• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confession

Falcon

Read my Post # 35 , it explains the authority given by Jesus to His priests [ presbyters / apostles, bishops ] for the forgiveness of sins.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Read my Post # 35 , it explains the authority given by Jesus to His priests [ presbyters / apostles, bishops ] for the forgiveness of sins.

Or they could always read my post which states the Catechism and about the Ministry of Reconciliation.

:shrug:

Falcon

Exactly, sorry Jacob Ezra, your post would contain the exact , correct understanding , [ Catechism of the Catholic Church] it contains the best explanation.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Exactly, sorry Jacob Ezra, your post would contain the exact , correct understanding , [ Catechism of the Catholic Church] it contains the best explanation.

I was just hinting at the way the thread has been so far. Everyone, except a few, talking about the Church and how wrong it is, without seeking catholic sources.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Is the rite of reconciliation, including personal confession into the ear of a priest, as taught by the Catholic Church scriptural?
Jesus said to the Apostles(who's authority has been passed down to the modern day priests and bishops): 'Whatever you bind is bound in heaven, whatever you loose is loosed in heaven.'
James told us to: 'Confess your faults to one another.'

islam abduallah

God allready knows our sins ,that is why He formed His earthly Church , to act in His behalf while He is gone . All authority , we see from the Bible was given to His Apostles and their qualified successors , just as the Bible states. Along with this ,went the authority and power to forgive sins as initiated by Jesus-
John 20 : 21-23 " ...."Pease be with you. [ speaking only to His Apostles ] As the Father has sent me, so I send you. " And when he had said this , he breathed on them and said to them , " Receive the holy Spirit . Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained ".

here i have an objection about the credibility of that verses? i think this verse proves that the bible isn't the word of god

the pop or priest is a person like me and you, he has his own sins, do you agree with me about that? who forgives the pop's sins?

couldn't the god forgive our sins while he's in the heaven?

at the middle centuries the popes sold the paradise to the people till a jew Exposed their shame and buy the hell from them, so the people didn't in need to buy the paradise more
those people were working for money not for the god's sake, they used their authorities to collect money not to help people, to forgive your sins you have to pay
and now it's reformatted in a form of taxes to the member of churches, how i could trust a man claim he forgives sin in the name of god and then he extends his hands in my pocket !!

at the middle centuries the popes killed the Scientists because their discovering against the bible texts, and that lead to invent the secularism in Europe

now we have very bad news about the popes and priests, could you see this accidents

Pope's Preacher: Criticizing Church for Child Rape is Like Anti-Semitism

pleae falcon, think deeply about what i'm saying

kepha31

Stop throwing rocks, Abdu. Imams have been charged with sexual assault too. You don't see Catholics stereotyping all Imam's over it.
Imam charged with sexual assault - Yahoo! News
Imam charged with sex offences - The Local
There is more, but you get the idea. You are starting to sound like Father Heathen.
Maybe I should throw in the sex slave trade in Islamic countries or the 2 million Christians who have been murdered in Sudan in the past 20 years. You live in a glass house. Stop persecuting Catholicism with prejudice and false histories.

Sex scandals have nothing to do with the topic. You are way out of line.

Last edited:

kepha31

James 5:16 - James clearly teaches us that we must “confess our sins to one another,” not just privately to God. James 5:16 must be read in the context of James 5:14-15, which is referring to the healing power (both physical and spiritual) of the priests of the Church. Hence, when James says “therefore” in verse 16, he must be referring to the men he was writing about in verses 14 and 15 – these men are the ordained priests of the Church, to whom we must confess our sins.
Scripture Catholic - SACRAMENT OF CONFESSION & FORGIVENESS OF SINS
Where does the Bible condone the abolishment of the New Testament priesthood? If you have no valid priesthood, then you have no need of confession or any sacrament for that matter.

kepha31

"Why should I confess my sins to a priest, when I can go directly to God?"
One answer is that we can talk directly to God and ask forgiveness for the sins or faults that weigh on us. There is allowance made for this approach in the penitential rite at the beginning of Mass, and surveys indicate that many Catholics use this opportunity to examine their conscience or take their spiritual temperature and ask forgiveness. The Church has always taught that God's love and acceptance are available whenever anyone is truly sorry for harmful words, deeds or attitudes.

The priest in his role as confessor in the Sacrament of Reconciliation can also serve as a kind of sounding board or mirror who helps you see points you may not have thought of.
When you look to others, whether priest, family or friend, it probably isn't because you doubt God. You're checking with those you trust and respect to reassure and inform you. God, after all, speaks to us through those around us. So it is with the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
You sometimes need feedback from another individual who can help you understand your feelings, examine your motives, analyze your actions and suggest a resolution of your concerns. Catholics believe that God is so close to creation that the divine enters our life in the most personal manner imaginable: God becomes a visible part of our world in the person of Jesus Christ.
This Jesus meets you in the sacraments of the Church in order to give you the gift of his presence through the most common elements of your daily life: water, bread and wine, touch and speech.
Jesus gives you the Sacrament of Reconciliation as a help because he understands that you often need to hear a voice other than your own to assure you that you are forgiven, that all is well and that you do not need to be haunted by past mistakes.

Conscience means "judging with correct knowledge." Conscience is not a "little voice" inside you that automatically tells you when you have done good or bad. Conscience simply means having a sense of yourself when you make choices, knowing that you are actively involved in what you do and say. It is your sense of personhood in moral matters.
Conscience, like speech or your sense of self, has to be developed. It involves listening to the voices of your parents, your community, your family and friends and your Church in order to hear, as best you can, your own voice as you make your choices in life. Conscience is the most sacred space where you seek to be responsible to God and others for who you are and what you do. Within this space, you judge your "spiritual temperature."
Reconciliation, in or out of the sacrament, starts with facing the facts of your behavior and attitudes honestly and humbly. The ancient Greek philosopher Socrates said it well: "The unexamined life is not worth living." For Christians, the unexamined life is incapable of moral growth and development. You would remain a "moral infant" if you never reflected on your actions. This first step in the Sacrament of Reconciliation is called the examination of conscience.
Following the examination of conscience... see Preparing for Confession by Rev. Thomas M. Casey - Youth Update ©1991

islam abduallah

Stop throwing rocks, Abdu. Imams have been charged with sexual assault too. You don't see Catholics stereotyping all Imam's over it.
Imam charged with sexual assault - Yahoo! News
Imam charged with sex offences - The Local
There is more, but you get the idea. You are starting to sound like Father Heathen.
Maybe I should throw in the sex slave trade in Islamic countries or the 2 million Christians who have been murdered in Sudan in the past 20 years. You live in a glass house. Stop persecuting Catholicism with prejudice and false histories.

Sex scandals have nothing to do with the topic. You are way out of line.

my name is Islam not abdu, but anyway you are welcome :)

we don't consider Imams as a holy person, who is impossible to do sins, no they are humans like us, some of them are good while others are so bad take the religion as a source of money and power, i despise those very much

what i mentioned isn't a false stories, you know that well, let's not hide our heads in the sole

islam abduallah

the concept of Imam in Islam is a person who leads us during the prayers that's all, he couldn't forgive sins or anything else, the prophet himself couldn't do that by his own, forgive sins is only made by Allah

and the Imam in islam could be a normal person like me, some times i be as an imam for certain prayers in the mosque, it's normal it's not Monopoly for a certain person

but all of that is for Sunni Muslims

shieet have another opinion about Imam, you can ask them about that

islam abduallah

"Why should I confess my sins to a priest, when I can go directly to God?"
One answer is that we can talk directly to God and ask forgiveness for the sins or faults that weigh on us. There is allowance made for this approach in the penitential rite at the beginning of Mass, and surveys indicate that many Catholics use this opportunity to examine their conscience or take their spiritual temperature and ask forgiveness. The Church has always taught that God's love and acceptance are available whenever anyone is truly sorry for harmful words, deeds or attitudes.

The priest in his role as confessor in the Sacrament of Reconciliation can also serve as a kind of sounding board or mirror who helps you see points you may not have thought of.
When you look to others, whether priest, family or friend, it probably isn't because you doubt God. You're checking with those you trust and respect to reassure and inform you. God, after all, speaks to us through those around us. So it is with the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
You sometimes need feedback from another individual who can help you understand your feelings, examine your motives, analyze your actions and suggest a resolution of your concerns. Catholics believe that God is so close to creation that the divine enters our life in the most personal manner imaginable: God becomes a visible part of our world in the person of Jesus Christ.
This Jesus meets you in the sacraments of the Church in order to give you the gift of his presence through the most common elements of your daily life: water, bread and wine, touch and speech.
Jesus gives you the Sacrament of Reconciliation as a help because he understands that you often need to hear a voice other than your own to assure you that you are forgiven, that all is well and that you do not need to be haunted by past mistakes.

Conscience means "judging with correct knowledge." Conscience is not a "little voice" inside you that automatically tells you when you have done good or bad. Conscience simply means having a sense of yourself when you make choices, knowing that you are actively involved in what you do and say. It is your sense of personhood in moral matters.
Conscience, like speech or your sense of self, has to be developed. It involves listening to the voices of your parents, your community, your family and friends and your Church in order to hear, as best you can, your own voice as you make your choices in life. Conscience is the most sacred space where you seek to be responsible to God and others for who you are and what you do. Within this space, you judge your "spiritual temperature."
Reconciliation, in or out of the sacrament, starts with facing the facts of your behavior and attitudes honestly and humbly. The ancient Greek philosopher Socrates said it well: "The unexamined life is not worth living." For Christians, the unexamined life is incapable of moral growth and development. You would remain a "moral infant" if you never reflected on your actions. This first step in the Sacrament of Reconciliation is called the examination of conscience.
Following the examination of conscience... see Preparing for Confession by Rev. Thomas M. Casey - Youth Update ©1991

my dear, i don't have any objection about the confession it self, to confess your sins or to repent in front of priest or pop, all of that is well, but my objection is "the authority of forgiveness", this isn't any human authority even the Jesus himself it's only for the god "who you call Father"

it's good to go to priest to open your heart for him and listen to his advice "surly if he's honest one and doesn't ask for money or yearly taxes"

also i'd like to add that making the forgiveness in Man's hand open the door of deceiving and deception, bad people could go to the priest and lie to claim that they are regretting about their sins and in fact they didn't just they want to take the forgiveness stamp from the Priest

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
my dear, i don't have any objection about the confession it self, to confess your sins or to repent in front of priest or pop, all of that is well, but my objection is "the authority of forgiveness", this isn't any human authority even the Jesus himself it's only for the god "who you call Father"
You must not have read the Gospel because Jesus forgives sins of people throughout the Gospels

also i'd like to add that making the forgiveness in Man's hand open the door of deceiving and deception, bad people could go to the priest and lie to claim that they are regretting about their sins and in fact they didn't just they want to take the forgiveness stamp from the Priest
Then they are not forgiven by God. Confession is a sacrament, an outward sign of an inward grace. When the person lies he is not truly sorry and has no perfect contrition, which is what gives forgiveness from God. That said, as long as one has perfect contrition, true sorrow for their sins, and dies before going to confession, he is still forgiven by God.

islam abduallah

You must not have read the Gospel because Jesus forgives sins of people throughout the Gospels

i know that christians believe that the blood of the jesus clean the people from the sins but i don't believe in that

Then they are not forgiven by God. Confession is a sacrament, an outward sign of an inward grace. When the person lies he is not truly sorry and has no perfect contrition, which is what gives forgiveness from God. That said, as long as one has perfect contrition, true sorrow for their sins, and dies before going to confession, he is still forgiven by God.

that leads that the pops and priests don't have an Independence authority of forgiveness is that right? if yes so no need to go to them for forgiveness just for advising and guiding not more, do you agree on that?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
i know that christians believe that the blood of the jesus clean the people from the sins but i don't believe in that

that leads that the pops and priests don't have an Independence authority of forgiveness is that right? if yes so no need to go to them for forgiveness just for advising and guiding not more, do you agree on that?

No I do not agree.