• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coincident existence of dinosaurs and man as evidence against the theory of evolution

shmogie

Yo
That is why I would not recommend relocating. It is one of those things where a mistake or over-confidence can have immediate feedback that no one wants.

I have little trouble with dispatching biting insects. Even as an entomologist.

That's interesting. I used to hunt more often, but I remember watching a deer for so long, I did not have the heart to shoot it after a while. Not sure what that means. Pretty sure none of it means we are sissy, if that even applies.
You are an entomologist ? That is cool. As a kid I wanted to be a an entomologist specializing in ants Mymrecology ( ? sp, ?). I had elaborate ant nests made out of plaster, sheet glass and plastic tubing,saved up and bought the technical books, like Wheeler.

Then , reality became real and I had to abandon that dream. Anyway Cool !

Audie

Veteran Member
Yo

You are an entomologist ? That is cool. As a kid I wanted to be a an entomologist specializing in ants Mymrecology ( ? sp, ?). I had elaborate ant nests made out of plaster, sheet glass and plastic tubing,saved up and bought the technical books, like Wheeler.

Odd...that is what I was doing, starting study of
entomology (aquatic was what interested me)
when I got derailed, and then never went back to
it.

Trails not taken!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not in Australia, so not as much as if I were there, but yes, pretty impressive.
Ahh most snakes and spiders leave you alone. They only bite if you accidentally stand on them. Which is admittedly easy to do in the bush. So you just have to thoroughly check your surroundings if you go for a bush walk. Oh and your shoes before wearing them (found a wolf spider hiding in me joggers once when I was in primary school. Baby huntsmans like to sleep in shoes too, if they can fit.)
I remember going for a school camp way back in like grade 8. We all had to learn basic first aid for snake bites, since we were staying pretty far from hospitals. Wrap the bite area super tight and hope like hell the blood flow is slowed enough to get antivenom in time lol

Though there are certain species of both spiders and snakes that will legitimately chase you. Like the aforementioned funnel web. That’s when the average Australian suddenly turns into an Olympic athlete lol.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Audie, dear girl, what is the name of the sect in India ( Hindu ? Buddhist ?) that wear masks so they won´t breathe in an insect and kill it ? Something like ahimsa sticks in my mind,
Ahh that would be the Jains. Very hardcore non violent. The monks even have a brush to sweep insects out of their path, lest they accidentally squish an ant.

Wandering Monk

Certainly if this occurred evolution science would have its credibility really shaken.

An interesting aside is that a ancient wall paintings by the Aborigial people of Australia seem to portray very detailed depictions of dinosaurs known to science..

I take no position on these, but find them fascinating.

Source please.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yo

Yes, I am. I have always liked insects, but it was not my childhood dream, though I spent much of my time collecting and studying them. Originally, I wanted to be a physicist, then later, a chemist, then a molecular biologist, but I kept coming back to the insects, and after taking an entomology course, I was hooked. I knew that was what I wanted and have been happy about it since.

Yes, myrmecology it is. One of the most famous entomologists and one of Americas top scientist is the myrmecologist, E.O. Wilson.

Yeah, I know about reality too. Even when you pick your favorite, there are hidden costs. But getting paid to do what I did for free as a kid is always nice.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Ahh most snakes and spiders leave you alone. They only bite if you accidentally stand on them. Which is admittedly easy to do in the bush. So you just have to thoroughly check your surroundings if you go for a bush walk. Oh and your shoes before wearing them (found a wolf spider hiding in me joggers once when I was in primary school. Baby huntsmans like to sleep in shoes too, if they can fit.)
I remember going for a school camp way back in like grade 8. We all had to learn basic first aid for snake bites, since we were staying pretty far from hospitals. Wrap the bite area super tight and hope like hell the blood flow is slowed enough to get antivenom in time lol

Though there are certain species of both spiders and snakes that will legitimately chase you. Like the aforementioned funnel web. That’s when the average Australian suddenly turns into an Olympic athlete lol.
That is one of the things about the Sydney funnel web spider that I find interesting. All the accounts I have seen indicate it is very aggressive to the point of going after people. There are few other spiders that do this and one other I know of that is reported to do this is a South American species of Loxosceles. This is the genus of the recluse spiders including the common eastern US species, L. reclusa or the brown recluse. Interestingly, and this may not be good news for shmogie, but the South American species may have become established in some places in Arizona. Of course, Arizona is home to three native species in the southern part of the state. It may be that the South American species was a misidentification of an Arizona species or has not actually become established, but was just a stowaway in packing material. I have no more recent information on that.

Still, aggressive behavior like that is fairly uncommon. I would get as close as I can to Olympic-level sprinting as I could in that case too.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
That is one of the things about the Sydney funnel web spider that I find interesting. All the accounts I have seen indicate it is very aggressive to the point of going after people. There are few other spiders that do this and one other I know of that is reported to do this is a South American species of Loxosceles. This is the genus of the recluse spiders including the common eastern US species, L. reclusa or the brown recluse. Interestingly, and this may not be good news for shmogie, but the South American species may have become established in some places in Arizona. Of course, Arizona is home to three native species in the southern part of the state. It may be that the South American species was a misidentification of an Arizona species or has not actually become established, but was just a stowaway in packing material. I have no more recent information on that.

Still, aggressive behavior like that is fairly uncommon. I would get as close as I can to Olympic-level sprinting as I could in that case too.
Oh mate, a funnel web will absolutely chase you, fangs raised, if it feels threatened.
You’d want to be running with wings on your boots if you come across one, trust me. Yikes

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh mate, a funnel web will absolutely chase you, fangs raised, if it feels threatened.
You’d want to be running with wings on your boots if you come across one, trust me. Yikes
That is what I gathered and they will bite multiple times too. They are not tiny spiders either. They have all the intimidation on their side.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
So you are in Australia. I have always wanted to visit. There are several people on here that I have met that are either from there and living in the US or living there now. I have even considered looking for work there and moving there, but another road that reality may not open.

gnostic

The Lost One
No. I know him. We usually go out for beers and chasing does when I am in Caerbannog. I was definitely a bird with big nasty teeth and not a rabbit.
But you do look a rabbit to me.

62192.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
But you do look a rabbit to me.

62192.jpg
I am a rabbit. A very cute, harmless rabbit, with excellent teeth. Nothing to fear from me. Very harmless and friendly. But this bird we were talking about had big nasty teeth. Nothing like my buddy from Caerbannog either. Also a rabbit, but fierce, with big nasty teeth and fangs. I just forgot the 't" in the word "It".

Aren't you from Australia too?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
So you are in Australia. I have always wanted to visit. There are several people on here that I have met that are either from there and living in the US or living there now. I have even considered looking for work there and moving there, but another road that reality may not open.
Yeah mate. Aussie born and bred. It’s pretty good living.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am a rabbit. A very cute, harmless rabbit, with excellent teeth. Nothing to fear from me. Very harmless and friendly. But this bird we were talking about had big nasty teeth. Nothing like my buddy from Caerbannog either. Also a rabbit, but fierce, with big nasty teeth and fangs. I just forgot the 't" in the word "It".

Aren't you from Australia too?
I thought that you looked familiar: