• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Compassion of Radha Krishna towards offenses

agorman

Premium Member
Hi, I'm considering to go back to Gaudiya Vaishnavism, but I read (and I've been told) that Radha and Krishna could get offended by many actions. So where's the compassion if they get offended because I inadvertently get naked in my room or give my back to them just because I'm walking? Where's the compassion and wisdom of those deities if they can't even forgive that to a simple human devotee? Heck even I would be able to forgive that! Especially because I just have my room available for my altar. Thank you...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hi, I'm considering to go back to Gaudiya Vaishnavism, but I read (and I've been told) that Radha and Krishna could get offended by many actions. So where's the compassion if they get offended because I inadvertently get naked in my room or give my back to them just because I'm walking? Where's the compassion and wisdom of those deities if they can't even forgive that to a simple human devotee? Heck even I would be able to forgive that! Especially because I just have my room available for my altar. Thank you...

Hindu Gods get offended? News to me. Certainly there is a level of respect we should partake in, but not sure if them getting offended is the right way to put it.

ratikala

Istha gosthi

dear agorman ,

If you wish to keep deity forms in your room ? it is very easy to save one self from causing any accidental disrespects by using a small screen or a curtain to sepperate the deitys from your living area when you are getting on with mundane activities like geting dressed etc .... open the curtain when you are ready welcome the deitys and to do puja . it is only respect ...

an acident they will forgive dont worry ...:)

Marble

Rolling Marble
I would try to treat my fellow humans with kindness, pratise nama japa & leave the rest upon god...

agorman

Premium Member
All right, wish me luck, *taking a deep breath* I'm going to replace my altar Buddhas with Radha Krishna, Gaura Nitai and others... let's see what happens. Marble, I hope it's enough with what you say! Thank you very much to all for your answers. Namasté!

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The deities are all around us. They see everything we do. They know everything we do. I would say show the same respect to Their images that you would show to a fellow human.

I don't do puja, but I have an altar, which is in the dining room, for lack of a better place in the house. The house is not vegetarian, and when company is over, the altar shares the same room people are eating in. I do not cover the altar

Do I think this is disrespectful? No, because my altar is a place I spend "concentrated" time with God in prayer, though I don't believe it is any more mystical or divine than any other images I have in the house. Whether an image is in the dining room or living room or bedroom (no bathroom... there are certain lines to be drawn), the deities can see who is doing what, where. I don't put towels or sheets over the other wall hangings or images of deities when doing something "offensive" (I use the word facetiously ;)).

Then again, I am a renegade and maverick and would give many orthodox Hindus an aneurysm.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well here I've found a list of offenses:

Sri Caitanya Caritamrta Madhya-lila Chapter 24 Verse 336 :faint:

I wonder why would they get angry by such acts. Especially if one does them without the intention of offending.

That's Prabhupada's purport btw, not the actual scripture. It's up to you to decide if Prabhupada is worth trusting. Prabhupada likes to talk about how foolish people are and how they will be tortured in hell for their simple stupidity. I find his tone in conflict with the scriptures. But that's just me...and a lot of other people come to think of it.

Marble

Rolling Marble
All right, wish me luck, *taking a deep breath* I'm going to replace my altar Buddhas with Radha Krishna, Gaura Nitai and others...
Why do you make a distinction between Buddha/Radha-Krishna?
When Krishna is everything, he is Budhha too.
When Buddha is everything, he is Krishna too.
I see no problem keeping them all on your altar.

agorman

Premium Member
Why do you make a distinction between Buddha/Radha-Krishna?
When Krishna is everything, he is Budhha too.
When Buddha is everything, he is Krishna too.
I see no problem keeping them all on your altar.

Well... sorry, I'm not Advaita. :) And I indeed have different feelings in front of the Buddhas and in front of Radha Krishna. The truth is maybe, everything is the same and everything is not the same, at the same time! ;)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Well... sorry, I'm not Advaita. :) And I indeed have different feelings in front of the Buddhas and in front of Radha Krishna. The truth is maybe, everything is the same and everything is not the same, at the same time! ;)

dear agorman ,

I am not advaita either .....:D

but simply like to say that allthough I have spent the past ...15 yrs ... serving radha krsna both at the temple and at home , I still keep buddha on his own shelf next to radha krsna :) as to a vaisnava lord buddha is dasavatara one of the ten incarnations of visnu .
so it is not nececary to worry that they conflict ,......
.... and to my mind it is in keeping with a very tibetan buddhist principle where by one shows respect to any teacher who has instructed you at any point in time , and lord buddha I still revere as the most supreme of teachers , what I had learnt through studying buddhism is still very valuable to me and very much a part of my every day life and I am still aplying buddhist principles whilst practicing bhakti :D .

there have been times when people have from their understanding ....told me to drop buddha , that with vaisnava bhakti you dont need any thing else ... another told me krsnsa is superior you dont need buddha any more .... but one festival day our guru was handing out presents ..... mostly to the children ... but he called me over and with the most beautifull smile , said .." I have something which I think you will particularly appreciate "and handed me a set of little carved depictions of the ten incarnations ..... they still sit on my shrine next to lord buddha and are very dear to me , they can allso be very helpfull to others in explaining the relationship of lord buddha to krsna :bow:

if you dont mind my asking ....
which school of buddhism were you atracted to ?
and how did you find your attraction to radha krsna ?

agorman

Premium Member
Ratikala, well, I actually left one of the Buddhas representing Shakyamuni on my altar; I didn't remove all of them... so, good idea, I'll leave him as Dasavatara. After all, painting and varnishing them has been a lot of work. I think I'll post a photo once my altar is ready, for you guys to tell me your opinion.

which school of buddhism were you atracted to ?
and how did you find your attraction to radha krsna ?

Well it's a long story. I've been trying paths for 10 years. I even worshiped Greek gods, which so many people treat as fictional (but they're very real, I think they're the same vedic gods with other names and appearances). In fact, if everything ends up going wrong with Vaishnavism, I may end up relating with the Greek/Vedic gods again.

But I hope that won't happen; to my opinion I see nothing matches Vaishnavism in its personal definition of God and the soul; the profound explanations of our possible destinations after death and the sheer amount of spiritual information not available in any other path, maybe except for Buddhism. But also, it's a feeling. I feel glad to have the choice of not ending up annihilated or united with the Universe. That makes me feel safe. In this I find it's similar to Catholicism; in the hope of going to Paradise to live with God. I was interested in Pure Land Buddhism, because I saw a similar goal of rising to a paradise to become a buddha. But then I realized Amitabha is the same deity as Krishna! I feel Pure Land Buddhism is some sort of a nice trick that Krishna played on people to come back to Him. So finally, why relating with the Buddhist version of the Lord if I can go directly to the original? :D

I actually put Radha Krishna on an altar for the first time after a friend, an ex-ISCKON, told me about Vaishnavism. Then I left Hinduism for other paths, I had misunderstandings, etc. But now I hope I won't have to change of path again because it's very distressing! :faint:

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But now I hope I won't have to change of path again because it's very distressing! :faint:

I've personally never done this, but have observed those who have. i think its wise to stick with a path for at least a period of 10 years or so, and better yet, forever. ll paths will have something you disagree with. If you head out the door every time that happens you'll never be stable in faith. The jumping around leads to confusion, "Are you coming or going?"

agorman

Premium Member
I've personally never done this, but have observed those who have. i think its wise to stick with a path for at least a period of 10 years or so, and better yet, forever. ll paths will have something you disagree with. If you head out the door every time that happens you'll never be stable in faith. The jumping around leads to confusion, "Are you coming or going?"

If I could have stayed in one path, I would have. But something serious always happened for me to make a change. Demonic attacks (especially in dreams) meant I was unprotected in that particular path, or I felt I received no revelations or I didn't accomplish anything, etc.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear agorman ,

Ratikala, well, I actually left one of the Buddhas representing Shakyamuni on my altar; I didn't remove all of them... so, good idea, I'll leave him as Dasavatara. After all, painting and varnishing them has been a lot of work. I think I'll post a photo once my altar is ready, for you guys to tell me your opinion.

would be nice to have the darshan of your deitys :)

Well it's a long story. I've been trying paths for 10 years. I even worshiped Greek gods, which so many people treat as fictional (but they're very real, I think they're the same vedic gods with other names and appearances). In fact, if everything ends up going wrong with Vaishnavism, I may end up relating with the Greek/Vedic gods again.
I hope for your sake that it dosent , I can sympathise with you an how distressing it can be to have to decide to move camps , It happened a long time ago to me , some people are very fortunate in that they meet a good group of practitioners first time off , in that case it is obviously meant to be . but some of us are not so lucky ...whether it is a test ? or ....?
any how it happens , and in my case what I have learnt has made me stronger in the long run , so I guess that was what was meant for me :)

But I hope that won't happen; to my opinion I see nothing matches Vaishnavism in its personal definition of God and the soul; the profound explanations of our possible destinations after death and the sheer amount of spiritual information not available in any other path, maybe except for Buddhism. But also, it's a feeling. I feel glad to have the choice of not ending up annihilated or united with the Universe. That makes me feel safe. In this I find it's similar to Catholicism; in the hope of going to Paradise to live with God. I was interested in Pure Land Buddhism, because I saw a similar goal of rising to a paradise to become a buddha. But then I realized Amitabha is the same deity as Krishna! I feel Pure Land Buddhism is some sort of a nice trick that Krishna played on people to come back to Him. So finally, why relating with the Buddhist version of the Lord if I can go directly to the original? :D
I can understand this so well (particularly the parts highlighted :D)

I actually put Radha Krishna on an altar for the first time after a friend, an ex-ISCKON, told me about Vaishnavism. Then I left Hinduism for other paths, I had misunderstandings, etc. But now I hope I won't have to change of path again because it's very distressing! :faint:
missunderstandings is a common problem for many people , but if the material world was perfect , we wouldnt be aiming any higher :)

agorman

Premium Member
Yes, changing paths is stressful but maybe it serves to learn lessons most people don't usually do.

Thank you Ratikala, I'm going to post another thread with my altar's photo.

Vrindavana Das

If I could have stayed in one path, I would have. But something serious always happened for me to make a change. Demonic attacks (especially in dreams) meant I was unprotected in that particular path, or I felt I received no revelations or I didn't accomplish anything, etc.

Friend, changing path will not make your demons go away. It is not the solution. These demonic visions/dreams, to you should mean, that you must take the shelter of Supreme Lord with all your heart, mind and soul - completely! Supreme Lord is all powerful. Have that firm conviction!

I see that you have a beautiful altar. It also has a photograph of Lord Narsimha. May I suggest you memorize Narsimha Pranaam Mantra and chant this as much as possible.

Lord Narsimha is very kind towards devotees. He protects their devotional qualities towards Supreme Lord - Krishna. :)

agorman

Premium Member
Friend, changing path will not make your demons go away. It is not the solution. These demonic visions/dreams, to you should mean, that you must take the shelter of Supreme Lord with all your heart, mind and soul - completely! Supreme Lord is all powerful. Have that firm conviction!

Well when you're in any path and you ask for protection and that protection is not given, then you'd better try another protection prayer or start following another path! Going on with a path while constantly being attacked is impossible! The last time I left Vaishnavism I felt ignored by Krishna, since I asked for His protection (with that mantra where you repeat His name 7 times) and then I had a vicious attack in the astral plane by a demon who took the shape of my mother to trick me and wanted to beat me to death. Maybe Krishna was offended with me and thus He didn't protect me? I was recently telepathically informed by the Shakyamuni Buddha that Krishna is not a protecting aspect of God, but the aspect that enjoys, so I'm currently asking protection to Narasimha.

Nowadays I'm trying to go back to Vaishnavism, but I feel Radha has forgiven me and Krishna still didn't. Which makes me wonder if I should change my path again, which I really don't want. I think I'll keep asking forgiveness to Krishna for a few days to see what happens. I really don't know what I did to offend Him.

I see that you have a beautiful altar. It also has a photograph of Lord Narsimha. May I suggest you memorize Narsimha Pranaam Mantra and chant this as much as possible.

Lord Narsimha is very kind towards devotees. He protects their devotional qualities towards Supreme Lord - Krishna. :)

I'm glad you like my altar! And with Narasimha I'm actually having a very nice experience. Since I asked Him for protection after reciting Om Narasimhaye Namaha 3 times, I finally feel safe and have no nightmares. Now I just go by the street without any fears of being mugged or run over by a car, etc. This is a good sign; I hope I'll be able to improve my relationship with Krishna soon. Which Narasimha mantra do you use?

Vrindavana Das

Which Narasimha mantra do you use?

My personal favourites are:

Sree Chaitanya Gaudiya Math - Audio

You will need to click on the links provided (No. 25 - Narasingha Mantra/No. 23 - Narsimha Kirtan) to play the audio.

Another one is:

http://krishnacast.org/audio/kirtan/Narasimha Kirtan.mp3

You can try this also. It will give you the lyrics as well.

[youtube]3SwjDyZfM7o[/youtube]
Namas Te Narasimhaya - Narasimha Deva - 20 anni Prabhupada Desh - ISKCON Temple - - YouTube

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend agorman,

When Krishna is available freely in one's heart at all times am not sure why it becomes necessary to follow man made rules??

Guess, it is free will!

Love & rgds