• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Commandments by Christ.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not at all. For example He commanded the disiples to "go to the other side" of the Sea of Galilee. I don't think He wants all believers to trek to Israel and cross the Sea of Galilee. "Listen" in the context of Revelation seems good though.

What I'm really curious about is for those who expound that as believers we should follow the commandments because Christ said to, is just what commandments did Christ give us that we should follow.

Jesus was adept par excellence at metaphors and parables. Remember that he was addressing a specific group at a specific time and place. But he spoke in a way that one can and should see past the literalness and say "Hey yeah! That applies all the time everywhere!"

His only commandments really distill down to two:

1. What we call the Golden Rule: Love your enemies as you love yourself, pray for those who hate you, show compassion and love, and treat others the way you want to be treated (some days all that's harder than others).

2. To love God with everything in your power. It's called bhakti in Sanskrit, meaning 'devotion'.

I'm not Christian, but I can easily get on-board with those two commandments. In fact, even not being a Christian, in my beliefs they are requirements for my "salvation/liberation'.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Jesus was adept par excellence at metaphors and parables. Remember that he was addressing a specific group at a specific time and place. But he spoke in a way that one can and should see past the literalness and say "Hey yeah! That applies all the time everywhere!"

His only commandments really distill down to two:

1. What we call the Golden Rule: Love your enemies as you love yourself, pray for those who hate you, show compassion and love, and treat others the way you want to be treated (some days all that's harder than others).

2. To love God with everything in your power. It's called bhakti in Sanskrit, meaning 'devotion'.

I'm not Christian, but I can easily get on-board with those two commandments. In fact, even not being a Christian, in my beliefs they are requirements for my "salvation/liberation'.
So you don't think Jesus was referring to the Mosaic Law?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think if there is anything in Q or Thomas that resembles a commandement, one could start there.

I think Jesus was looking more for a co-op with poor Jews in Galilee more so then forcing commandments. He used parables more so then direct quotes of law.

On point!

Short stories of fair warning.

And the golden rule ...also fair warning.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"If ye love me, keep my commandments." So said Jesus. Now for those of you who wish to say that it is only the words of Jesus that take pre-eminence, please elucidate for me exactly what are the commandments that Jesus commanded. In His words please.

How do you know that these are Jesus' words? please

dantech

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19)

Wouldn't this be his way of saying to keep Moses' law? Therefore making the keeping of Moses' law a commandment?

Also, pretty much all the laws you guys have cited are laws from the old testament that Jesus rephrased. Perhaps he thought these laws were more important than the others, which would explain why he mentioned these specific ones.

I still believe firmly that Jesus had no intention whatsoever in his followers creating a whole religion over him. Not only that, but I do not believe that he would actually agree with it. I think he was a religious Jew who accepted the Jewish law and would not want to see fellow Jews ignoring it because of him.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I still believe firmly that Jesus had no intention whatsoever in his followers creating a whole religion over him. Not only that, but I do not believe that he would actually agree with it. I think he was a religious Jew who accepted the Jewish law and would not want to see fellow Jews ignoring it because of him.

I think he wanted to de-ritualize and re-spiritualize the religion. The rituals were becoming ends in themselves, with no real spiritual value or thought of God. This is the same thing the Buddha did. He railed against the mindless ritualism and lack of spiritualism in the Vedas. Uncanny similiarity.

outhouse

Atheistically
I think he wanted to de-ritualize and re-spiritualize the religion. The rituals were becoming ends in themselves, with no real spiritual value or thought of God. This is the same thing the Buddha did. He railed against the mindless ritualism and lack of spiritualism in the Vedas. Uncanny similiarity.

Not as much that, as bring god in reach of the common poor oppressed people in their home.

He didnt want people to have to go to gods house/temple and pay, feeding the Roman machine and those corrupt Hellenistic Jews in charge of the temple which was also the treasury.

Flat Earth Kyle

Would you consider Matthew 5: 38- 42 commandments, just good advice, or neither?

"38 ¶Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away."

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think not. Once all of the things like "sit in the grass" and the duplication are eliminated there are very few. Give me a few please. So far I think I've been given one or two meaningful ones.
Didn't you read my whole post? I listed several- and they're all meaningful to me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not as much that, as bring god in reach of the common poor oppressed people in their home.

He didnt want people to have to go to gods house/temple and pay, feeding the Roman machine and those corrupt Hellenistic Jews in charge of the temple which was also the treasury.

:yes: Definitely. The priests Pharisees and corrupt officials kept God out of reach of the common people. He gave them hope. When he said the Kingdom of God is at hand, he didn't mean a blaze of thunder and lightning from the skies any day now... "at hand"... right here, right now, within your grasp. He used metaphors, parables and allegories just like any teacher today does, but he also spoke plainly and common-sensically. Why people have read so much more into what he said than he actually did is beyond me. It's the reason, imo, why Christianity is what it is today, but should not be. One of my favorite books is The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta by Swami Prabhavananda. Swami-ji digs deep into the teachings, but goes so deep into them that he brings out their simplicity.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Jesus was a reformer of the teachings of Moses; his goal was to establish true teachings of Moses in letter and spirit, in my opnion.

Likewise Buddha was a reformer of Hinduism.

Shermana

Heretic
1Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2“The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4They tie up heavy loads and put them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.
5“Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteriesa wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them ‘Rabbi.’
8“But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. 9And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ.b 11The greatest among you will be your servant. 12For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

We are apparently supposed to listen to the Pharisees and obey what they tell us, without imitating their hypocrisy, insincerity, and lack of following the Law in key places. Not doing what they do doesn't mean don't obey the Law, it means don't imitate the way they fail at it.

Last edited:

Flat Earth Kyle

:yes: Definitely. The priests Pharisees and corrupt officials kept God out of reach of the common people. He gave them hope. When he said the Kingdom of God is at hand, he didn't mean a blaze of thunder and lightning from the skies any day now... "at hand"... right here, right now, within your grasp. He used metaphors, parables and allegories just like any teacher today does, but he also spoke plainly and common-sensically. Why people have read so much more into what he said than he actually did is beyond me. It's the reason, imo, why Christianity is what it is today, but should not be. One of my favorite books is The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta by Swami Prabhavananda. Swami-ji digs deep into the teachings, but goes so deep into them that he brings out their simplicity.

So would you consider Matthew 5: 38- 42 commandments, just good advice, or neither?

"38 ¶Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away."

Meshak

Would you consider Matthew 5: 38- 42 commandments, just good advice, or neither?

Jesus does not give us suggestion or advice, He gives us commands.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Jesus does not give us suggestion or advice, He gives us commands.
Hmm. Seems the Bible disagrees.

Suggestions and/or advice From Matthew
5:25-26 - "Come to terms quickly with your opponent while you have the chance, or else he may hand you over to the judge and the judge in turn hand you over to the officer of the court and you will be thrown into prison."

5:40-42 - "If a man wants to sue you for your coat, let him have it and your overcoat as well. If anybody forces you to go a mile with him, do more - go two miles with him. Give to the man who asks anything from you, and don't turn away from the man who wants to borrow."

6:1 - "Beware of doing your good deeds conspicuously to catch men's eyes or you will miss the reward of your Heavenly Father."

6:34 - "Don't worry at all then about tomorrow. Tomorrow can take care of itself! One day's trouble is enough for one day."

9:30-31 - Then their sight returned, but Jesus sternly warned them, "Don't let anyone know about his."

10:28 - "Never be afraid of those who can kill the body but are powerless to kill the soul! Far better to stand in awe of the one who has the power to destroy body and soul in the fires of destruction!"

Meshak

Hmm. Seems the Bible disagrees.

Suggestions and/or advice From Matthew
5:25-26 - "Come to terms quickly with your opponent while you have the chance, or else he may hand you over to the judge and the judge in turn hand you over to the officer of the court and you will be thrown into prison."

5:40-42 - "If a man wants to sue you for your coat, let him have it and your overcoat as well. If anybody forces you to go a mile with him, do more - go two miles with him. Give to the man who asks anything from you, and don't turn away from the man who wants to borrow."

6:1 - "Beware of doing your good deeds conspicuously to catch men's eyes or you will miss the reward of your Heavenly Father."

6:34 - "Don't worry at all then about tomorrow. Tomorrow can take care of itself! One day's trouble is enough for one day."

9:30-31 - Then their sight returned, but Jesus sternly warned them, "Don't let anyone know about his."

10:28 - "Never be afraid of those who can kill the body but are powerless to kill the soul! Far better to stand in awe of the one who has the power to destroy body and soul in the fires of destruction!"

What makes you think they are advice?

Skwim

Veteran Member
What makes you think they are advice?
Suggestions and/or advice.

They sounded like suggestions and/or advice, and not like commands. :shrug: Then, of course, is the Bible's description of one of Jesus' remarks as a warning. ("but Jesus sternly warned them 'Don't let anyone know about his.' ") Warnings are not commands; they're more advisory, aren't they.