the 3rd time I slowed way down, and it took a few minutes here and there over many days).

It's chapters 5-7 in Matthew, and here's a link:
Matthew 5 NIV

I'd suggest to continue reading after chapter 7, and you'll get much more of what He's saying, with listening to more.
I will read it many times. (I really want to find some truth in the new testament. i want to be a real omnist)

syo

God within.

The revelation and promise of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection is that God's divine spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity exists in all of us. And that if we will set aside our own fear and ego, and allow ourselves to become the human embodiment of that divine spirit within, we will be healed and saved from ourselves, and will be able to help heal and save others.
I have to think about it more. I think all religions want a moral good person. Is something christianity has that does not exist in other religions?

syo

You're in none of the above, but you want to say you're in all three?
No. An omnist doesn't say I belong to many religons, but I accept all religions as true and i am helped in everyday life by teachings of the religions. An omnist doesn't belong in a religious club.