• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Communal sleeping - are you interested?

Who on RF would you join in a commual bed.

• No way. No how

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Their pets, yes.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Of course and I'll list who in my answer

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Just to sleep with and not "sleep" with?

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Sleeping with me is sleeping with my pets

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • What?

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

The lost ancient practise of communal sleep

Until the mid-19th Century, it was completely normal to share a bed with friends, colleagues and even total strangers. How did people cope? And why did we stop?
For thousands of years, it was completely normal to flop down in bed each night alongside friends, colleagues, relatives – including the entire extended family – or travelling pedlars. When on the road, people routinely found themselves lying next to total strangers. If they were unlucky, this outsider might come with an overwhelming stench, deafening snoring – or worse, a preference for sleeping naked.

Sometimes, "social sleeping" was simply a pragmatic solution to a shortage of beds, which were highly valuable pieces of furniture. But even the nobility actively sought out bedfellows for the unparallelled intimacy of night-time chats in the darkness, as well as warmth and a feeling of security. How did people navigate a night of communal sleeping? And why did this ancient practice stop?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Im one the voids here
1705182804625.png

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

The lost ancient practise of communal sleep

Until the mid-19th Century, it was completely normal to share a bed with friends, colleagues and even total strangers. How did people cope? And why did we stop?
For thousands of years, it was completely normal to flop down in bed each night alongside friends, colleagues, relatives – including the entire extended family – or travelling pedlars. When on the road, people routinely found themselves lying next to total strangers. If they were unlucky, this outsider might come with an overwhelming stench, deafening snoring – or worse, a preference for sleeping naked.

Sometimes, "social sleeping" was simply a pragmatic solution to a shortage of beds, which were highly valuable pieces of furniture. But even the nobility actively sought out bedfellows for the unparallelled intimacy of night-time chats in the darkness, as well as warmth and a feeling of security. How did people navigate a night of communal sleeping? And why did this ancient practice stop?
I'd say rancid body odor. Snoring etc.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There oughta be a shower area...

(With stalls. I draw the line at communal showers.)

Communal showers can be fun.

After i got out of hospital following the stomach ops the only way i could get clean was have someone in the shower with me to do the washing and rinsing... Lucky hubby was on hand.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think communal sleeping was more practical in ancient times where dangers were all around you and sleeping in a group would help ensure protection and security.

It brings back memories of barrack life in the military, and also when I was out in the field during maneuvers we would all sleep and shower as a unit instead of individuals.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

After i got out of hospital following the stomach ops the only way i could get clean was have someone in the shower with be to do the washing and rinsing... Lucky hubby was on hand.
I'll leave the communal showers for you and other RFians, then. I want a stall.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

After i got out of hospital following the stomach ops the only way i could get clean was have someone in the shower with me to do the washing and rinsing... Lucky hubby was on hand.
Decades ago my wife and I showered together in the "save water, shower with a friend" era.