• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coming to Terms with God

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Do you believe there is a connection between God and specifically humanity or God an creation in general? Or, if not an automatic one, can one be built?

I view God as all things in existence, the interconnected web of all things real (physical and spiritual, while I view the mind as a temporary illusion). So in a way, to me, God and creation are not only connected but cannot be separate. Creation, while still a creation of God, pretty much comes into being, bringing existence onto its own, building upon itself. Basically, God is building himself in my view.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If god(s) and creation are not separate, why use language that refers to them as such? Just something to think about. In my own path, because god(s) and reality are synonymous, I don't use the word "creation" at all as that term implies a separation I do not believe in.

The Sum of Awe

That's probably the best way to say it, yes.

But that is an interesting question, still pending with that as an answer, because what makes an entity a god and what exactly godhood consists of is a varied question; holiness makes godhood, but godhood makes holiness, a circle with no way out. It seems the term can either always be inappropriate or always will be appropriate.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Do you believe there is a connection between God and specifically humanity or God an creation in general? Or, if not an automatic one, can one be built?

I suppose so?

My concept of God has changed over the past year. The God I believe in is similar to Brahman, the Tao, or Paul Tillich's "Ground of being". An infinite reality in which all things originate, and which permeates all existence. Whether or not it created the universe is beyond me.

As such, I suppose there is an inherent connection, since I don't believe it is separate from us or from the universe in general. Can we make a connection to it via prayer, meditation, or contemplation? If one believes so, sure.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Do you mean you think of god as an emergent property of the universe?

I do like this idea. The idea of consciousness and intelligence being emergent properties would fit. However I feel that god is default and what we see as emergent properties would be impossible without existence being in a certain state that allows for sentience. So to put it better I say that our consciousness and intelligence are emergent properties of the source/god.

The Sum of Awe

Do you mean you think of god as an emergent property of the universe?

Somewhat however I don't think that it simplifies to that. That's not an inaccurate description though.

I guess an easy thing to compare it to is a filmstrip. God is the movie (when these still pictures are put together) and the pictures are existence.

Or a painting - all individual parts of the painting (can be narrowed down infinitely from individual people to individual colors, etc) while God would be the whole of the painting, the painting itself.

Or a rock, all of the individual atoms making it up but the atoms all together is the rock.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist

I view God as all things in existence, the interconnected web of all things real (physical and spiritual, while I view the mind as a temporary illusion). So in a way, to me, God and creation are not only connected but cannot be separate. Creation, while still a creation of God, pretty much comes into being, bringing existence onto its own, building upon itself. Basically, God is building himself in my view.
I have reached a realisation over the past couple of weeks...

Spirituality/religion is like a marriage...you need to work at it.

I have been wondering why it is that I was more spiritual when I was younger, then I understood that God/Spirituality is more of a 'mindset' than an actual experience.

When I was younger, I did my sadhana, but I actually lived a 'spiritual life' and brought my experiences into every day awareness instead of isolating them from it - much like I am doing now.

I need to 'make God' and not just believe in God.