• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Common Turn Offs in discussing your religion or beliefs

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I wanted to ask people what are the "turn-offs" when you are discussing your religion or beliefs with someone. i.e. What are the things that make you think it is not worth discussing it with this person?

I am sometimes a little reluctant to discuss Unitarian Universalism with my fellow atheists who identify as 'anti-theist' because some of them tend to be very anti-religion, and UU is a religion. Same for discussing my Buddhist and Hellenic philosophy influenced ideas. There are atheists who do not appreciate philosophy in any sense, and even view it somewhat scathingly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am sometimes a little reluctant to discuss Unitarian Universalism with my fellow atheists who identify as 'anti-theist' because some of them tend to be very anti-religion, and UU is a religion. Same for discussing my Buddhist and Hellenic philosophy influenced ideas. There are atheists who do not appreciate philosophy in any sense, and even view it somewhat scathingly.
Too many don't know that Unitarian churches are quite secular.
At our local one, they had a saying.....
The last time Jesus Christ was mentioned was when the janitor fell down the stairs.

Rainbow Mage

Too many don't know that Unitarian churches are quite secular.
At our local one, they had a saying.....
The last time Jesus Christ was mentioned was when the janitor fell down the stairs.

Good one :p

I think the issue some atheists might have with UU is that it kind of helps religion continue to exist, by acknowledging all worldviews as having validity and meaning. Some may not be favorable to the idea of atheists trying to co-exist with theists in a ecumenical sense, as in UU.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Good one :p

I think the issue some atheists might have with UU is that it kind of helps religion continue to exist, by acknowledging all worldviews as having validity and meaning. Some may not be favorable to the idea of atheists trying to co-exist with theists in a ecumenical sense, as in UU.

Sounds like fundies in atheist clothing :)

It's very, very common in my opinion that people change religion or supposedly drop it altogether, yet their way of seeing things has only artificially changed. They are X in name only, with a couple tweaks to theology at most.

Rainbow Mage

Sounds like fundies in atheist clothing :)

It's very, very common in my opinion that people change religion or supposedly drop it altogether, yet their way of seeing things has only artificially changed. They are X in name only, with a couple tweaks to theology at most.

I agree with you that the mindset of more stringent anti-theists is probably akin to a kind of fundamentalism.

Do you mind expounding the second part of your statement a bit? It would help me with clarification. Thank you!

Sees

Dragonslayer
I agree with you that the mindset of more stringent anti-theists is probably akin to a kind of fundamentalism.

Do you mind expounding the second part of your statement a bit? It would help me with clarification. Thank you!

Sure, I think we focus on theological and afterlife beliefs as the core of religion rather than just a small subsection. Your approach to all areas of life, your mindset and how it is applied, is more important and meaningful the way I see it. In regards to who and what you are label-wise. People often bring dogmatic, black and white thinking with them out of their Church upbringing and try to use different terminology/labeling layered on top...not much has actually changed for them.

Hopefully that doesn't sound the exact same lol

We had some threads about it in the last year or so in the pagan sections. Basically dealing with concepts and possible approaches to deprogramming and transitioning. I think the common idea that religion = theological and afterlife beliefs, keeps folks from seeing or understanding the need for such a change to actually fit some new label. Just a few changes in ideology and poof! "I am X religion (or no religion)...I am Ásatrú/Buddhist/Hindu/Catholic/Atheist/Deist."

Rainbow Mage

Yes I think I understand. You're saying that people's views of human rights, social justice, and similar aren't likely to change much with their worldview...is that right?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Yes I think I understand. You're saying that people's views of human rights, social justice, and similar aren't likely to change much with their worldview...is that right?

I think that is pretty much right. It just takes time and effort to really adapt/adopt the new labels and it can be done...a lot we learn from parents/guardians and culture is kinda locked in though. We can sometimes just switch around the terms and keep trucking on but we get most benefits from hard, honest looks at ourselves and concentrated transformation. Slow and awkward much like evolution I would say is most typical.

I know lots of folks who are Southern Baptist in everything but their claim :D

Rainbow Mage

I'd say that seems likely true, with some exceptions- as there is to just about everything :-D

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Some personal pet peeves:
- Know your stuff: don't use misinformation, stereotypes, or Hollywood
- Be nice: don't call me evil, tell me I'm going to hell, or throw insults
- Respect differences: don't preach or try to convert, please

Respect, kindness, and a little knowledge goes a long way!